Some thoughts on the openpandora project

Hello,

I've spent time reflecting on the openpandora project and have sought acquiring one of the devices for myself for some time, since the year it came out. Anyway, I've noticed there is the issue of production costs, and it appears to me that those involved with the project (and Pyra, too) aren't looking into competing devices and examining how those devices are being made in order to mimic such production if but in an effort to bring down production costs.

For instance, I was at Walmart Supercenter 2335 in the past month or so and noticed the Walmart private brand Onn tablets. There is a very small tablet that costs less than $100 U.S. dollars. I noticed if I mixed that device with a small keyboard and the necessary setup with drivers, I have a very small device for myself. However, it's not necessarily the same at the openpandora. Nonetheless, what appealed to me was the cost involved with the liquid crystal display (LCD) screen. I'm not really seeing what the issue is with production costs of the openpandora device, but perhaps me reading through this website will show some clues. I'm guessing its the production costs involved with the case.

Maybe some hackers can figure out how to make a mold and use recyclables for people to generate a DIY plastic case that just needs a motherboard and LCD screen thrown in it. There should be ways to bring down operating costs, I think.

Those walmart branded tables almost certainly run android. The Pandora and the Pyra aren't android devices. They also deliberately aren't made in China. Walmart probably sells devices that the manufacturer develops then contacts walmart and tells them they're got this tablet they can buy for $80 and sell for $100 provided they buy 100000. Neither the Pandora nor the Pyra are in that big of a niche.

Indeed, the comparison between a cheap tablet and the Pandora/Pyra is to completely misunderstand what each of those things is.

Android devices are pretty much all designed around a maximum lifespan of a few years (and they are usually trying to sell the next product in much less time than that), and also normally not designed for upgradability or maintainability (I'm not aware of any that are).

Cheap tablets are tomorrow's landfill, and little, if anything, more.

Also: the Pandora Concept is now about 14 Years old, i think 2008 was the OMAP3 the Top of the Art SOC from TI, and at this time it was quite actuall..
So you cant compare a Device from Originally 2008 to a Cheap Tablett from 2021, you could find a Tablett whit 700 mhz Single Core SOC quite cheap today, if they would still be made..

Its the same as when you compare a GBA SP whit a Smartphone that can also play GBA Games...

Back