Sqdef 1.1e

Alex.

Retired
SqDef-1-1-1.png

Download link

Sqdef is a tower defense game. The goal is to prevent enemies from getting from one side of the map to the other, by placing towers along their way. There are 9 different buildings, with upgrades, tech research, difficulty levels, and a whole lot of maps to try your defense skills on!

1.1E is a bug-fix release. Here are the changes:

- fixed money going negative (thanks prairiefire)
- added status messages to the loading screen
- fixed crash when selecting maps with large hiscores (thanks the_fizk)
- fixed a rounding error when upgrading a turret more levels at a time
- fixed crash when loading a saved game from a map that does not exist anymore
- fixed the cursor not automatically selecting a building after loading a saved game
- fixed crash at the splash screen if you did not skip it in 2-3 minutes (thanks yaustar; that was a weird, weird bug)
- fixed the selling menu appearing too fast after just building the secret tower
[cut]
Make sure you take a look at the included readme.txt file, as it tells you how to install/upgrade Sqdef. All maps and hiscore files from the previous 1.1/A/C/D work, however saves do not.

I'll try to get 1.2 with the improved balance and map editor out sometime in the holiday season. For now school is keeping me busy, so this is the last you'll hear from me on this front for a while.

Thanks for all the feedback Sqdef received so far. Have fun! :)

- Alex

Edit: changed to archive link[/cut]

Last edited by a moderator:
cool...i really need to go back and get the gold on PJ...it's so elusive. and now i won't have to delete my score files anymore to avoid menu crashes :D

thanks for the release. what are the current plans for 1.2? I'd like to see some sort of boss rush mode where every wave is a boss. also maybe a tower with explosive damage that does some splash damage around the enemy it hits or leaves fire that would do less damage than a direct hit but still do some extra damage. anyway the game is fun as always

jbrodack said:
what are the current plans for 1.2?
<empty promises>

On-GP2X map editor, dynamic pricing for factory buildings and extra lives (depending on how much $ you have), unlockable 60 wave mode after winning all three medals on a map, damage boosting factory (range of 1 square, upgradeable to 2), quad tower with diminishing strength (starts out very strong, but fades after 3 or 4 waves and becomes no more powerful than regular towers - this will replace the existing quad-tower). Then some niceties like showing stats in upgrade menu even if a building is non-upgradeable, and messages that commend you for beating a wave or that warn you before a boss comes.

I like that boss rush idea, it would be a nice unlockable alongside the 60 wave mode, if you beat the 10, 24, and 45 modes :)

I didn't forget about campaigns, but I'll likely have enough on my hands as it is, so those will come in 1.3.

</empty promises>

prairiefire said:
Thanks Alex.! Good luck with your semester.

Thanks a lot for the great game and update, still love playing it!

quad tower with diminishing strength (starts out very strong, but fades after 3 or 4 waves and becomes no more powerful than regular towers - this will replace the existing quad-tower)
Sounds weird o_O dont really get the idea behind this...

Quiest said:

quad tower with diminishing strength (starts out very strong, but fades after 3 or 4 waves and becomes no more powerful than regular towers - this will replace the existing quad-tower)

Yupp, I love the current Quad Towers. The only chance to survive highest Waves. :) When we get more waves, we need powerful equipment. Maybe these Damage boost towers can handle this. I'm dreaming of possible unlimited powerful buildings to fight unlimited powerful creatures at wave 1000... :lol:

Well, your future plans sounds very good. I had similar Ideas. I'm long waiting for Tower-Stats in the upgrade menu. for example. :) Boss-Warning and ingame Messages are cool to. So every boss could have an unique Name. "WARNING! Next Boss: SquaryRoundy" :lol:

Campaigns could be funny to. there could be Missions where you have to survive a special ammount of waves or have to beat some waves only with one type of turret/tower Or have to kill an strong boss as fast as possible. Or you have to kill an wave, before an AI player does so. ;) (he has its own towers)

how about a 'fun' mode where you're given a lot of money to start? (and maybe then you can't collect any money throughout, so you're initial setup is critical)? :) i guess this would only really work if you had the ability to have all the creeps come out at once.

Quiest said:

Well it will allow for a much stronger tower than what is currently available, however the game would be too easy if it stayed strong forever. I'll play around with this idea, we'll see how it turns out. I'm glad you still like playing it :)

fusion_power said:
"WARNING! Next Boss: SquaryRoundy" :lol:
:lol:

fusion_power said:
Campaigns could be funny to. there could be Missions where you have to survive a special ammount of waves or have to beat some waves only with one type of turret/tower Or have to kill an strong boss as fast as possible. Or you have to kill an wave, before an AI player does so. ;) (he has its own towers)
There's indeed a lot that could be done with the campaigns. I'm also thinking about missions that limit the buildings at your disposal, such as no towers, or no factories. Or pre-built special towers, not available otherwise.

prairiefire said:
how about a 'fun' mode where you're given a lot of money to start? (and maybe then you can't collect any money throughout, so you're initial setup is critical)? :) i guess this would only really work if you had the ability to have all the creeps come out at once.
This would work well as a campaign, where you start with a lot of money, but have to manage it across more waves.

Thanks for your comments everyone :)

Hey, maybe you guys can help me out here - can you test Sqdef via TV-out? I remember someone using a previous version saying that the image is not properly displayed. Any details, such as photos of the TV screen would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Also, if it doesn't work, could you also try it with the TV-out fixer? http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,1577

(I don't have a tv cable, which is why I'm asking)

Back