SONY-Microsoft.com

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
sony-microsoft-logo.jpg

interro-06.gif

SONY-Microsoft.com

According to DomainTools, Microsoft registered the domain Sony-Microsoft.com. No specifics what this entails—could be anything from software to game machines. Kotaku is following up with Microsoft.

http://whois.domaintools.com/sony-microsoft.com

http://kotaku.com/5821496/what-is-sony+microsoftcom

Why Sony and Microsoft Teaming Up on Their Next Console Makes a Lot of Sense

It has come to light that someone—probably Microsoft—has registered the domain Microsoft-Sony.com. On its own, that means little—domain names are cheap to buy and easy to spoof—but it does prompt a moment of reflection: Microsoft and Sony working on their next console together makes a tremendous amount of sense.

We'll probably know sooner than later if Microsoft and Sony intend to team up on a new console. And there are plenty of reasons why they might not want to go in together—loss of their own exclusive platform being the most compelling one—but there sure are a lot of upsides to a team-up, aren't there?

And if you think about it, that Microsoft is making hardware and Sony is making software to compete against each other is actually the exception of their relationship, not the rule: Sony laptops have been running Microsoft Windows for years. You could even look at that as another reason why Microsoft would be willing to cede the Xbox hardware business: Sony's latest hardware experiments, like their tablets, run Google's Android. It might be worth a few billion here and there to Microsoft to bring Sony more fully back into the fold.

http://kotaku.com/5821752/why-sony-and-microsoft-teaming-up-on-their-next-console-makes-a-lot-of-sense

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even want to think what would happen if those two team up. Verrrrry scary to me.

I know...we need Nintendo's innovative skills in hardware.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Apple return to the home console stakes...and maybe Google to debut?

apple-nintendo-sony.jpg

Consoles are always going to be playing catch-up with PCs. As for up-gradable possibilities, it's just a cost thing, I guess (plus that's the only thing that separates consoles and PCs).

it's just a cost thing, I guess

not really, putting a pci slot on the board and using a readily available graphics card is a piece of cake, the real problem is john q public wouldn't know what to do if the game says 'requires a level 3 graphics module' or whatever, like games that needed the memory expansion on the n64/etc

Consoles may always be catching up to PCs, but you'll be paying roughly £800-£1000 for a hardcore PC, which would buy you a console, a pretty nice tv, and some games. Now, if only they would allow mouse and keyboard control...

£700 got you a fully loaded base unit and 3 24" screens? Shakkazulu, I built a new quad core pc about 6 months ago and it cost me almost £600 WITHOUT a monitor! and it's only moderately specced...

£700 got you a fully loaded base unit and 3 24" screens? Shakkazulu, I built a new quad core pc about 6 months ago and it cost me almost £600 WITHOUT a monitor! and it's only moderately specced...
and £100 of that is the stand for said screens, lots of cheap parts and bad hacks, in the process of modding the case so it's worthy of the guts

but that's not console news XD so back on topic

Consoles may always be catching up to PCs, but you'll be paying roughly £800-£1000 for a hardcore PC, which would buy you a console, a pretty nice tv, and some games.
What is with this zombie dead horse?

Consoles do not warp the laws of economics. Console hardware as a rule will consistently be more expensive per performance metric then mainline computer hardware from a Bill of Materials standpoint. It's custom hardware and the extra R&D is not as spread out as it is in mainline computing. If a console manufacturer decides to sell a console at below the cost of the Bill of Materials, it is because they expect to make the difference up in extra royalties on games, which will be on top of the developer and publisher's cut.

Ergo the only way the sentiment that a console is more cost effective then mainline computer hardware, in serving the functions mainline computer hardware is well suited to handle is if it is a utter commercial failure and the company needs to kill the entire project in response. Ergo Nintendo making the point to have features and concepts divergent from normal computer capabilities at the time they're produced, and often manages to maintain this through an entire product cycle. Ergo it utterly dominates in sales versus set tops whose only stand out factor is the rare exclusive titles that tend to be FPSes that have to be played on a gamepad. Analog joysticks being something that's well known to be a good control if the object is to keep moving in complex ways, but being poorly suit to precise location adjustments which is a mouses area of strength.

The cheapest LED LCD HDTV on Newegg from a reputable brand is a 19" 1333x768 200USD model from Toshiba. A solid Viewsonic 21.5" 1920x1080 LED LCD monitor is around 160USD, and it's TV equivalent is 250USD. The lack of a tuner and other factors insure this secondary hardware is cheaper as a rule.

Consoles have a lot of good attributes, but being power competitive or a more economical system is not one of them. Nor is a non-existent guarantee things will actually "just work." Nor is gamepads at all relevant to a discussion between PC and consoles unless the console controller actually has something that the diverse field of PC gamepads doesn't offer. Of the current offerings the Wii is very strong in this respect, its competition is not.

Consoles don't have bloated OSes, that's a distinct advantage. A PC with the specs of any of the current gen consoles and a "proper" OS would not be capable of what consoles are pushing out. No way in hell, because the OS is sucking up too many resources. That's the biggest strength of consoles, and why a PC has to be more powerful to run the same thing (assuming a PC port was made). So until we get a common PC OS that's stripped down of everything but what's needed to make and play games, PC gaming will be less efficient and unable to realize the full potential of the hardware.

Also, coding practices are horrible today. Get a team together that's good with assembly and today's hardware could perform at least 20% better.

Back