Sony Press Conference

deadlychicken22 posted on May 9 2006 at 02:34 PM said:
Huxley posted on May 9 2006 at 07:18 PM said:
Nice to see it's us Europeans getting raped in the ass AGAIN.

If Sony are so keen on a worldwide launch, where's the worldwide price?
I read somewhere that canadas price for the ps3 is actually the same as their price for the premium '360, so it sounds like they got the best deal . . .
Nope, $50Cdn. more for the core PS3 than the premium 360, and I wouldn't be surprised to see price cuts hit at the PS3 launch or near Christmas.

With the exchange rate the way it is, the premium 360 should be even cheaper anyway. That it's not is a little disgusting, quite frankly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Angel posted on May 9 2006 at 03:15 PM said:
CRY AND WHINE about how everybody copies from Nintendo, but just look back into history. They're not copying, just approving on what was already out there.
I understand what you are saying, but I think your logic is slightly flawed . . .
Something I said in my first post:
deadlychicken22 posted on May 9 2006 at 02:49 AM said:
The controler motion sensor is obviously taken from Nintendo, just like the analog stick was. However, I don't think that this is necesarrily "bad". All modern systems have taken ideas from other companies systems and integrated them into their own. However, doing it this late in the game shows that they really aren't on top of their game. Only a year ago they showed us their boomerang controller, and after seeing the reaction decided to play it safe by basically taking their ps2 controller and adding wireless and motion sensors.
I understand that Nintendo wasn't the first company to use the analog stick or motion sensors, but I don't think that it is a coincidence that Sony "magically" pulled the same idea out of their heads AFTER Nintendo showed theirs off. Nintendos might not have been the first, but they were the first of that current generation of video game systems.

It seems like sony's new controller is basically their old ps2 along with some ideas taken from microsofts and nintendos controllers. It now has a central playstation logo button in the center, like xbox360. It now has lights with numbers next to them that (i'm assuming) show which controller you are on (like the xbox360). It also appears to have taken microsofts route and opted for "triggers" instead of their usual r1/r2 l1/l2 buttons.

I'm not saying this is bad, but simply that they do not seem to lead the way in the industry as they would like people to believe. At their press conference, they called their new controller "a fantastic innovation" when all of the parts of it are taken from their previous models or their competitors models.

EDIT: just to make myself clear, I will still probably be buying a ps3, just not at launch. Whether or not I like sony or their "fantastic innovation", I am sure that the RPG's that I love will continue on the ps3 and I will be there to play them.

Yes, the technology was there before, but if they added that functionability right after the nintendo controller was revealed at TGS, then its copying, which, quite frankly, is what they did. The bald dude even said it, developers recently recieved this special feature, which means it was recently put in, which means, they saw nintendo's stuff and tried to copy it. Microsoft commented on this, and basically said, sony copied nintendo, but nintendo knows what its doing with innovation, sony tacked it on as an afterthough.

Who the hell cares? Both will be great systems, and i doubt the ps3 would have failed without this so-called "stealing". Honestly, everyone bitches every fucking day about stealing ideas. get some lives already.

why would sony give a shit what people think? they already have a loyal fanbase who just pissed their pants when they discovered their favorite gaming company added a nice feature.

BOO FUCKING HOO NINTENDO ;)

daclassicgamingmaster:
I would appreciate it if you used something other than harsh language to support your thoughts. I'm not against swearing, but it doesn't make a compelling argument, it simply degrades the discussion. Posts like yours are what lead to the destruction of these threads.

I'm not a expert on the whole controller thingy. I'd rather have dual shock on the sony. I like it. But the timing seems to be after someone got stung in the courts for using dual-shock and not paying.

The motion sensor thing is *not* revoltionry. The design of the controller is. I think sony would have done better without it.

I don't think Sony stole the idea from Nintendo. It's inclusion in the final hardware might have been influenced by the Wii, but I'd imagine it's been in R&D waaaaay before they even knew what Nintendo were up to.

I mean, it's really not such a new idea anyhow. If anything you could argue it's a logical extension of the Eyetoy.

Well, I just finished watching Nintendo's press conference, and now I'm going to watch Microsoft's.

