Quake2
Quake3
NanoGL
GPFCE
NesEmu
Picodrive

Quake1 : working on it still, latest version locks up
Quake2 : see below
Quake3 : its been on my mind to add some options to the nub code, q3 is actually up on my ftp, i dont remember the actual name at the moment.
NanoGL : needs some cleanup
GPFCE : i can put this up, if i havnt
NesEmu : theres wasnt much changed from the official source but i can put it up
Picodrive : not me

Im curious what is your interest with the quake's and nes stuff?

He probably just wants to see the GPL complied with (which most of those are fully under). That includes the licensing details distributed with the program and some clear way to obtain the source.

Come to think of it, the PND distribution makes it kind of hard to include COPYING.DOC with. Is it okay to just shove it in the embedded readme that the documentation tags points to? Or is there like, a license file tag or something..

Exophase said:
He probably just wants to see the GPL complied with (which most of those are fully under). That includes the licensing details distributed with the program and some clear way to obtain the source.

Come to think of it, the PND distribution makes it kind of hard to include COPYING.DOC with. Is it okay to just shove it in the embedded readme that the documentation tags points to? Or is there like, a license file tag or something..

The PND doesnt really support this, Ive read zx81 was still zipping things up with the pnd inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
The PND doesnt really support this, Ive read zx81 was still zipping things up with the pnd inside.
Do you think the PXML format should be extended with a reference to a license file?

Yep, and I told ED that a while ago too.

PND's should most definitely make it easy for people to get at the source code. People learn by reading through source code and the more developers the Pandora has the bigger the chance of it being successful. It makes no sense not to on a computer that runs open source software.

EDIT: IIRC it was said that the PND format specifies a field for adding extra info anyway, so extending the format to fully support licences and source code wasn't high on the list of things to do.. if at all.

Pickle said:
Exophase said:

I usually just chuck everything (COPYING, README, whatever) in the root of the PND. I believe that technically this is compliant as it's really no different than including said files in any other form of archive, such as a tarball or zip.

Bespoke license/source tags in the PXML would however make it much more accessible. The existing info tag can be used in the time being, but the files then end up bunched together under "Documentation". Even simply splitting this up into sections per application would be a great improvement.

Pickle said:
on my ftp
URL please.

Pickle said:
I just want to install them on my Pandora. I prefer Gentoo and compile all packages from source codes.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
PND's should most definitely make it easy for people to get at the source code. People learn by reading through source code and the more developers the Pandora has the bigger the chance of it being successful. It makes no sense not to on a computer that runs open source software.
Moreover, they don't even publish the source codes on the app storage.

Vitel said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Moreover, they don't even publish the source codes on the app storage.
Yeah. I believe Craig said that he would be adding that soon.

Vitel said:
Pickle said:
on my ftp
URL please.
I dont remember and i dont have access at this very moment

Vitel said:
Pickle said:
I just want to install them on my Pandora. I prefer Gentoo and compile all packages from source codes.
[/quote]

Ok thats fine, can i ask you be patient with me and i will get everything up (for the exception of quake 1) over the weekend

Pickle said:
Ok thats fine, can i ask you be patient with me and i will get everything up (for the exception of quake 1) over the weekend
This is not urgent. Please take your time. I can wait a couple of weeks or so.

Vitel said:
Do you mean that it is proprietary? Is yes, then do we have a free Sega emulator?

Not one that's anywhere as good as Picodrive is for ARM handhelds.

Why do you want to compile the PNDs yourself? Do you distrust us?

Because ebuilds that compile sources directly is preferred way to install packages in Gentoo.

^ This
+ I may want to modify the source code, try different build flags, etc.

Not one that's anywhere as good as Picodrive is for ARM handhelds.
Is there something not so good as Picodrive, but at least working?

PicoDrive isn't GPL, but the source is at least available for earlier versions. If you just want source you should seek this out.

The two other open source Genesis emulators I'm aware of are Gens and Genesis Plus. Wikipedia says Genesis Plus is GPL, but the MacOS X version isn't, so it might be dual licensed. Gens also claims to be GPL, but I've heard there are some conflicts with some of the code it has pulled in.

Back