SONY PlayStation 4 (PS4)

Well , you know what ? Graphics don't really matter now , or at least till we can render 1080 p 10 billion pixel per inch on an 2 000 in tv . Why ? Look at top pcs running battlefield 3 . Look at 360 running battlefield 3 . Look at ps3 running battlefield 3 . Look at wii playing the last story . Look at wii u running zombi u . The wii is obviously under powered , but so was the 2600 .

Graphics haven't really mattered for a while. That doesn't stop marketing from telling people that it does and for the average person to believe them. Systems will continue to brag about pushing more and more polygons and these systems will be consistently thought to be better (which, to be entirely fair, they technically are) even though you wouldn't tell the difference in a... uh... "blind" sight test.

Im very interested to see what both sony and microsoft come up with this time, though the xbox 720 or whatever its called will be the one i will buy id say.

I don't think i will buy either system at launch as there is still many current gen games to play. Usually of course i impulse buy these damn things, like, seconds after they are released...

Yeah looking forward to seeing what games roll out with these ... I played my PS3 a lot more than my 360.

Just added my email for the alerts so looking forward to the hype vid that will be up on the 20th :)

I've heard a rumor that the  PS4 controllers will have touch pads on the back like the Vita does.

I really hope sony are aware that the ps4 has to be bloody special. I mean imo the vita is an excellent handheld. So much thought went into it but its a sales disaster.

I think the 720 or what, will be heading off the apple/google duo at the ahem metaphorical pass.

Still im bloody interested to see what the ps4 will be. It will definately be easier to develop for. Its suicide not to be. The early ps3 games looked poor in comparison to their xbox 360 counterparts.

Still im bloody interested to see what the ps4 will be. It will definately be easier to develop for. Its suicide not to be. The early ps3 games looked poor in comparison to their xbox 360 counterparts.
 isnt the nv gpu in the ps3 less performant than  the xb360 ati gpu?

as for the future, I predict it wont be about performance but prices, accessibility, multimedia and innovation

1. price has to be >=$200
  2. must have easy to pick up games/casual games(like jetpack joyride or angry birds[both of which the ps3 currently has]) a la the wii and tablets
  3. must have an easy way to get both free(youtube/hulu) and paid(netflix/sony store) multimedia to compete with itunes/microsoft services
  4. it must innovate in one way or another, whether that be a service, software or hardware the status quo won't suffice this time around

Yeah its surprising the Vita didn't sell well, But that said , Nintendo are not doing that well either.  I think the Smartphone market has hit their mobile gaming markets hard.  You only need to look at the comments under any story on the 3DS or Vita to see what people are thinking these days, and its mostly I use my smartphone to play mobile games.  

Actually, I have been thinking about the console market , particularly mobile, there is so much competition coming this year its hard to see there not being some kind of shake up.  And by that I mean 80's style game console crash type shake up.  Somethings got to give.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah ther's alot of android devices coming too. Ouya, the gamepad thingie and one or two more. The ouya should do ok, but those other ones, some are surely gonna be casualties of war.

Ps3 didnt have the pull or prescence of the ps1 or ps2. I reckon sony should reinvent their marketing for the playstation system.They aint number one anymore.

latest on ps4 http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

The lack of decent games can never be under-estimated for the Sony and Nintendo consoles. They've had feck-all worth buying on them since release pretty much. I use my 3DS to play old DS games. There's less than 10 titles for the 3DS worth buying and the Vita has even less (buy at retail games, not downloadable e-store/PSN stuff). With the artificially low price of games on iOS and Android, how can they really compete nowadays?

A shame as they are both lovely machines.

I'm interested in this, in the same way I'm always interested in new hardware. It's cool to see what new innovations can be done, and what it will mean for gaming.

That said, I currently have no plans to dive into the next gen thus far. It took me a few years to get a PS3/360, so I know I can wait(unless they do something I've just got to have). My backlog is so HUGE right now, I can play games for the next 5 years, and never get thru them all. Normally, by the time a new console starts hitting it's stride with quality titles, the system is redesigned along with a price drop, or improvements of some kind are made, so I'm looking to dive in then.

I'm very curious to see what path Sony and Microsoft take, as they have both been able to see the WiiU not really turn the world on it's ear with their tablet controller idea, but I wonder if either of them will still copy the idea and introduce something similar.

I think for any of the big 3 to succeed, they will need to come up with a radical change in the way they do business, and appeal to the ever changing current gaming market. Sony seems to be doing really well with their "Plus" program, so I would think they will take that to another level in the future and expand it in some way.

