SONY PS5 (PlayStation 5)

20200601-202616.jpg

EZe-C0ss-Uc-AAly-NO.jpg

I think I read somewhere the PS5 would be double the height of the PS4 pro. Obviously nothing has been confirmed about how the retail unit looks.

I've seen quite a few people recommending 120 framerate TVs for PS5. Most console games this gen couldn't crack 60.

I know framerate is up to developer focus, but I don't expect them to all shift their focus to better framerate next gen for no reason.

That Epic Games PS5 demo was running at 30 for Pete's sake.

I never understood this framerate frenzy... maybe it's just me, but after 30 I can't see differences...

I think it comes down to latency, or lag between pressing a button on the controller, and something happening. I guess some people may be less motion sick if the motion feels more "natural". But really it's just mostly just marketing.

TBH, I don't care either. Nor do I think that increased resolution is the be all and end all.

Digital Foundry did a good look at this when trying some old CRT monitors, wihch somewhat ironically don't have the same issues with resolution or refresh rates that modern monitors do:

I never understood this framerate frenzy... maybe it's just me, but after 30 I can't see differences...
I thought so to until I went to the cinema to view a movie, I would be bother by the lack of frames the first few minutes.
I can don't 'see' the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but I feel it. As 60fps feels way more smooth. But I adjust to 30fps after a while.
Response times I only notice if it's really bad, so I imagine the difference between ultra fast response times and 240Hz screens are harder to notice then a higher resolution, HDR or better in-game visuals.
The 120fps mode on the PS5 is probably for older 60fps games, like they do the 2x fps upgrade on the new XBox also.

So multiple people are saying they've seen a Twitch ad which confirms the new PS5 event date as June 11th.

Makes sense that Sony still wants to go before everyone else, they probably put a lot of resources into getting first reveals of many games.

Edit: And it's official.

Last edited:
Back