Sony Press Conference

deadlychicken22

Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal
Website
Visit site
Well, I just finished watching sony's E3 press conference. I was really interested in the FFXIII preview and some of the other games, but the hardware and marketing is disappointing.

$100 extra for 40GB more of space? I can easily get a 250GB hard drive for that price.
The controler motion sensor is obviously taken from Nintendo, just like the analog stick was. However, I don't think that this is necesarrily "bad". All modern systems have taken ideas from other companies systems and integrated them into their own. However, doing it this late in the game shows that they really aren't on top of their game. Only a year ago they showed us their boomerang controller, and after seeing the reaction decided to play it safe by basically taking their ps2 controller and adding wireless and motion sensors. I will probably still buy a ps3 eventually, but I definitely won't buy it at that price. I really don't like microsoft and try to avoid any of their products (which is why I've switched over to Ubuntu linux) but I think that their xbox360 may have the upper hand in this next generation of systems. I really like that Nintendo is trying new things, but that also means they are sacrificing any chance of competing with microsoft and sony.

Sega, please come back . . .

EDIT:
Let's try to have some educated discussions here. I tried this on various game websites, but they don't even know how to speak correct english there (and it's their native language). The people here who speak english as a second or third language have a better understanding of it then them.

deadlychicken22 posted on May 8 2006 at 10:49 PM said:
EDIT:
Let's try to have some educated discussions here.
You sir are the most optimistic person I have ever met! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a Playstation. Of course I'll get one ... at least it will be fully backward compatable with all my old PS1/PS2 games (it will ... won't it ? :huh: )

I never got an Xbox or a '360 ... the games just don't interest me. Halo? Meh, it's still nothing but Doom in a nice set of clothes. Oblivion? I don't have that kind of free time.

Ever since I saw and played (go ahead, laugh) Battle Arena Toshinden with those amazingly comfortable controllers I knew I had to have a Playstation. We even traded in our Saturn for one. Yep.

I'm no fanboy, but I stick with what works for me. :)

deadlychicken22 posted on May 8 2006 at 07:49 PM said:
$100 extra for 40GB more of space? I can easily get a 250GB hard drive for that price.
It's called Sony pricing. :p I think, it also comes with HDMI. $500 SKU doesn't come with one, which is ironic considering that they used the word HD 82 times in the conference. ;)

For $100USD I can get a 300GB SATA drive. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 one was still IDE-based (but with a proprietary connector so you can't replace it with an out of the box drive).

deadlychicken22 posted on May 8 2006 at 10:49 PM said:

Not exactly. That $100 gets you:

40GB more space
HDMI output
Memory Card reader
802.11b/g capability

ObGP32X: Of course, in actuality the extra C-note is going to go to buying more crack for the shmuck who decided this thing was worth $500 for the crippled version to begin with.

I must have missed that part of the video, then, because all I remember them mentioning was the difference in hard drives . . . however, my computer did have connection problems for about 5 minutes in which it just went black with no audio. In a way it's nice to know they are including more than a bigger hard drive, but that also means that if I got one I should probably get the $600 one, and that makes me even less likely to get one.

BTW I just noticed something weird. According to the presentation chart, PS3 supports upto 7 controllers. Which is an odd number. :huh: And, I got to see a close up pix of PS3 controller and it's got 4 LEDs like WiiMote does... :huh: :huh: Where are missing 3? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Ok i'm not a sony fanboy, but lets look at gaming history.

Nintendo was NOT the first company to use an Analog stick. The first true Analog stick was the stock controller of the Atari 5200. The idea was good but poorly implemented so it was not revisted again, until the N64 got it right. But regardless of how bad the Atari 5200 controller was, it was still the first true analog controller.

PS3 is NOT the most expensive console ever, as i've stated in another thread, the CD-I, 3do and Neo geo were both over $500 at their launches, failures or not, they were still more expensive at launch than the PS3.

I'm doing some research on the motion sensor controllers and will edit this post once i find something, because i have a feeling, even that has been done before. Not just the power glove, but an actual motion sensing controller, it would be very easy to do.

EDIT: yeah it took me 2 seconds to find out that having motion sensors in a joystick or gamepad is nothing new, and actually, MICROSOFT already has a motion sensing joystick available for the PC in it's Sidewinder. So again. Nothing new from Nintendo, so nobody is ripping off anybody, its just stuff that's been done before but fancier.

Angel posted on May 9 2006 at 06:33 AM said:
Ok i'm not a sony fanboy, but lets look at gaming history.

It's ok to be a fanboy. In fact, it's great to have passion at what you like. I'm a ninty fanboy who doesn't mind sony either. What's wrong with that?

