Background Hiss When Playing Music

eserim

Still Fresh
Hi

I've just got F200 and am just playing around with getting to know it all. One thing I noticed that in playing music there is a constant background noise - only in music and in the default player, craigamp and gmu.

Is this normal? It can only be heard when there is very quiet bits of music or in the gaps.

Talking of gaps, has anyone written a truly gapless music player? Most of my 30 GB music is ripped as OGG - one reason for this is that a large %age of my music requires gapless player back (hence the Rio Karma and Squeezebox as my main players) and will Craigamp be upgraded for the F200 touch screen - oh and I can't seem to get the screen to switch off in craigamp.

Anyway, I hope to be posting and contributing now I have my my bit of tech

Cheers

Eserim

eserim said:
Hi

I've just got F200 and am just playing around with getting to know it all. One thing I noticed that in playing music there is a constant background noise - only in music and in the default player, craigamp and gmu.

Is this normal? It can only be heard when there is very quiet bits of music or in the gaps.

Talking of gaps, has anyone written a truly gapless music player? Most of my 30 GB music is ripped as OGG - one reason for this is that a large %age of my music requires gapless player back (hence the Rio Karma and Squeezebox as my main players) and will Craigamp be upgraded for the F200 touch screen - oh and I can't seem to get the screen to switch off in craigamp.

Anyway, I hope to be posting and contributing now I have my my bit of tech

Cheers

Eserim

They changed how you programatically turn the screen off from F100 to F200 and I believe currently Oldplay and ommpc are the only two players that have implemented the needed changes. Currently only ommpc supports the touchscreen in any way as I believe that I'm the only music player dev with an F200... :ph34r:

Also, I believe ommpc is the only player to support gapless playback...

As for the original question, I too have a background hiss on my F200...I don't know if it's more audible because of the increased volume level on the F200 units or what. It's not really noticeable most of the time, so I just try not to think about it...which is, I know, not a very good answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice it on my F-100 as well, so it can't be a 200 only issue. I'm pretty sure GPH was just stupid about audio components.

many thanks for that, especially the tip about ommpc - I had noticed the app, but hadn't delved into it, I'll try it later today.

A very nice start to this forum, two very helpful and friendly replies within hours - I knew I was right getting a GPX2 rather than a PSP! :D

Eserim

Back