Release Sparks

haltux

Still Fresh
Hello everyone,

Sparks is a vectorial shooter that I have written, inspired by Vektar and Geom. Wars.

It includes an arcade mode, as well as several custom modes, which are actually mini-games featuring each of the enemies you can encounter in the game.

Standard Arcade game:

screenshot1.jpg

Asteroid mini-game:

screenshot2.jpg

Missile launchers, very tricky opponents:

screenshot3.jpg

Video by tony11 (technical test level, not really showing the gameplay):

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9kyybN2zj3U?feature=oembed

Pandora package: Sparks-0.4.4.pnd Sparks-0.4.5.pnd

Source: http://github.com/haltux/Sparks

The game is not finished, but is perfectly playable and even quite enjoyable. Missing elements include sound and score saving. Difficulty should maybe be tweaked a bit.

The game runs on PC and Pandora (with double analogic keyboard) but has been written with Pandora in mind.

I have some performance issue on Pandora (PyGame, software SDL...), and I would like some Pandora owner (I don't have any Pandora) to help me with some feedback:

- Please start level Custom/"Test 1 enemy", Custom/"Test 10 enemies", and Custom/"Test 30 enemies", press "f" which displays FPS (works only in game) and tell me the frame rate in each of these levels when you don't shoot. Then please shoot as much as you can on these enemies (on level 30) and tell me how low the FPS go.

- Edit the .sparks file in your home /pandora/appdata/Sparks directory

- Change "precompute_sprites: 1" to "precompute_sprites: 0"

- Tell me the frame rate for the three tests level as well with this new configuration.

I would also like someone to give me button numbers for Menu, Start and Select on Pandora.

By the way: there is no sound. Any contribution would be welcome.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! This is my favourite style of game, cheers haltux.

I wont have my Pandora until after xmas most probably, but If you need someone to test the PC version for you just send me a PM (I've got a WinXP gaming PC, media PC that runs Ubuntu and 2 dual nub controllers).

Well, I don't really need someone to test the pc version, but please feel free to do so. Just download the source from git (link provided in the first post), connect your pad, double-click Sparks.py and play! You could have to change resolution in the config file if your creen does no support 1920x1200.

This looks great, I'll be sure to try it out when the Pandora's continue rolling out.

Cool. I can't wait to get my Panda and try this. I love playing Grid Wars, and I change the graphics from time to time as well. So I have to ask, does it use editable images or they coded into the game? Also, despite being a work in progress, I chuckled when I saw you play the highest available difficulty and at the end it says "Try a higher difficulty" at the end...lol, but that's just cause I'm tired and hurting form last night/this mornings 3 hours of shoveling snow.

You might consider using AS3SFXR as a quick way of grinding out sounds. And, following the open nature of the Pandora, leave the sounds exposed to the user so they can substitute their own. And submit 'em!

larry

Very nice game, thank you!

I had to configure the controller on PC, to swap the axis. I have Linux and PS1 controller. In case someone else has a similar issue, I explain the change needed.

edit config file Sparks/cfg/sparks-pc.cfg

Change the lines

joy_fire_x : 2

joy_fire_y : 3

to

joy_fire_x : 3

joy_fire_y : 2

wow! awesome game!

what's the easiest way to switch nubs? I want to fly with the right one, and shot with the left one. By default it's opposite. Are there any other keybindings that I should know about?

If that's a python game (right?) then I could edit the source code, without recompiling. How do I get into .pnd to tickle the source? :)

(me thinks about adding inertial forces)

If that's a python game (right?) then I could edit the source code, without recompiling. How do I get into .pnd to tickle the source? :)

(me thinks about adding inertial forces)
Or you could go straight to the source, so to speak. Download and unpack the source tarball, and sparks-pandora.sh will run without installing. And, of course, you can modify the source and run your modifications like this.

But if you're going to make edits, I suggest forking the whole repository. That will make it easy to push your changes back to haltux if they turn out cool.

Can we have sound in this? Please? The lack of it kills the game for me. Some good music would be nice, too.

I do not plan to invest too much time on Sparks, considering that I don't and I won't own a Pandora. But if someone provide me with sounds, I'll be more than happy to integrate them into the game.

EDIT: I realize how old this thread is. For some reason, I have just received the notificaiton.

Glad to see you still exist! Anyway, if you provide me with a list of events that justify sounds, I can perhaps create some. I don't have my Pandora on me unfortunately (it's out for RMA), so I can't check myself. I'll use BFXR. Maybe you can also add in the ability to use your own music? Doesn't need to be fancy; just ship it with a blank .ogg by default, called "music.ogg" or something, and allow the user to change it out. (You can modify a PND by replacing files in the appdata, if you know where the original file is and what it's named.) This way you don't need to screw around with asking authors for permission to use music or looking for royalty-free music.

Back