Space Varments - Invading A Gp2x Near You Soon.....

Looks excellent Ruckage - looking forward to it as ever.

A small point though, and only so you can rest assured you're making an informed decision:

When you say "varments", are you perhaps just maybe thinking "varmints" as below?

"Varmint" (occasionally "varmit") is an American English colloquialism. The term describes farm pests which raid farms as opposed to infest farms: mainly predators such as foxes and coyotes, sometimes even wolves; but also (to a lesser degree) herbivores and burrowing animals which directly damage crops and land. Although this is not a prevalent term in Standard Written English, it is a common descriptor for certain kinds of weapons and pest control situations (e.g., "varmint guns", "varmint hunting", "pesky varmint").

There's no reason you necessarily need to be, and it doesn't matter if you're not... but just in case you were thinking that.... (and I thought you were)...

shinra said:
Great, another cool game, tnx ruckage, I love your creations, any plans for a shmup game? :).
At some point I will definitely make a shmup, though an old skool style game not a bullet hell as I'm not a fan of of those (apart from maybe Ikaruga).

Kojote said:
<stupid suggestions>i want a vulcan mode with green blood - lifelong and prosper</stupid suggestions>
I'm actually doing a version with different coloured blood (though not necessarily green.)

Esn said:
Wow. I can't know about the gameplay, but those graphics sure look very nice and very professional. Just out of curiosity, what program(s) do you make them in?
Thanks very much, all the graphics were drawn in photoshop but as they a pixel drawings they could have been done in just about any graphics app.

kuehnau said:
This looks awesome, this is something I'd totally pay for.
Well I don't think you'd necessarily want to pay for this version as it's quite short and very simple gameplay wise but stay tuned as I'm actually considering making a commercial version of this game though nothing concrete yet. If I do make a commercial version it would have to be much bigger than this game with a bit more depth and polish. I have some plans so I'll reveal more later and feedback from this basic version will help shape any future version.

Line O'Sevens said:
Looks excellent Ruckage - looking forward to it as ever.

A small point though, and only so you can rest assured you're making an informed decision:

When you say "varments", are you perhaps just maybe thinking "varmints" as below?
Thanks, 'varments' is actually spelled that way intentionally. It doesn't seem to be a widely used variation of the word and only appears in a handful of online dictionaries but I like the look of it that way and the few dictionaries it does appear in I like the simple meaning:

Noun: varment
Usage: N. Amer

1. Any usually predatory wild animal considered undesirable; e.g., coyote
- varmint [N. Amer]

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks fantastic ruckage! Can't wait....

Your work is of a very high quality. It's inspirational for me to try and reach the same level with my work.

Good stuff! :)

hahah that big green alien looks hilarious. cant wait to try this game.

hopefully it will have some crazy music to match!

twojame said:
This looks fantastic ruckage! Can't wait....

Your work is of a very high quality. It's inspirational for me to try and reach the same level with my work.

Good stuff! :)
Thanks, I'm really flattered.

BtizeF200 said:
hahah that big green alien looks hilarious. cant wait to try this game.

hopefully it will have some crazy music to match!
You won't be disappointed with the music, Pat has done a great job and created a selection of tracks that sound like a cross between 'Mars attacks' and 'Beetle juice'. Just perfect in my opinion.

Quiest said:
Quiest said:
I wonder if there will be blood in this game...

whiskthecat said:
zingringo said:
there will be blood

I am pretty upset that you got to post this before I did. :D
Bah, I was hoping you'll get the movie reference from my post...
I figured there was some kind of veiled movie reference going on here. I tried to piece together some kind of punchline involving typewriters and left feet, but it wasn't really working out for me. Wait, wrong movie...

I got a chance to preview a working build of Space Varments for the first time yesterday, and it was the first time I got to see it all, (and hear my music on top of it.) Despite the fact that I had to play the analog version (I don't have an F200) the controls were really good. Ruckage did a good job of making the crosshair move around smoothly, and quick enough to nail all the aliens. There is plenty of blood. The creatures all splatter then you shoot them. They even make a splatter noise when hit. It's really cool. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but if you can reach level 20, you can fight the boss who takes up the whole screen. It's totally Awesome! You guys are going to love this game. A worthy Ruckage game!

ruckage said:
At some point I will definitely make a shmup, though an old skool style game not a bullet hell as I'm not a fan of of those (apart from maybe Ikaruga).
:) yep old school, I love them too, it'll be cool a shmup coded by ruckage.

ruckage said:
Esn said:
Wow. I can't know about the gameplay, but those graphics sure look very nice and very professional. Just out of curiosity, what program(s) do you make them in?
Thanks very much, all the graphics were drawn in photoshop but as they a pixel drawings they could have been done in just about any graphics app.

Ah, so you don't draw them in larger resolution first and then shrink them? I've always wondered if pixel graphics were done pixel-by-pixel or on a larger scale first...

Don Miguel said:
oh!!
i love the boss design!!!

way to go, guys!!!
Wow. :blink: I never realized that you were a member here!

Back