Sound Still Plays From Gp2x In Tv-out Mode

Is there an easy fix for this? My audio cables are plugged in...

Edit: And of course, it's not playing from the TV. No other thread on this has helped me thus far.

There's a wee app that you run first, don't remember then name but it does work.
Although for me I had sound from tv and unit, so...

If nobody else can think of it, look in the file archives. It's tiny and does just the one job (turning off the speakers).

To disable speakers you can simply plug something in, like a fake plug from a dead speaker ;)

reiboul said:
To disable speakers you can simply plug something in, like a fake plug from a dead speaker ;)
Funny - I tried this as I was getting sound from both TV and speakers. It actually cut ALL sound. Mine's a MkII with firmware 2.1.1

Any clues? The little software program fixed it, but it's still a pain.

Alyn.

Last edited by a moderator:
sparkey said:
reiboul said:
Funny - I tried this as I was getting sound from both TV and speakers. It actually cut ALL sound. Mine's a MkII with firmware 2.1.1

Any clues? The little software program fixed it, but it's still a pain.

Alyn.

Sorry, actually I never tried, but the trick surely was, plug the GP2X-out to the TV-in

Apologies for reviving this, but I was just wondering if this is how it's supposed to be?

When I play videos on the TV with the cable, sound plays through both the TV and the GP2X. If I plug in headphones, the sound only plays through the headphones. If I use that sound toggle app (which is what I assume the first second posted was talking about), sound is muted everywhere.

So, is there some way to mute the system speakers but still allow sound through the ext port? For now, I've been muffling the sound as much as I can by turning it upside down on the carpet :p but that makes it difficult to use as a "remote" if I need to pause or something (since I also keep it closer to the TV so as to not hear anything from the system speakers).

Weird.

Mattroid said:
Apologies for reviving this, but I was just wondering if this is how it's supposed to be?

When I play videos on the TV with the cable, sound plays through both the TV and the GP2X. If I plug in headphones, the sound only plays through the headphones. If I use that sound toggle app (which is what I assume the first second posted was talking about), sound is muted everywhere.

So, is there some way to mute the system speakers but still allow sound through the ext port? For now, I've been muffling the sound as much as I can by turning it upside down on the carpet :p but that makes it difficult to use as a "remote" if I need to pause or something (since I also keep it closer to the TV so as to not hear anything from the system speakers).

Weird.

I think so, it seems that the sound on TV-OUT and the speakers share the same channel. Only way I think is to physically disable the speakers?

For 1000. time: plugging something to the headphone port disables both the speakers and the TV-out sound. That application mentioned earlier disables also the TV-out sound. Dang, if it is a problem, who want to buy this from me?:

Miika, that is the obvious solution, yes (I already have a cable like that and just need to dig it out). But it seems a little annoying to have to do it that way. If that's what needed to be done, then the TV-out cable shouldn't even have audio jacks on it to begin with, or should have had them separate from the ext adapter to a 3.5 jack. It just seems logical that, if this system is going to have TV output built in, then the option to turn off the system speakers should be available.

Don't tell me I'm honestly the only one who feels that way and that, while there are work-arounds, there shouldn't have to be :p

But, I guess at the moment, that's how it'll have to work. I was only really posting in here about it on the off chance someone had come up with another work around not yet mentioned or that I'd missed.

Mattroid said:
Miika, that is the obvious solution, yes (I already have a cable like that and just need to dig it out). But it seems a little annoying to have to do it that way. If that's what needed to be done, then the TV-out cable shouldn't even have audio jacks on it to begin with, or should have had them separate from the ext adapter to a 3.5 jack. It just seems logical that, if this system is going to have TV output built in, then the option to turn off the system speakers should be available.

Don't tell me I'm honestly the only one who feels that way and that, while there are work-arounds, there shouldn't have to be :p

But, I guess at the moment, that's how it'll have to work. I was only really posting in here about it on the off chance someone had come up with another work around not yet mentioned or that I'd missed.
Yeah yeah, many people feel that way. Ask yourself, when using the tv-out audio, is it really a problem that the sound comes from the GP2X speakers as well? For me it's absolutely not, and if you have your TV volume turned up at least a bit you won't even notice it.

Well, I guess it depends. Perhaps part of it is the way our apartment is setup...the TV is a bit too far from the couch to really drowned out the audio from the GP2X if it's sitting too close.

Once I get done setting up the surround sound, I guess it's possible that that may help eliminate the problem since, atm, all the speakers are setup by the TV.

I did experiment a little with turning the sound fairly low on the system, and then the sound on the TV up higher than usual. That helped, but only so much before it starts sounding kinda...well...bad.

In the end, I suppose it's a minor gripe, but one I don't think should be there to begin with.

Back