The press conference just reinforced Nintendo's views on getting new gamers and on graphics. They showed The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii and how it takes advantage of the controls (which, IMHO, looks really good). However, when they showed other games, there were only a few (most if not all of which were made by nintendo) that looked good to me. It's a bad sign when they include a Spongebob Squarepants game on the (relatively) short list of third-party games. Metroid and Zelda looked great, but I don't think that the others looked very good. The other game that looks like it could be good was called "red steel" (or something like that) and was demonstrated by one of the developers (who is French). It was a first person shooter, and it also had sword-fighting parts. However, the graphics on the revolution looked about as good as the graphics on the gamecube and xbox, which is rather dissappointing. I knew that Nintendo wasn't going to make the Wii as graphically capable as the '360 or the ps3, but I wish they would have improved it somewhat. It may have been the quality of the video, but it seemed as though Resident Evil 4 for the gamecube looks better than anything they showed.

EDIT:
They also said that there is a speaker on the Wii's controller, and demonstrated how it was used in Zelda: When you pull back your bow, you can hear it get tight and then you can hear it as you release it, and then you can hear it hit your enemies from the TV speakers, so it gives a sense of depth.

It's inclusion in the final hardware might have been influenced by the Wii
That is what I meant above. The idea isn't Nintendo's originally, but I'm pretty sure it is because of Nintendo that it was included in the ps3.

Yeah, years back, they had Dragon Quest built into a plastic sword which you plugged into your telly and waved to kill monsters. It's a pretty old gaming device.

The dragon quest game is just a few years old. It just measured slashing motion, not actual 3d position (similar to the katana ps2 controller by Hori). The Wii controller is different that most controllers that its being compared to because its position is being measured, not its movement.

The Power Glove actually had depth measurement also, but it was only useful in some of the games that were specifically designed for it. Glove ball for example. The power glove did not measure tilt as the new stuff does. For those interested, the Power Glove used ultrasound for its positioning.

wow!

this is the first sony thread i've found that hasn't degenerated into a "smack down the ps3" one.

all the unreasonable anti-sony posts flying around the internet are almost laughable.

GP32/GP2X crowd ftw!

\o/

I just came back from E3 last night, and I think I want a PS3. Resistance and Heavenly Sword are the killer titles for me and MGS4 and FF13 will close the deal for me. Resistance successfully conveyed the feeling of Halo's massive world that lots of stuffs are happening around you. The enemy AI's are not the smartest, but with the amount of stuffs happening around me, I don't want super smart AI. :) 10+ vs 10+ gun fight just fell great. Heavenly Sword fell the best playing. It's like God of War, only with slicker moves and animations; it's totally getting into the form of art.

The seemly seamless integration of video and audio playback features (it's got PSP menu system) looks like better than what X360 is offering. BD movies looked exactly like the movies at theaters. As long as Sony makes the all the interactivity between pcs and ps3 smooth, it will be the ultimate entertainment system in my household. For that, I'll pay $600 gladly.

itsme posted on May 12 2006 at 10:36 AM said:
I just came back from E3 last night, and I think I want a PS3. Resistance and Heavenly Sword are the killer titles for me and MGS4 and FF13 will close the deal for me. Resistance successfully conveyed the feeling of Halo's massive world that lots of stuffs are happening around you. The enemy AI's are not the smartest, but with the amount of stuffs happening around me, I don't want super smart AI. :) 10+ vs 10+ gun fight just fell great. Heavenly Sword fell the best playing. It's like God of War, only with slicker moves and animations; it's totally getting into the form of art.

The seemly seamless integration of video and audio playback features (it's got PSP menu system) looks like better than what X360 is offering. BD movies looked exactly like the movies at theaters. As long as Sony makes the all the interactivity between pcs and ps3 smooth, it will be the ultimate entertainment system in my household. For that, I'll pay $600 gladly.
I agree. With the home consoles, sony has never done me wrong. The game libraries are always massive, so i have no doubt that the flow of great titles will be constant.

Huxley posted on May 9 2006 at 03:18 PM said:

For the European launch it is:
€499 or $636 for the 20gb version
€599 or $765 for the 60gb version

Even though those prices include VAT, that is ridiculous.

That's just too expensive.
I wanted to get one especially for FFXIII and MGS4 which both look great, but at that price? Bah.

Fishbong posted on May 13 2006 at 08:17 AM said:
Import FTW !

Actually i might import one just to piss off Sony :lol:

You want to piss Sony off with buying their console? :unsure:

If you look at the whole PSP debacle, importing Sony's consoles does piss them off for some reason.

Which is exactly what I'll be doing. I want a PS3, but I won't pay over £80 extra for the privilege just because I live in Europe.

furikuri posted on May 13 2006 at 08:09 AM said:
Huxley posted on May 9 2006 at 03:18 PM said:

For the European launch it is:
€499 or $636 for the 20gb version
€599 or $765 for the 60gb version

Even though those prices include VAT, that is ridiculous.

Wrong
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/14/clearing...-ps3-confusion/
stilla hefty price however

Back