Some new Pandora stuff available

A long time ago, years before the Pandora was released, I even designed a Art Deco Pandora Case, sadly this concept never went into a real device.
I like it.  Is that hole in the D-pad for what I think it is?
Maybe, I just had the idea with an additional stick that can be screwed into the D-Pad for certain games. I had an classic "Gravis Gamepad" once for my PC, they had this feature. However, there, the stick was only plastic and not very durable. I had the idea to use a metal D-Pad with an optional Metal stick.  However, could be dangerous to use that with an clamshell-design if you accidently want to close the lid when the stick is still in. :D

d-padstick2q3jft.png

Yes, I played to much Bioshock I guess. :D

Some talented people could try to design and 3D print such an case, however, my design was released before the Pandora was finished and the lid does not work at all that way sadly. It's just an advanced sketch that does not really work technicaly. But yes, we still can dream, right? ^^

Yes, I played to much Bioshock I guess. :D

Some talented people could try to design and 3D print such an case, however, my design was released before the Pandora was finished and the lid does not work at all that way sadly. It's just an advanced sketch that does not really work technicaly. But yes, we still can dream, right? ^^

fp_pandora_art_deco_cehksw.jpg
pandora_wurzelholz_17ojez.jpg

a less dramatic set up would work easily. And the details on the case lid would be easy to do. just have the art deco step design stop before the hinge ridge.. It could be made to work.. especially now that the pandora's case designs were released! So you could just modify those. The only tricky thing would be the key map.. Yeah I got a bioshock vibe from it. There are two things I adore. Steampunk and art deco.  :D  Still all of the gold bits would be cool (and pricy) to get brass or some other metal and inlay them. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
that font on the keys is awesome!! very art deco/30's looking...
I wish I could build it.. it'd be so freaking sweet. I really love the way the inner lid bezel looks. Also the details around the buttons are awesome.

Maybe, I just had the idea with an additional stick that can be screwed into the D-Pad for certain games. I had an classic "Gravis Gamepad" once for my PC, they had this feature. However, there, the stick was only plastic and not very durable. I had the idea to use a metal D-Pad with an optional Metal stick.  However, could be dangerous to use that with an clamshell-design if you accidently want to close the lid when the stick is still in.
Excellent.  I like that idea.  It is exactly what I thought.  Don't worry too much about those who are careless or stupid, they will still be that way even if you try to account for it and problems will still arise.

Some talented people could try to design and 3D print such an case, however, my design was released before the Pandora was finished and the lid does not work at all that way sadly.
I think some minor changes can be made to combine your idea with the actual design used and add some Art Deco touches that were overlooked in your example.

I think it might be relatively easy, or at least cheap(ish) to get alternate fonts for the Pyra keyboard.

I didn't notice the metallic stuff around the keys when looking at this before.  I think a few of us like keys like that.

a less dramatic set up would work easily. And the details on the case lid would be easy to do. just have the art deco step design stop before the hinge ridge.. It could be made to work.. especially now that the pandora's case designs were released! So you could just modify those. The only tricky thing would be the key map.. Yeah I got a bioshock vibe from it. There are two things I adore. Steampunk and art deco.  :D  Still all of the gold bits would be cool (and pricy) to get brass or some other metal and inlay them. :D
I searched for the old files, it's really not usable at all. Look at the backside. This would need serious tuning to make it work, the hinge is the most complex part I would say. ^^ It was just a "sketch" at all because I'm not a designer or CAD professional. And Blender is not the best tool to make precise CAD stuff.

backside4jqyh.png

The "gold" is indeed supposed to be brass and the wood finish was based on root wood.

Looking in the blender file, it seems I used that font here:
http://font.downloadatoz.com/font,56178,tall-deco-normal.html

a less dramatic set up would work easily. And the details on the case lid would be easy to do. just have the art deco step design stop before the hinge ridge.. It could be made to work.. especially now that the pandora's case designs were released! So you could just modify those. The only tricky thing would be the key map.. Yeah I got a bioshock vibe from it. There are two things I adore. Steampunk and art deco. :D Still all of the gold bits would be cool (and pricy) to get brass or some other metal and inlay them. :D
I searched for the old files, it's really not usable at all. Look at the backside. This would need serious tuning to make it work, the hinge is the most complex part I would say. ^^ It was just a "sketch" at all because I'm not a designer or CAD professional. And Blender is not the best tool to make precise CAD stuff.
backside4jqyh.png

The "gold" is indeed supposed to be brass and the wood finish was based on root wood.

Looking in the blender file, it seems I used that font here:
http://font.downloadatoz.com/font,56178,tall-deco-normal.html
Make the step up flat (and stop before. Or on the hinge. You could keep the look without the bulky art deck wood stand look. Basically make it less 3D. Wish I could sketch out what I see. The only issue is that massive bump in the back. If it could be printed in a bakelite like plastic then it'd sure look cool.

Yes, it would work with a serious redesign but I like the look of it. ;) So I guess I let it like that, it would be so or so not result in a finished and real case. We have not even got these nice retro-style stickers that disguised Pandoras as old Computers and Consoles. 

I also doubt that real bakelite would work at all, it's a very brittle material and it must be very thick to work. Not really suited for such a small and thin case. ^^"

However, I'm sure modern plastic can be made that just look like (wooden) bakelite, even  without the need to paint it. Could be made out of different coloured plastic or so. 

Yes, it would work with a serious redesign but I like the look of it. ;) So I guess I let it like that, it would be so or so not result in a finished and real case. We have not even got these nice retro-style stickers that disguised Pandoras as old Computers and Consoles. 

I also doubt that real bakelite would work at all, it's a very brittle material and it must be very thick to work. Not really suited for such a small and thin case. ^^"

However, I'm sure modern plastic can be made that just look like (wooden) bakelite, even  without the need to paint it. Could be made out of different coloured plastic or so. 
Nobody makes bakelite anymore. But i've seen numerous modern plastics done to look like it.

wooden+bakelite.jpg

Something like that. I've seen marble plastics done. I've even seen a few 3d printed things that look dead on. though I can't find any sources anymore.  Still the case redesign could easily be done with the pandora case designs that were released. Just modify them a bit for the art deco look and blam. The only issue would be the keymat...

I notice on the shop that the price includes 19% tax. Since I'm in Australia I'm not required to pay this tax. How is this handled?

I notice on the shop that the price includes 19% tax. Since I'm in Australia I'm not required to pay this tax. How is this handled?
IIRC you have to be logged in to make a purchase and when you create your account you have to specify where you are.  Once you've created your account and logged in the website will then use that information in the price calculation so the prices will be shown without tax.

- Neelix

Possibly silly question: could replacement case parts and a replacement LCD be used to turn the Pandora TV Edition into a fully functional unit?

I looked at the prices of the mainboards. You're almost better off getting the TV edition for parts. Unless the TV edition doesn't include the hinge bits.

Back