Some Noob Question - 2nd Batch

Yep, Kobo Deluxe does see up+left as upleft. I love that game, and I think it'll be great with a d-pad. It'll also be great with the new digital joystick/button pad I'm making.

Hi guys, after a long break from the forums, i have just a little question regarding the batch 2 pandoras... ;)

can we still expect the units to be delivered before christmas this year, as you have estimated?

hoping to have my question answered.

Thanks a lot! ^_^

Hi guys, after a long break from the forums, i have just a little question regarding the batch 2 pandoras... ;)

can we still expect the units to be delivered before christmas this year, as you have estimated?

hoping to have my question answered.

Thanks a lot! ^_^

No one knows, as it depends on the delivery of various parts from various places that are not under the direct control of OPT.

By my calculations and official estimates from OPT, no 2nd batch Pandoras will be built before February 2011. So unfortunately we 2nd-batchers won't be getting Pandoras for Christmas.

If you need a phone, buy the N900. It costs twice as much for the same OMAP cpu/chipset and it doesn't have dedicated gaming buttons. It does have a cheap piece of plastic to slide over the keyboard, they say it's good enough to do nes games.

Nokia just cleared out a number of them in the US with trade-in offer - any phone, any condition, at least $280 off the discounted price of $450.

I got mine for $150 b sending in an old Nokia that I'd never use again. I imagine that they're going to do it again just before the N9 ships.

Most retailers are selling them for well under $400, and they go for a lot less on eBay.

So saying that it costs twice as much is really overstating things.

Oh, and it'll also runs Android, and soon, MeeGo. Should be fun to tinker with for a while.

By my calculations and official estimates from OPT, no 2nd batch Pandoras will be built before February 2011. So unfortunately we 2nd-batchers won't be getting Pandoras for Christmas.
whaaaaaaaaaat lame, could you link something for that? i was under the impression that end of year at the very least all of the first batch would be out...

we were all under the impression that pandora would ship by xmas of 2008.....and 09.....see a pattern?

im aware of this pattern and although compared to the majority of the community ive waited nothing but im in debt so this kinda sucks right now :( u all have some balls

well then its time for you to do some prioritizing, either lose your house or forget about your pandora, and im sure the choice is clear, i mean theres billions of homes, but only 1000 pandoras around

whaaaaaaaaaat lame, could you link something for that? i was under the impression that end of year at the very least all of the first batch would be out...
I'm under that impression too. ED reckons they can do 200 per day (source) once the nubs are ready, so as long as that's fairly soon the first batch should be finished for Christmas, i.e. in about 2 months :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I have another stupid newb question but I don't think it warrants a whole new topic, so I'm just going to hijack this one-

What can the Pandora do with chat programs? I use Trillian for AIM, as well as Gmail/Facebook's integrated chat program. I remember reading something about Linux not running Java or not understanding Flash without having to reverse-engineer all of the Gibsons, but honestly I have like thirty girlfriends so I cannot bring myself to care that much.

Also, how much Linux am I going to need to know to be able to work this thing?

Hey, I have another stupid newb question but I don't think it warrants a whole new topic, so I'm just going to hijack this one-

What can the Pandora do with chat programs? I use Trillian for AIM, as well as Gmail/Facebook's integrated chat program. I remember reading something about Linux not running Java or not understanding Flash without having to reverse-engineer all of the Gibsons, but honestly I have like thirty girlfriends so I cannot bring myself to care that much.

If I point you to some pandora's chat programs, will you share some (GF) ? :D

What can the Pandora do with chat programs? I use Trillian for AIM, as well as Gmail/Facebook's integrated chat program.
Pidgin. It's an open source multi-chat program. It supports AIM, MSN, YIM, IRC, and GTalk. You're definitely covered for anything except Facebook, and even that may have a plugin somewhere; if not, you'll just have to wait until you're at a PC to chat with your Facebook girlfriends ;)

I remember reading something about Linux not running Java or not understanding Flash without having to reverse-engineer all of the Gibsons, but honestly I have like thirty girlfriends so I cannot bring myself to care that much.
It absolutely has no problem with Java. Technically. It has one problem, and that is that Java is just way too big to fit on the Pandora's internal memory. I've personally managed to install it on an SD card, and will eventually get around to making it easy enough for anyone to do the same, but I got lazy.

Flash is coming along as well: youtube is basically a slide show, and many games are so slow it's pathetic, but it's getting there.

Absolutely none, if you don't want to. You will need to know how to create a directory on an SD card and copy files into that directory, which you can do from any computer, but otherwise the system is designed such that you don't actually need to learn anything. If you use the minimenu, there's nothing to even suggest that it's running Linux underneath. It just looks like any other game console's menu system. You know the Wii channels? It looks a lot like that. If you can use a Wii, you can use the Pandora. Except instead of channels, we have PNDs which you need to download and copy onto an SD card manually. They're working on a way that you don't even have to do that (eventually), though, if you're completely incompetent ;)

It supports AIM, MSN, YIM, IRC, and GTalk.
Don't forget Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, Groupwise, MXit, MySpaceIM, QQ, SILC, SIMPLE, Sametime, XMPP, and Zephyr.

3rd party plugins that might be just a simple recompile away exist for Facebook IM, Gammu (SMS via Bluetooth), Mail.ru, Twitter/Identica/Laconica, NateOn, NetNexus, Netsoul, Ning, OkCupid, Omegle, Rediffbol, Tlen.pl, WinMX, and Xfire, and there are some more that are not listed on pidgin.im.

Yep, Kobo Deluxe does see up+left as upleft. I love that game, and I think it'll be great with a d-pad. It'll also be great with the new digital joystick/button pad I'm making.
For some games (most notably turn-based ones) where you need diagonals as distinct commands, it can help to have a "diagonal lock". When that button (typically a shoulder) is held, only diagonal inputs are accepted.

For some games (most notably turn-based ones) where you need diagonals as distinct commands, it can help to have a "diagonal lock". When that button (typically a shoulder) is held, only diagonal inputs are accepted.
Can you make an example of a game situation? I never was much of a fan of turn-based games and I'm mostly a PC gamer, so I can't think of any in-game-situation where this would be neccessary :huh:

Oh, and I have one last question (for now :D ) - As far as I understand, the left nub is basically the mouse, but what is the right one? (And from where do you people know that? trying out? A wiki article that I couldn't find?)

Oh, and I have one last question (for now :D ) - As far as I understand, the left nub is basically the mouse, but what is the right one?

if the left nub is the mouse movements then the right nub is the mouse clicks.

left=left click

right=right click

up & down=scroll

:)

Back