SONY PS5 (PlayStation 5)

Sounds too good to be true, then again, if this is a late 2020 hardware... Though I'm afraid of the price :3

@kamui_kun

Also, remember Sony Computer Entertainment always lie...they said the PS3 would be backward compatible, but then they made a new PS3 model/variant that no longer had the ability to play PS2 games. The they took Ubuntu away :(
And don't forget their original claims of all PS3 games will be 1080p. Lies!! :(

@Nintendo
Well, in the case of the PS3 the backward compatibility required a hardware. In the case of the PS5, as both the PS4 and 5 uses an AMD CPU / GPU, I think that the backward compatibility will be 100% software. So it won't cost them anything and there's no reason to remove it.
Though yeah, I bet it won't support Linux :D

@benoitb
Even at 500 euros it would be difficult for it to be as successful as the PS4. One of the reasons the PS4 outsold the Xbox One at launch was that the PS4 was at 400 euros - 100 euros cheaper than the One.

I have no doubts that the PS4 compatibility will work, It's not breaking into an entirely new hardware architecture like the shift from the IBM CELL based PS3 to the mostly PC like PS4...

I'm having doubts on games running well at 8k, I'm sure it will be like PS3 were there were some 1080p titles, but most ran at a slightly lower resolution.

Last edited:
IIRC the PS3 only supported linux originally so they could get around EU tax laws and claim it was a general purpose computer. Either the EU backed down, or Sony realised they could afford to pay a little tax and removed it, I'm not sure on that front.

Sony is always optimistic and over promising in my opinion. They deliver great stuff but it's like Sega's Blast processing, it sounds nice but other consoles might be faster. That doesn't make their machine 'worse' but it's just selling it very well.

Well, I don't even have a PS4 yet, so not much interest for the PS5, but if I can play PS4 games, it will probably be much more interesting to look in to sooner rather than later.

Chris

@kamui_kun

Also, remember Sony Computer Entertainment always lie...they said the PS3 would be backward compatible, but then they made a new PS3 model/variant that no longer had the ability to play PS2 games. The they took Ubuntu away :(
And don't forget their original claims of all PS3 games will be 1080p. Lies!! :(

The PS3 was the perfect console in my mind, and I was expecting it to become my second console ever (after the Game Gear) !! But then it came to the stores and I realized that what I was expecting was indeed a dream... I'm still waiting for that perfect console...

Wow, PowerGod. For someone whose only console was a Game Gear, your standards are pretty high.

Unfortunately, if nothing's caught your eye yet, I don't think anything will. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Just look at PS5 and all its features. Thing probably eats ten AA batteries an hour. And people complained about Game Gear. Ha!

Didn't they say the SSD is faster than PC ones? I'm assuming they mean standard SATA3 ones which implies probably an NVME drive, correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like an expensive prospect, but a welcome one

Wow, PowerGod. For someone whose only console was a Game Gear, your standards are pretty high.

Unfortunately, if nothing's caught your eye yet, I don't think anything will. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Just look at PS5 and all its features. Thing probably eats ten AA batteries an hour. And people complained about Game Gear. Ha!

But rechargeable batteries now costs way less than before !! ;)

maybe I am just getting old, but can anyone tell me why 8k would be something I'd want in a console/tv set? the eye already has problems resolving 4k resolutions... why would anyone want 8k? is there more to it, then a marketing "the number is bigger so it must be better" ploy? especially as an ex vj/projection artist the hype completely eludes me.

is it because 8k wil be actually 4k in the traditional sense (since 4k is only 2k really...)?

I'd be perfectly happy with 1080p with a higher refresh rate. Probably higher resolution more if you have a larger screen, to an extent, though.

What I find funny is graphics is made high fidelity and sharp, but after-effects are added to put blur effects (motion, antialiasing) back in, as sharp graphics don't look as realistic.

I probably shouldn't be, but I'm actually looking forward PS5. Doubt I'll ever get another gaming PC, but have been anticipating ray(path)-traced games forever... not sure processors are quite yet there yet though, and it's taken much longer than I thought to get where they are now.

I don't think I really get anything out of more than 60 fps to be honest, and most sets can already do that. My current 32 inch set is spoilt when it sees anything 1080p with a half-decent bitrate too, so I don't really need the extra resolution either. Probably have to go at least 60 inch before I could care about something like 8k.

Back