Tv-out Works But Sound Comes From Tv *and* Gp2x

superfly

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I have just received my GP2X with TV-OUT cable and connected it to my TV using an S-Video cable and the red and white audio cable. This works fine, except that the sound now comes from both my GP2X and my TV.

How can I disable the sound from the GP2X while keeping the sound from the TV enabled? Using the volume-button on the GP2X affects both the GP2X and the TV.

TIA!

superfly posted on Jul 21 2006 at 09:33 AM said:
I have just received my GP2X with TV-OUT cable and connected it to my TV using an S-Video cable and the red and white audio cable. This works fine, except that the sound now comes from both my GP2X and my TV.

How can I disable the sound from the GP2X while keeping the sound from the TV enabled? Using the volume-button on the GP2X affects both the GP2X and the TV.

TIA!

Stick some headphones in it

Last edited by a moderator:
spoyser posted on Jul 21 2006 at 11:09 AM said:
Thanks, is that the only 'solution'? It seems a bit unelegant. Is this a known problem or could it be just my device?

superfly posted on Jul 21 2006 at 10:26 AM said:
spoyser posted on Jul 21 2006 at 11:09 AM said:
Thanks, is that the only 'solution'? It seems a bit unelegant. Is this a known problem or could it be just my device?

It's not the only solution, but it's by far the easiest unless you want to rip your gp2x apart :)

though I haven't tried it myself, why not put y-splitter from your GP2X headphone jack to your TV's red/white inputs, and just use the GP2X TV OUT soley for video.
That's what do when I run emulators from laptop on my TV screen (S-Video + y splitter in the headphone jack) .. though admittedly, I've yet to try hooking up GP2X to TV .

Thanks for your replies. It's good to know that there's nothing wrong with my GP2X. I think I'll use a 'dummy' headphone jack to disable the sound. This will probably be easiest.

superfly posted on Jul 21 2006 at 10:24 AM said:
Thanks for your replies. It's good to know that there's nothing wrong with my GP2X. I think I'll use a 'dummy' headphone jack to disable the sound. This will probably be easiest.

a nice pair of scissors could go along way, if all you need is the jack to disable the phones.:)

cheers

While we're at it, i've got my video+the two sound cables plugged in a scart adapter and this scart cable is plugged into the TV. Sound is okay (yeah, from both gp2x & tv but i dont care) but the video is kinda ... strange. The colors are all there but the whole thing is kinda washed (if thats the right english word, sorry) and it flickers all the time.
I've tried this at home with my older TV which has only scart, but also at my father's home who just got a brandnew TV and the picture is the same for him, so it's definitely the cables or the gp2x. Could the resolution be that i just buy a new scart adapter? Or can't the gp2x "handle" s-video to scart adapters correctly?

Sorry for my english, once again :)

Some of the earlier GP2X (not scart) cables are faulty. Try a new cable or better yet, get the BoB (Break out Board).

Wolfsclaw posted on Jul 21 2006 at 09:43 AM said:
While we're at it, i've got my video+the two sound cables plugged in a scart adapter and this scart cable is plugged into the TV. Sound is okay (yeah, from both gp2x & tv but i dont care) but the video is kinda ... strange. The colors are all there but the whole thing is kinda washed (if thats the right english word, sorry) and it flickers all the time.
I've tried this at home with my older TV which has only scart, but also at my father's home who just got a brandnew TV and the picture is the same for him, so it's definitely the cables or the gp2x. Could the resolution be that i just buy a new scart adapter? Or can't the gp2x "handle" s-video to scart adapters correctly?

Sorry for my english, once again :)
Are you selected on PAL or NTSC ?

Also if you (carefully!!) push and hold the connector in or to the front or back does it stay steady?

If so then put a bit of paper in with the jack to hold it there. See the file archive under the misc section, or type TV into the search box for the "tv-out fix instructions" I made up.

Feedback indicates that it is likely unnecessary to file the connector, so ignore that part of the instructions.

This only works if holding the jack results in a clear picture.

Blah posted on Jul 21 2006 at 03:21 PM said:
Some of the earlier GP2X (not scart) cables are faulty. Try a new cable or better yet, get the BoB (Break out Board).
BoB sucks and is overpriced ($50 without a shell, and the power for it is $25).

Don't get one, wait for Techfreak to build his version for much less money.

Back