I would say that Nintendo has already lost this battle. I know it's early for them, and you can never count Nintendo out, but they are very "Unbendable" in the way they opperate, and I see the WiiU being another N64/Gamecube. Successful for the Nintendo in regards to 1st party titles, but a huge failure for everyone else involved. They are loosing money on every system currently produced(which is really something Nintendo has never done before), so a price drop just isnt an option, and I think Sony and Microsoft will price their new systems very well to compete in this current market place. We should see some good battles in the upcoming years ahead, so lets get some popcorn and enjoy the show, it should be a good one ;)

Chris

I completely disagree , I see the big 3 EACH struggling to make ends meet with the rise of Android on consoles like Ouya , and Gamestick and I think Nintendo will go down the 3ds route again with the wii u , Sony will learn , and Microsoft will be weakened , but not dead .

I don't know - there's still very much a demand for home consoles. I certainly prefer console gaming to pc gaming and would really rather play on a console than a handheld given the opportunity. the Ouya is definitely going to be making inroads, but I'm not sure if it'll have what it takes (other than cheap games) to win over the masses.

I do suspect we are definitely on the very last generation of cartridge based hand-held consoles though. The future for those is definitely digital distribution.

Yeah, I really don't know if any of the big players will "succeed" in this next gen like they have in past generations. That's why I said one of them will have to come make some radical changes, and come up with something that draws in consumers like never before.

I personally don't see that happening, but Sony is in the same sinking boat that Nintendo is in currently. All of their once strong divisions are loosing out to competitors worldwide, and I currently can't see the PS4 bringing in the numbers that it will need to be considered a "success". Microsoft has never ending pockets, but they need to come up with a market changing idea as well, as they have been loosing out to IOS/Andorid(and whatever else) as well.

I personally prefer handhelds to consoles, and this is where Nintendo still dominates, but not so much for any body else. I think "N" would do better to focus there and give up home consoles all together and just be a 3rd party for other home consoles, but this will never happen, so I'm just dreaming.

The only way I see anyone of these companies doing well in the next gen, is to offer a console that combines all avenues of electronics in to one cohesive gaming, communication, entertainment experiance. I'd say Apple is the closest to offering something along these lines, as they have the biggest numbers for more than one device per user. I would personally never buy an Apple product again, but they have droves of consumers who will never give up their iphones, ipods, and ipads. Outside of Apple drones, most consumers use differant devices along several differant lines.

I think for anyone company to dominate this next gen, they will have to pull in groups that are only willing to use one line of products by that one company. Is this possible? If Apple can do it, I think anyone can, but they need to get that winning formula, and I don't know that anyone of the big 3 are smart enough, or creative enough to make it happen.

Chris

I still see Apple coming out with an ios gaming solution at some point, whether that's a game pad to use with Apple TV or a new device or something else.  It will eventually happen and shake up the market even further.  It's already happening on the Android front and will continue to do so .   

The other day I thought well ive got this ipod 4th gen with 32Gb my wife got me, might as well load some games on it.  Now you often hear people say ohh, IOS games , oh yeahh Angry birds good luck with that.  The truth was vastly different.  I was amazed at how many console -ish type awesome games there are.  I quickly filled a page and a half with games all of them awesome from

Nova 2 (there's a 3 out now),

Dead Trigger,

GTI Racing - which is awesome to play using the motion sensors 

Pinball Arcade, Zen Pinball etc

Galaxy on Fire 2

Dogfight

Blood and Glory

Infinity Blade II

Horn

Rise of Glory

Need for Speed

Bastion

Fifa 13

Walking Dead

Lili

Blast-a-way

Sky Gamblers

Epoch

Shadow guardian

Shadow gun

Zombie infection

Modern Combat 4

etc etc etc

Could have gone all day downloading top quality titles.

And here is the real nut buster for Nintendo and Sony,that everyone always mentions (as a reason not to buy a Nintendo or Sony handheld)  - >  Most of the games above were free to play and the others were under $7.

The same titles if bought for a Nintendo or Sony console would have cost me several hundred.  People realise this, and always comment on this fact when a new Sony or Nintendo handheld is released.  The market has changed and has segmented away with a  large chunk now moving away from traditional handhelds solely due to cost.

Anyway , I don't see Sony or Nintendo dying off soon, just that a large chunk of there traditional market has now segmented off and will continue to segment off.  It just reminds me off the 80's with the flood of gaming consoles and cheap PC's that just made it impossible for everyone to survive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I3lXLf2.png

Is that conformed? Looks like a Photoshop jobbie to me. I know there are rumours circulating that it'll have a touchpad, but I doubt we'll find out anything concrete until 20th Feb, if then.

Back