Sqdef 1.2

Thanks for all the compliments everyone :)

fusion_power said:
Well, I have another suggestion. Because we have so many new maps and we will get more and more. maybe the ingame Map preview could be a little bit more detailed? For example the locations of the non-building dirt areas could be visible and the Start position of the wave? Would help alot for the quick overview. :)
Very nice idea, I'll implement it in 1.3. Similarly, save/load previews will also display the built towers, kind of like a snapshot of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
Thanks for all the compliments everyone :)

fusion_power said:
Well, I have another suggestion. Because we have so many new maps and we will get more and more. maybe the ingame Map preview could be a little bit more detailed? For example the locations of the non-building dirt areas could be visible and the Start position of the wave? Would help alot for the quick overview. :)
Very nice idea, I'll implement it in 1.3. Similarly, save/load previews will also display the built towers, kind of like a snapshot of the game.

Hey, thats a good Idea to. :)
I had a quick look into the new Mappacks. I doubt, that these Labyrinth Maps are all full tested till wave 45... :lol:
Well, a "demo record/playback" function would be awesome to, so we could sit back and enjoy how other users build their stuff and make their way through the waves. ^^

If there is one reason to own the GP2X this is it.
Another update of my favorite game great. I love the new additions, levels are also a lot tougher now.
I have to say, that I liked the old look better though.

Great work.

Do the +50% damage towers affect the quad-fortresses? Also, what is the difference between the $400 and $1000 towers? The indicated range appears to be the same (maybe I just haven't looked carefully enough)...

Hey I really like all the new ideas being suggested, especially the detailed maps for saves and level select. I also really like the idea of replaying the maps that have already been completed to review strategy (like playing a tape).

Thanks for continuing to work on this one Alex, definately my favorite on the gp2x.

Hi,

Two ideas:

- What about defending enemies, that could shoot bullets at your towers, causing damages at them (materialized by the loss of upgrade points, could be a boss only ability). Then you'd have to repair your towers (upgrade them again).

- What about an attack mode, in which you'd have to buy appropriate units with an initial amount of money, and send them through a well defended level. You could select the path they'd take. Each time one of your unit manages to reach the exit, you gain some money to buy new units. There could also be missions like "save 80% of your units", etc.

I hope these are fresh ideas and that I'm not repeating the same old things over and over :)

Bye !

Magic Sam

EDIT : some errors...

Magic Sam said:
- What about defending ennemies, that could shoot bullets at your towers, causing damages at them (materialized by the loss of upgrade points, could be a boss only ability). Then you'd have to repair your towers (upgrade them again).

- What about an attack mode, in which you'd have to buy appropriate units with an initial amount of money, and send them through a well defended level. You could select the path they'd take. Each time one of your unit manage to reach the exit, you gain some money to buy new units. There could also be missions like "save 80% of your units", etc.
The first idea does make things more interesting, if the enemies could retaliate, but it might become annoying as well. :p

The second one sounds nice also, but I find it to be straying away from what Sqdef is all about, it's a "Tower Defense Game".

Manjuu said:
The first idea does make things more interesting, if the enemies could retaliate, but it might become annoying as well. :p
I agree with you, that's why I wrote it could (should ?) be a boss only ability :) Btw thanks for the new word added to my vocabulary, "retaliate" :) These boards are far more useful than my former english classes :)

The second one sounds nice also, but I find it to be straying away from what Sqdef is all about, it's a "Tower Defense Game".

A "Tower Defense Game" doesn't tell which side of the fence you are on :) But I do agree with you again, that could change the true concept of this game. Consider these two ideas more like bonus modes.

Gruntfuggly said:
Do the +50% damage towers affect the quad-fortresses? Also, what is the difference between the $400 and $1000 towers? The indicated range appears to be the same (maybe I just haven't looked carefully enough)...
The $400 has a range of 1 tile (covering 8 towers) and the $1000 one has a range of 2 tiles (covering 24 towers). Since the Quad Fortress is 2x2, only the Armory with the 2-tile range can affect it.

Magic Sam said:
Hi,

Two ideas:

- What about defending ennemies, that could shoot bullets at your towers, causing damages at them (materialized by the loss of upgrade points, could be a boss only ability). Then you'd have to repair your towers (upgrade them again).
Nice idea, maybe some bosses could leave a trail of bullets behind them, like a jet, and when a number of bullets touch a turret, it goes down one level. I'll try to include this in 1.3 :)

Magic Sam said:
- What about an attack mode, in which you'd have to buy appropriate units with an initial amount of money, and send them through a well defended level. You could select the path they'd take. Each time one of your unit manage to reach the exit, you gain some money to buy new units. There could also be missions like "save 80% of your units", etc.
That would fit well in a series of puzzles, along with campaigns. There's still a lot to be done on the regular game for now, but I'll keep this in mind for the future.

I think Magic Sam has some good ideas, this game could become much more than what it is, and I'm sure the donations would pour in. :)

I saw someone post a screen in this thread so here is one of my favorites.
sqdef00013yc9.png

Also I am currently making a map pack and I will post it here when I am done.

