SONY PlayStation 4 (PS4)

Overall success I'd say the second party always did better, PS2, the 360, PS1, it used to be all about how powerful the systems were but now that doesn't make much difference to the games that come out and they all seem to be trying to out-innovate each other.

Just how I see it at the moment anyway.

I wonder if going first is a good thing?
To be fair, Nintendo isn't trying to "be first" to the next generation, from what I can tell they're trying to break the generational cycle, intentionally falling out of step with Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft and Sony released their last console cutting edge while Nintendo released the Wii, a slight step back from what MS and Sony released. Now, with the WiiU, they've advanced to just ahead of what MS and Sony have right now, but it still isn't what they could produce if they were going cutting edge. They're probably banking on MS and Sony releasing their next consoles to be the same best of the best they can get ahold of when the time is right.

There'll be a natural dichotomy, one which already started forming with the Wii and will probably expand with the WiiU, between cheap and fun Nintendo and fast and beautiful Microsonysoft.

Please read the quotes below.

Well, SNES and Megadrive are considered as retro consoles by most, and they were sold in the nineties (in Europe, at least).

Dreamcast, GameCube, PS2 and XBOX are still modern consoles. But they will probably fall in the "retro realm" when the next generation of consoles will be released.

As F_Slim said, computer (software and hardware) ages faster than lot of thing.
wink.gif

(But when looking at the 80's clothing, some things don't age fast enough
laugh.gif
)
1. Retro depends on the individual and the age of the person.

2. Soon, there'll be no such thing as a 'Console Generation' anymore. Wii 1 didn't help with Gen Categorizing...and Wii 2 will end the so called, 'Console Generation'.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/CONSOLERAMA/The-Death-Of-The-quot-Console-Generation-quot/td-p/12776416

1. It plays its role, but saying a SNES is a retro console is accepted by the vast majority without regards of their age. PS1, N64, etc. are not that well defined, they're borderline of going retro, at the moment, they're mostly "old".

2. What I call a "generation of consoles" is a bunch of consoles that were released within a short amount of time (before it was quite a few years, lastly it's been reduced to ~3 years) like those three : Wii - 2006, PS3 - 2006/2007 , Xbox 360 - 2005. I don't know what it means for you, but it seems different.

So Wii II, PS4 and Xbox 2160 (EDIT: 2080 wasn't a 360 multiple, sorry) will be out within 3 years and be in the same generation ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if going first is a good thing?

As I recall it, having worked in the field at the time, there was a perception in the press and public alike that the PS2 'must' be better, if it was coming later. The logic (since shattered by Nintendo) being that the later a system launched, the more advanced it must be. If the Dreamcast had launched after the PS2, people might have compared the two more fairly.

If the Dreamcast had launched after the PS2, people might have compared the two more fairly.
IMHO and only IMHO...Not really, because there's still that factor of DVD medium and playback being more advance technology due to it being larger in capacity.

If the Dreamcast had launched after the PS2, people might have compared the two more fairly.
IMHO and only IMHO...Not really, because there's still that factor of DVD medium and playback being more advance technology due to it being larger in capacity.

I firmly agree, the DVD playback made the PS2 the success it was, if the DC had used DVD instead of the GD discs it would have probably faired much better, but then Sony never made a profit on the PS2 for about 2 years, something not many companies are willing to do, Sony has more avenues of revenue than Sega or Microsoft or Nintendo and can afford to push new technology at a low cost (Blu Ray in the PS3 was less than half the price of the nearest blu ray player when it was released).

To be fair, Nintendo isn't trying to "be first" to the next generation, from what I can tell they're trying to break the generational cycle, intentionally falling out of step with Microsoft and Sony.
Nintendo's following the same exact development cycle and philsophy they always have. That's to say a roughly 5 year console cycle, and hardware being sold at or over cost as of launch.

Given the Nintendo Entertainment System and follow ups defined the nature of the modern console concept, saying Nintendo is breaking the cycle is patently absurd. Microsoft and Sony chose to try to break the cycle with the idea of a 10 year cycle console, which Nintendo with the Wii U has clearly shown was a bad idea from go.

Microsoft and Sony released their last console cutting edge
Compared to what? By the standards of computer technology they were not "cutting edge" at product launch. The GPU is the only component on the systems such a claim could be made with and it was not "cutting edge" at product launch.

What they did do was sell at a loss, which meant they only started to make money on a quarter by quarter basis 2-3 years in. Given where that landed and Xbox 1 was a complete an utter financial failure, it's a legitimate question whether the entire project isn't heavily in the red. Given this practice is a significant factor in SEGA leaving the console industry it should not be treated as some kind of situation normal that makes any kind of sound business sense.

Now, with the WiiU, they've advanced to just ahead of what MS and Sony have right now
Neither the PS3 or XBox 360 is GPU limited, and I've seen no basis for the Wii U GPU being "just ahead" of their compromised first generation DirectX 9.0 GPUs. Add that Nintendo has made a point to keep their Out of Order bits intact, and this simply doesn't hold water.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the pre E3 hype machine seems to start earlier each year..?

PS4 'details'

The Wii U will still be my next hardware purchase though, especially in light of all the lovely recent announcements.. (Wind Waker HD.. yummy!)

The intriguing Eiji Aonuma hints for the next Zelda.. non sequential dungeons, possible MP, open world etc, the Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei crossover, new Monolith Soft RPG (Xenoblade Chronicles dev) new 3D Mario/Mario Kart/Yoshi Land games in the works plus all the other good stuff.. Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 etc & whatever other goodies they will no doubt be holding back for E3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or does anyone else think the pre E3 hype machine seems to start earlier each year..?

PS4 'details'

The Wii U will still be my next hardware purchase though, especially in light of all the lovely new recent announcements.. (Wind Waker HD.. yummy!)
when you think about it though sony and m$ are about 1-2yrs late historically for this generation...

ps1['94]-(6yrs)-ps2['00]-(6yrs)-ps3['06]-(7-8yrs)-ps4[13?-14?]

So both, the new xbox and ps use x64 based cpus and mainstreamgpus?

It won't buch hassle for developers to port their stuff between platforms. Thats a good thing in general but makes me wonder if ms and aony are just building standardized pcs.

So both, the new xbox and ps use x64 based cpus and mainstreamgpus?

It won't buch hassle for developers to port their stuff between platforms. Thats a good thing in general but makes me wonder if ms and aony are just building standardized pcs.
I don't know about PS4 but Durango (XBox successor) is a pretty custom design, even if it's licensing x86 core IP. Will be interesting to see if its alleged Jaguar cores have any custom instructions like Xenon did.

I firmly agree, the DVD playback made the PS2 the success it was, if the DC had used DVD instead of the GD discs it would have probably faired much better, but then Sony never made a profit on the PS2 for about 2 years, something not many companies are willing to do, Sony has more avenues of revenue than Sega or Microsoft or Nintendo and can afford to push new technology at a low cost (Blu Ray in the PS3 was less than half the price of the nearest blu ray player when it was released).
I agree with this, however I still think that there are few games that look as good as the Dreamcast over VGA. Sure, Shadow of the Colussus and God of War at 480p look good, but there's a clean, vibrant look to DC games that is unsurpassed IMO.

Back