Sqdef 1.4

Alex.

Retired
Sqdef is a tower defense game for the GP2X. Visit the Sqdef site for more info and more screenshots. Sqdef is compatible with GP2X F-100 and F-200 models. Older maps and their scores work fine, so you can carry those over to this new version.

Download Sqdef 1.4 from archive.gp2x.de

sqdef_02.png
sqdef_07.png

s2.gif

What's new in 1.4?

-> new graphics
-> bridges on maps
-> improved balance
-> each building has a specific creature on which it does +50% damage
-> upgradeable Scythe, Trapper, and Colony
-> automatic turret upgrade after every 16 kills
-> two new research items, Ice Pick and Poof
-> option to sell all buildings of the same type at once
-> 60-waves are default, no more selection
-> Map Editor can load maps
-> a more informative upgrade window
-> smaller, faster save files
-> new map pack "New World"

...lots of new things this time around! :)

If you enjoy playing Sqdef, please consider making a PayPal donation to encourage my work! There's a PayPal button on my site. Any amount is appreciated, and in return I will add your name to the game's credits. (Provided future versions will be released) :) Many thanks to everyone who donated so far!

As always, all feedback and comments are appreciated. :) And last but not least, a big thank you to everyone who helped test and improve Sqdef, and everyone who chimed in with ideas along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on another fine release! My favorite GP2X game just got even better! Downloading now...

Excellent work.

Nice to see a lot of new features added; the new graphics and bridges look very good.

Thanks for the update. :)

EDIT: Fun game, but I'm still bad at playing this... I should really play it more often. :rolleyes:

thanks alot Alex! Great update... I can't imagine the game to become any better but I am sure you will find something to improve if anything is left ^^.

Thank you for your nice words everyone. Hope you have fun with this one :)

Alex. said:
Thank you for your nice words everyone. Hope you have fun with this one :)

Alex, there are no words to simply describe the level of joy I get from playing this. You continue to deliver amazing quality time after time, update after update. Thankyou, Truly THANKYOU!!!!

DSR

Glad to hear of the official release and nice to see that you used some of my suggestions from the beta. Cool that all the old map packs work too and knowing that I put every map pack on your site in my maps directory. Additions are great and graphic scheme is probably the best sqdef has had. Thanks for all your work tweaking this to perfection Alex.

One small issue though and could possibly be just me: I'm hearing some static or distortion right after a sound is played, most notable with the sound after an enemy is killed and when the volume is up high. Not too big a deal since sound isn't too important in the game but thought I would note it. I didn't notice that in the beta though which is kinda weird.

Top stuff.

I meant to report a bug in the previous version but never got round to it because I assumed a new version would be coming out at some point. I was getting lock ups on the 59-60th stages in some of the maze pack levels. I'll give them a try with the new version!

Oh god... whyyyyy must you do this to meeeee? Now I won't get any work done at all!

Seriously though, you bastard... ok I'm done :lol:. Looks great just from the list of improvements, I can't wait to give this a try later today! :)

Thanks for all your replies and compliments :)

jbrodack said:
Glad to hear of the official release and nice to see that you used some of my suggestions from the beta. Cool that all the old map packs work too and knowing that I put every map pack on your site in my maps directory. Additions are great and graphic scheme is probably the best sqdef has had. Thanks for all your work tweaking this to perfection Alex.

One small issue though and could possibly be just me: I'm hearing some static or distortion right after a sound is played, most notable with the sound after an enemy is killed and when the volume is up high. Not too big a deal since sound isn't too important in the game but thought I would note it. I didn't notice that in the beta though which is kinda weird.
Users' ideas played a very large part in putting this game together since the very beginning (so thanks again for your feedback :). I didn't change anything to the sound since the last version, but I remember it never sounded particularly good at high volumes, exactly the problem you're describing.

Gruntfuggly said:
Top stuff.

I meant to report a bug in the previous version but never got round to it because I assumed a new version would be coming out at some point. I was getting lock ups on the 59-60th stages in some of the maze pack levels. I'll give them a try with the new version!
Oops, I'm afraid most if not all of the MazePak maps don't work anymore. I put a max limit of 20 possible paths, and some of those maps have hundreds :eek:

I still have enough to do with ONE Path. :lol: This one level from the new pack "squares" or so looks interesting but somehow I still have no luck with multi Path maps. ^_^

Well, the Game is more and more fun, I love all the new options and possibilities. :)
Some of my game experiences:

sqdef-0000623o.png
sqdef-000104pe.png

I have no Pic of it but I was able to push the Skythe to over 50K Damage per "arm" :D

Oh nice. How did you program the bridges? I have some ideas, but they are quite complicated.

fusion_power said:
I still have enough to do with ONE Path. :lol: This one level from the new pack "squares" or so looks interesting but somehow I still have no luck with multi Path maps. ^_^

Well, the Game is more and more fun, I love all the new options and possibilities. :)
Some of my game experiences:

http://www.abload.de/img/sqdef-0000623o.png
http://www.abload.de/img/sqdef-000104pe.png

I have no Pic of it but I was able to push the Skythe to over 50K Damage per "arm" :D

Awesome screenshots, mind if I add them to my page? And yeah, the Scythe's damage can get immense as long as it's got a little space around to build Armories :)

KungPhoo said:
Oh nice. How did you program the bridges? I have some ideas, but they are quite complicated.
Each tile on the map is a number 0-empty, 1-road, 2-horizontal-bridge, 3-vertical-bridge. The path finder just looks for all logical movements (ie. you can only enter a bridge from its open ends, etc.). Then each creature is either under a bridge or over a bridge, which decides their drawing order: under-bridge creatures, bridges, followed by the rest of the creatures.

Back