Source Of Snes Of Yoyo Free (0.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, so all of this hype and hope is dashed because GPH decided to skimp on something that might have made this system an even $200 US tops? This really deflates my inner tube. :(

New battle plan: :unsure:

WILL enjoy the GP2X for what it is......and will keep closer tabs on the XGP! :ph34r:

Matter of fact, maybe we should compile a list of shortcomings noticed and have someone correspond with the XGP half of Gamepark (or whatever it is) so that they can get it right the 1st time.

And tell them to install the damn screen themselves, for goodness sakes! :lol:

We don't have to ditch Linux, but it does mean that we would have to take full control of the audio hardware (the same as if the application was for HH-mode) if we use the 940 to do audio decoding.

So, it's certainly possible under Linux, but it's also a lot more work, and if anyone decides to run software in the background (eg. MP3 players, like they are doing now), it's more than likely going to crash as the two processor try and use the exact same hardware at the same time.

GPH didn't really skimp on the hardware - you can't get a MMSP2 with MMU for both processors. The only thing they could have done is provided static ram for the second processor, but they decided to put the Netchip2272 there instead (which people also asked for).

Squidge posted on Feb 21 2006 at 04:12 PM said:
..GPH didn't really skimp on the hardware - you can't get a MMSP2 with MMU for both processors. The only thing they could have done is provided static ram for the second processor, but they decided to put the Netchip2272 there instead (which people also asked for).

What is the netchip for? Was it worth fucking up chances for perfect SNES and GBA for that? :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Feb 21 2006 at 06:14 PM said:
What is the netchip for? Was it worth fucking up chances for perfect SNES and GBA for that? :angry:
When activated it draws an animated gif of a korean guy dropping his pants to reveal a tattoo of someone pissing all over the name DaveC.

Seems like they really did put it there just to piss on your chances of perfect SNES.

Ah well.

FluffyPanda posted on Feb 21 2006 at 05:33 PM said:
When activated it draws an animated gif of a korean guy dropping his pants to reveal a tattoo of someone pissing all over the name DaveC.

Seems like they really did put it there just to piss on your chances of perfect SNES.

Ah well.
Well, turns out GPH did something right...

DaveC posted on Feb 21 2006 at 07:14 PM said:
Squidge posted on Feb 21 2006 at 04:12 PM said:
..GPH didn't really skimp on the hardware - you can't get a MMSP2 with MMU for both processors. The only thing they could have done is provided static ram for the second processor, but they decided to put the Netchip2272 there instead (which people also asked for).

Calm down.

How do you know the chances were "fucked up"? People were getting very good results from much more limited hardware than gp2x. The second core issues aren't making using it impossible. It is not so straightforward what it could be but it's too early to asume anything.

I could tell how the Playstation2 or Nintendo64 are "fucked up" technically for an example (gp2x with its faults don't even compare in that regard) yet eventually developers got workarounds.

It provides USB2.0 support, which is what people asked for. Now wouldn't you much prefer usb2.0 over perfect snes? ;)

Squidge posted on Feb 21 2006 at 07:26 PM said:

It provides USB2.0 support, which is what people asked for. Now wouldn't you much prefer usb2.0 over perfect snes? ;)
I *might*, if it worked properly :)

What is the netchip for?  Was it worth fucking up chances for perfect SNES and GBA for that?  :angry:

no

I don't even have any USB 2.0 ports!
And I still have to use Knoppix to transfer files!
And I get random file corruptions!
And.........
....yeah!

OMG M<E SO ANGOREE

GAMEPORK HATE ME!! TEHY WANT TO DESSSTRY MY CHANCES OF TEE EMUS?

WHY ISN'T MY GP2X A PEESPEE!??¿¿

Squidge posted on Feb 21 2006 at 12:32 PM said:
Morwynd: The 940 can't access any Linux functions, so for it to do the sound hardware would mean sending all the data to the 940 for processing, and then pulling the samples back from 940 so the 920 can play them. That's going to be slower than having the 920 do them in the first place.
OK, so if I'm reading this all correctly, offloading either the sound or gfx engines to the 940 both suffer the same end problem.. simply put, trying to get the final processed gfx or sound bytes to the hardware efficiently, without trickling them back to the 920 so it can properly hand them off to Linux's hardware layer?

Didn't I read that the video player uses the second core? Seems a safe assumption that would be used for multimedia processing, anyone know how they got that working?

If the 940 truly can never interact with Linux, it seems an unescapable conclusion that it will eventually need to hit the hardware directly for any high bandwidth applications?

Oh, and personally I'd take anything over that USB chip. That's what card readers are for. ;)

What is the netchip for?  Was it worth fucking up chances for perfect SNES and GBA for that?  :angry:

Actually no. I never have used USB on any GP2X or GP32 etc. I have one of those things called a card reader. I could care less about other USB devices. I bought the GP2X as a GAME and emu machine as the primary purpose. If it can't do the primary thing which includes running emus such as SNES then all other features like USB are totally moot.

Morwynd posted on Feb 21 2006 at 10:38 PM said:
Squidge posted on Feb 21 2006 at 12:32 PM said:
Morwynd: The 940 can't access any Linux functions, so for it to do the sound hardware would mean sending all the data to the 940 for processing, and then pulling the samples back from 940 so the 920 can play them. That's going to be slower than having the 920 do them in the first place.
OK, so if I'm reading this all correctly, offloading either the sound or gfx engines to the 940 both suffer the same end problem.. simply put, trying to get the final processed gfx or sound bytes to the hardware efficiently, without trickling them back to the 920 so it can properly hand them off to Linux's hardware layer?

Didn't I read that the video player uses the second core? Seems a safe assumption that would be used for multimedia processing, anyone know how they got that working?

There is probably a kernel module for that. Problem isn't in that the 940 can not interact with Linux but it can not be run in the user space directly. It doesn't have a MMU so it's obvious why.

For video player yes. It's using the second core from the start among the video coprocessor.

For the video player, the 920 passes compressed data to the 940 which it then decompresses to the display directly, it does this through a kernel module, which lives in /dev/dualcpu

We can do a very similar thing with graphics, but the main thing to do in an emulator is normally take a tile map and a load of tiles, and draw the screen using them. However, this requires so many memory accesses, that it's pointless to do on the 940 as it would be quicker on the 920 due to the number of cache misses.

Sound is completely different - we can't access the hardware directly here without writing a kernel module, so anything processed on the 940 has to be shipped back to the 920 for playing. On the video player, the 920 does all audio decoding, and the 940 does the video decoding.

It wouldn't be any quicker, as the cpu needs access to the same data as the graphics, so there would still be constant data swapping between the two processors, thus killing the cache and wasting the performance.

I can just hear the next question....

Well what if you turn of the cache.. :lol:

Anyways it sounds to me like the request of a USB 2.0 port may have been more for development reasons/debugging as opposed to large transfers to the memory card.

But then if that is the case GPH didn't get that right either. Maybe they had the wrong idea. Anyways I'm beginning to wonder what is the point of the 2nd processor. Sounds like it is more limiting than other possible options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back