Oh, one more thing, don't know if anyone noticed but when you are upgrading a unit and you decide not to, the no button still upgrades the unit. The no button works when you back out of deleting a unit. I realize that you can just press the x button, I am just letting you guys know about this little bug.

whiskthecat said:
Also I am currently making a map pack and I will post it here when I am done.
Awesome :)

whiskthecat said:
Oh, one more thing, don't know if anyone noticed but when you are upgrading a unit and you decide not to, the no button still upgrades the unit. The no button works when you back out of deleting a unit. I realize that you can just press the x button, I am just letting you guys know about this little bug.
Hmm, you must have pressed the A button to upgrade to the max right? I'll add a check to cancel that as well, when 'No' is selected. I'll do a bug fix release this weekend. Thanks for reporting! If you or anyone else finds any bugs or glitches please let me know.

Seeing the screenshots of fusion_power I noticed he used a lot of overlapping towers that increase power with 50%. Do those overlapping towers increase offensive powers of surrounding turrets additionally?
So, do two 50%-increase-towers increase firepower with 50% + 50% extra power?

Hello,

awsome game, a must have on the GP2x. I played the older version till i got all medals.

Three things from me:

1. Saving doesn't work for me in Snakes n Ladders (45 Rounds) and after i completed the level i found myself in the GP2x Menu. I know it's already mentioned but not the saving thing. When you save everything seems normal but when you try to load, the older savestate is still there.

2. I completed 1 Map (the first of the 1.2 ones) with all 3 medals but there is no 60 Round Bonus mode. How can I access it ?

3. how do i change the tiles in the editor. It says control stick but the only thing i can put on the map is the swamp tile. When i press the control stick button, nothing is happening.

Thanks again for hours of fun
Wolfgang

ledro said:
Seeing the screenshots of fusion_power I noticed he used a lot of overlapping towers that increase power with 50%. Do those overlapping towers increase offensive powers of surrounding turrets additionally?
So, do two 50%-increase-towers increase firepower with 50% + 50% extra power?
When you look at the one picture, you may notice a fire turret with an 300% firepower increasement. ;) YES, the armory towers add theirr strange, thets the reason why i'm using this chessboard like array. You need the power in higher levels. :)

the_Agent said:
3. how do i change the tiles in the editor. It says control stick but the only thing i can put on the map is the swamp tile. When i press the control stick button, nothing is happening.
with SELECT you switch between editor and preview mode. in preview mode, you draw the swamp, in the edit mode, you draw the road. ;)

the_Agent said:
Hello,

awsome game, a must have on the GP2x. I played the older version till i got all medals.

Three things from me:
1. The same bug affects every file saving part involving that particular map. I'll release a fix for that this weekend. :)

2. Start a new game with that map, and the wave select menu should have options for 10, 24, 45, and 60 waves. If that's not the case please send me the hiscore file Hiscores/MapName.sqhsc and I'll take a look at it.

And yes, each Armory gives a 50% damage boost, the total percentage affecting a building is displayed in the top-right corner of its sell or upgrade window. If you have the space and the money, you can get a pretty powerful defense going without too many attack buildings. B)

Alex. said:
And yes, each Armory gives a 50% damage boost, the total percentage affecting a building is displayed in the top-right corner of its sell or upgrade window. If you have the space and the money, you can get a pretty powerful defense going without too many attack buildings. B)
Awesome, looks like I have a new strategy now. :lol:

Hello,

first i think the game is worth some money, so let's do a little donation so we get some more great versions :)

OK, the 60 Round Bonus Mode is working for me, was a little blind :)
It would be great if there is an highscore for this mode too.

How about slowing down platforms for the enemys. I thought of putting them directly on the raod (4 tiles big).
But they have to be very expensive.

Greetings
Wolfgang

the_Agent said:
Hello,

first i think the game is worth some money, so let's do a little donation so we get some more great versions :)
Thanks for your support! :)

the_Agent said:
OK, the 60 Round Bonus Mode is working for me, was a little blind :)
It would be great if there is an highscore for this mode too.
The next bug fix release will start keeping track of when you won a 60-wave game, and maybe there'll be more unlockables and bonuses in a future version to properly reward that accomplishment. I think someone suggested an all-boss mode in the older thread, that would be nice to also include.

the_Agent said:
How about slowing down platforms for the enemys. I thought of putting them directly on the raod (4 tiles big).
But they have to be very expensive.

Greetings
Wolfgang
I'll consider this for a future version, no promises though as there's plenty to do already for 1.3 :)

Download Sqdef 1.2A from archive.gp2x.de

sqdef2.png
sqdef3.png

Here's what's new:

-> fixed a bug that crashed the game when dealing with certain maps (such as Snakes 'n Ladders)
-> added Fusion_Power's 4 maps to One-Point-Two, making it a 20-map pack!
-> map preview in map browser and save/load panels shows dirt tiles
-> editor road-drawing mode shows dirt tiles

Thanks for everyone's feedback and to everyone who made a donation! :)

http://www.artraid.com/sqdef/

Back