'space Varments' Released

Non-interactive backround ruins the game. Bulletholes/smoke on ground would be great :)

Well I improved a bit, I just massacred my way up to 68442!

I really like the scoring system, a great way to reward patience and blend strategy with senseless destruction :D

Fun, the cursor moves too slow with a joystick, and the purple bouncy things are too hard to hit.

Not nearly enough blood though... Some should stick to the screen and stuff :)

Great stuff as usual. My wife walked past as I was playing it and commented that it looked “kinda yucky” which is always one of my benchmarks of quality.

As far as a commercial release, I would be interested, and if you are looking for boss battle ideas I would nominate a Dr. Phil likeness as I am quite certain he is in fact some sort of malevolent alien creature in real life anyhow…

Either way, blood is cool and stuff!

Really a fun game, ruckage. Nice graphics and an excellent sound.
Good luck for your commercial project...

Regards,
Stephan

notaz said:
Thanks for another quality release!

It would be nice for F100 users like me to have some modifier button which increases cursor speed, to be able switch sides of screen fast.
I suggested a cursor speed throttle button. I think Ruckage went with an acceleration factor, so that the longer you hold a direction, the faster it goes.

I like that the martians typically have a set pattern of how they move, once they come onto the screen. This allows us F100 users to be able to anticipate where they are going to end up, and we can have the crosshair waiting for them!

The little purple guys are kind of tricky. I like to stay right around their highest point in their jump. That is usually where you can get the cleanest shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool game with great graphics and sound. not sure how it will be as a commercial game but ive liked all your other games so i should like that. this is definitely the most demanding touchscreen game so far. can anyone recommend any good cheap replacements for the gp2x stylus i could buy online? im based in the US. hope no thinks its off topic since it has to do with playing this game

jbrodack said:
cool game with great graphics and sound. not sure how it will be as a commercial game but ive liked all your other games so i should like that. this is definitely the most demanding touchscreen game so far. can anyone recommend any good cheap replacements for the gp2x stylus i could buy online? im based in the US. hope no thinks its off topic since it has to do with playing this game
Buy a DS one.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I loved it, played it all the way through, and that boss had me laughing, crazy bleedin' sockets.

Second, a little problem, my thumb joint starts to make a popping sound and my hand hurts using the edge button as fire (could be an injury, or it could be trying to hold onto the darn system and press a little tiny button at the same time, probably a combination).

Could you make the fire a different button? Or mirror it to the one across from it as well?

I don't know how people are expected to use an edge button, it is one thing that is really painful for me, a handheld or a controller is meant to be naturally cradled in the palm, and you can't do that and jam an outside edge button for a solid hour and not get a cramp (or however long you play the game).

I had a lot of trouble aiming at the faster guys, the squids and the super fast brownish ones, it is probably the MK2 unit and that crapola stick (the unit is brand new, the stick is just a piece of crap to begin with, very hard to change direction), but it was disconcerting nonetheless.

I am very impressed that you made the game easy to play through, and at the same time a challenge if you wanted to go for a higher score.

Sign me up for the preorder!

I would suggest multiplayer (up to four) support, with differently coloured blood depending on who shot the varment in question.

Now for the important question: will Space Varments 2 feature any blood?

I finally got the archive to let me download this (had to clear the browser cache) and tried it out last night..

Man this game is a BLAST :) The touchscreen tapping is also extremely accurate, much more than SDL in my opinion. Did you do additional filtering or something?

The artwork and music and sound are great, thanks a lot ruckage

Ruckage, how do you get the mouse to move so smoothly? No matter what I do, it always seems wierd when you change directions in my program...

nubie said:
Could you make the fire a different button? Or mirror it to the one across from it as well?
Sure, I'll add it in and release an updated version soon.

emphy said:
I would suggest multiplayer (up to four) support, with differently coloured blood depending on who shot the varment in question.

Now for the important question: will Space Varments 2 feature any blood?
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I won't be able to add simultaneous multiplayer as it is primarily a touchscreen game and there would be no way of distinguishing players though I might consider some form of multiplayer where you take turns, this wouldn't be a priority however since the 2x is a handheld and single player is more important. As for the most important question - yes there will be gallons of blood :) I have some great ideas for some good splatter effects, and some will interact with the background, eg if an alien is shot against a wall it will slowly slide down leaving behind a bloody trail.

Senor Quack said:
Man this game is a BLAST :) The touchscreen tapping is also extremely accurate, much more than SDL in my opinion. Did you do additional filtering or something?

The artwork and music and sound are great, thanks a lot ruckage
Thanks very much. Pat really did a great job on the songs for this. I haven't done anything fancy with the touchscreen, most of the time the touchscreen is extremely accurate it just has the odd jitter on the x axis but I think because in this game you only tap on the screen you don't notice the occasional anomaly.

zacaj said:
Ruckage, how do you get the mouse to move so smoothly? No matter what I do, it always seems wierd when you change directions in my program...
There are several ways to smooth out the movement, the way I did it was to add acceleration to the pointer depending on the direction pressed. I'll paste the bit of code below in case it helps, I'm sure you'll be able to follow it but if you need any help just PM me.

[codebox]
private
xspeed;
yspeed;

if(key(_up))yspeed--;end
if(key(_down))yspeed++;end
if(key(_left))xspeed--;end
if(key(_right))xspeed++;end

if(key(_up)==0 and yspeed<0)yspeed+=1;end
if(key(_down)==0 and yspeed>0)yspeed-=1;end
if(key(_left)==0 and xspeed<0)xspeed+=1;end
if(key(_right)==0 and xspeed>0)xspeed-=1;end