Nintendo was NOT the first company to use an Analog stick. The first true Analog stick was the stock controller of the Atari 5200. The idea was good but poorly implemented so it was not revisted again, until the N64 got it right. But regardless of how bad the Atari 5200 controller was, it was still the first true analog controller.

Apple was not the first company that came up with gui, Xerox was. However, Mac was the first commercial product that put the gui in proper use. iPod is not the first mp3 player, but the first mp3 player that has the usable/marketable/likable mp3 system: iPod+iTunes. Mario64 is not the first 3d game, but the first 3d game that showed how to use camera and control with analog stick in 3d environment properly. Don't kid yourself; it's the first idea that put analog stick together with 3d environment successfully that counts, not just individiual items. Anyone can claim that I had the same idea before, but coming up with workable idea first is what really counts.

PS3 is NOT the most expensive console ever, as i've stated in another thread, the CD-I, 3do and Neo geo were both over $500 at their launches, failures or not, they were still more expensive at launch than the PS3.

Maybe, the price has something to do with the failures? ;)

the analog stick of the 5200 worked with many many games, the main problem was that it didn't self center. But again, you probably never played a 5200 to know first hand, but for you to say it was unworkable is a complete false statement and i would suggest you maybe finding one and playing one before you make statements about something you've never used. And i played PC games with analog controllers well before Mario 64, Bioforge being one of them.

As a collector, i've played or owned just about every mainstream system you can throw at me. I don't favor any company, because i only see them for the games. For example. I play XBOX for the games, i don't boycott xbox because i don't like Bill gates like some idiots do. What i do take offense to is people that bitch and moan about stuff without knowing any of the facts. CRY AND WHINE about how everybody copies from Nintendo, but just look back into history. They're not copying, just approving on what was already out there.

And so if Microsoft releases a motion sensitive controller, will they get flammed for copying Nintendo when Microsoft already has a motion sensitive controller on the market for PC? Is it not Nintendo that is maybe copying microsoft but in a different package?

deadlychicken22 posted on May 9 2006 at 02:49 AM said:
...they showed us their boomerang controller...
I like to call it the "double dildo"

Hey, it´s dildo shaped and vibrates!

Angel posted on May 9 2006 at 04:15 PM said:
And so if Microsoft releases a motion sensitive controller, will they get flammed for copying Nintendo when Microsoft already has a motion sensitive controller on the market for PC?

Talking of which, did anyone have one of these?

I did, and it was dump. I mean, it was an ok pad, but the motion sensor thing was either:

1. Useless.
2. Extremely 'un-fun' to use.

I suppose with it being on the PS3 and Wee then we will get games specifically geared towards the motion sensing business...but even then, based on already using one of these things, I think the novelty will wear out fast and in the end, tried and proven methods of button bashing will reign supreme.

I've never liked the look of Nintendo's Wee controller, and I am glad that Sony have gone the way of just adding the motion sensing as 'an extra' feature to an already established and respected pad (I still hate the thumb sticks though - and always will).

I think it would have been smart for Microsoft to include it as a matter of 'why not' (depending on cost of course), but equally, as of now...I'm not at all bothered they didn't.

Still, I don't own an XBOX360 yet and with PS3 so near (kind of)...I think I mught put my XBOX360 plans on permanent hold. The only negative is the price in my opinion (though I am a big fan of the XBOX pad), so I'm open to anything...(that's regarding Next Gen, pervs).

Angel posted on May 9 2006 at 08:15 AM said:
the analog stick of the 5200 worked with many many games, the main problem was that it didn't self center. But again, you probably never played a 5200 to know first hand, but for you to say it was unworkable is a complete false statement and i would suggest you maybe finding one and playing one before you make statements about something you've never used. And i played PC games with analog controllers well before Mario 64, Bioforge being one of them.

I thought we were talking about 3d games with analog stick, not some 20+ year old vintage game machine. I said, "Don't kid yourself; it's the first idea that put analog stick together with 3d environment successfully that counts, not just individiual items." If Bioforge worked so great that it was a trend setter like Mario64 was/is, we would be talking about that game instead, but I have my doubts. I understand your feeling to Ninty, but wouldn't it be nice to give credit where it's due?

i'm not bashing Mario 64, it was revolutionary for a console game, but PC gaming had been using that stuff already. It is a great game thats for sure, i'm not disputing that, but it was NOT THE FIRST, as you state.

Huxley posted on May 9 2006 at 07:18 PM said:
Nice to see it's us Europeans getting raped in the ass AGAIN.

If Sony are so keen on a worldwide launch, where's the worldwide price?
I read somewhere that canadas price for the ps3 is actually the same as their price for the premium '360, so it sounds like they got the best deal . . .

Back