Someone Make It Smaller, Please!

Quiest

I like turtles!
I`m talking about Bubbletrain. 30mb is just to much for a ISDN user like me to download.
I also heard it is that big because of the ogg music, so I`m asking if someone could replace all the music with an empty 1 sec ogg file to reduce filesize and put it in the archive.

Please, someone! :)

I've put the contents of the archive on an ftp server.

Code:
Address: 213.215.213.75
User: bubtrain
Pass: bubtrain
Port: 21

If you want you can pick and choose the files you need from there.

It's uncompressed, so you might be better off with the archive though.

I accidentally stumbled upon this thread. I meant to look up another one and I hit on this one. It would have been nice to put something about Bubble Train in the subject. :)

Indeed, it is the music that makes Bubble Train rather large. There is a couple of other things that fatten it up, but you (as a user) can't really do anything about those things, so they're not worth worrying about. Though, I may be able to reduce the size slightly for future releases.

First, I must say that my musician would be greatly displeased if you ripped out all their music.

Anyway, here's how the music goes.

There is one music file that is for the main menu background. This is the only one that's hard coded in. It's named "snd/mainmenu.ogg" and I think it needs to be an ogg-format file. I am not sure how SDL would react to a WAV file named .OGG. Though, if you're concerned about size, I don't know why you'd want a WAV, anyway.

So, if you want to replace that with a small ogg, go ahead. Though, my suggestion would be to replace that OGG with a song that really like. If you're concerned about space, just encode the OGG way down in size.

Now, each theme has its own background music. We'll use the arctic theme as an example. If you open up "themes/arctic/theme.xml" you will notice that there's a
Code:
track src="AcidLaugh.ogg"
line in there. You can change that line to whatever .ogg or .wav file you want. If you're concerned about size, here's a trick. Just change it to
Code:
track src="../../snd/mainmenu.ogg"
and it will use the same track as you have for the main menu.

If you do that with each theme, then you will be down to using only 1 music file. Then, if you really don't want any music, you can just turn it off in the options of the game.

Make sense?

Oh, and by the way, if you're going to re-package it, you ought to remove the two screenshot BMPs that were only in there because I needed to submit shots to the competition.

EDIT: Oh, weird. It seems that the "entryinfo.txt" file is missing from all distributions. That kinda sucks.

Flavor posted on Mar 3 2006 at 08:47 PM said:
Now, each theme has its own background music. We'll use the arctic theme as an example. If you open up "themes/arctic/theme.xml" you will notice that there's a
Code:
track src="AcidLaugh.ogg"
line in there. You can change that line to whatever .ogg or .wav file you want. If you're concerned about size, here's a trick. Just change it to
Code:
track src="../../snd/mainmenu.ogg"
and it will use the same track as you have for the main menu.

If you do that with each theme, then you will be down to using only 1 music file. Then, if you really don't want any music, you can just turn it off in the options of the game.

Make sense?
I just replaced all the files with 5kb oggs containing 1 sec of nothing.

First, I must say that my musician would be greatly displeased if you ripped out all their music.
Well, blame the downloaders :p

About the screenshots, shall I remove em?
And the entryinfo.txt wasnt in the original package... post it and ill include it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back