Mp3 To Ogg Converting

dr_other

Sorry if this should go in I Need Help, I don't really need help, it is just a general thought that I was looking for opinions on.

I would really like to check out OGG Vorbis, as half of my music is sitting right next to me on CDs and I can easily make them into the (as I have heard) somewhat smaller and somewhat better OGG format. Thing is, some more of my stuff is MP3 or bust, and the only option I have is converting it from MP3 to OGG.

Someone here was converting his entire collection to OGG from MP3, and while he seemed to be enjoying it, if I am correct, MP3 cuts out certain parts of the music, and OGG cuts out others. So wouldn't you end up with a much worse off product? I will be buying a second 128 MB card soon, but until then I am rather trying to conserve space. OGG AND MP3 players on one thing just won't do :D

Hmm . . . perhaps I should just read up on OGG more.

dr_other posted on Aug 19 2004 at 11:17 PM said:
Someone here was converting his entire collection to OGG from MP3, and while he seemed to be enjoying it, if I am correct, MP3 cuts out certain parts of the music, and OGG cuts out others. So wouldn't you end up with a much worse off product? I will be buying a second 128 MB card soon, but until then I am rather trying to conserve space. OGG AND MP3 players on one thing just won't do :D

Hmm . . . perhaps I should just read up on OGG more.
You're absolutely right. This is called trancoding and this degradates music. With mp3 you get mp3 artifacts, with mp3 -> ogg, you get mp3 artifacts, ogg artifacts and some more :(
Yeah, you can reduce the bitrate by doing so, but it will reduce the quality sooooooooooooo much. People who say they can't hear a difference are only placebo effect powered ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer ogg, i works very fine with 128 kbits.
But i own a mp3 Discman, so i have to convert all files to mp3, but i convert never to less then 160 kbit.

About transcoding, if you only listen to your transcoded ogg files on your GP32, that does not really matter, you probably won't notice the difference. GP32 does not produce great sounding music :(
But you should not use fixed bitrate mode with ogg, it produces low quality files as ogg is optimised for VBR and -q presets. You should use "-q 1" or "-q 0" for portable use ;)

I always encode in mono for my gp needs, as space is important, and I usually play it without headphones.

Just wish the ogg players out there weren't power hungry, 133mhz is harsh for music.

Most of the mp3 players are lower mhz, like 66, but then you eat your smc space.

Doh.

mth411

PS Try gpamp the ogg version, very fun, and will impress anyone. Winamp on gp, pretty much.

mth411 posted on Aug 20 2004 at 02:02 PM said:
Just wish the ogg players out there weren't power hungry, 133mhz is harsh for music.

Most of the mp3 players are lower mhz, like 66, but then you eat your smc space.
GpOgg runs at 60mHz... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a little while after I did this I bought a second 128 MB SMC for 21 dollars american from Amazon.com. So I think I will make an entire SMC devoted to music, since it is a good third and sometimes half of the use of my GP32. Monkey Island and stuff really does take up some time though . . .

I will experiment, I mught just end up using a mix of OGG and MP3 . . . I am also a bit confused by foobar encoding, even though it is excellent for playing music. I can only seem to get q 5. I have free time for the first time in awhile now, so tonight I will play around with it.

Back