[SOLVED] Taskbar Has Disappeared

Chero said:

"Advanced : The xfce4 dir in .config contains different files. Not removing the full dir but only the panel files could also help to preserve keyboard shortcuts etc. Not sure if it would reset the panel to default though.
Making a backup of the dir before removing it could also help to restore keyboard shortcuts, backgrounds and alikes.
(maybe I should have mentioned this earlier ... :rolleyes:
"

Not at all and I'm such a Doofus by name and nature that I did back up my directory.

What I found is that.

1) Copy the old and the newly created XFCE-4 dir to a safe place and label as old/default.You could keep the DEF one but a reboot does the job to make it, so just copy your old one I guess.

2)After the reboot. Replace the old XFCE-4 into place and reboot again.

3)Whilst your desktop background will be back, the theme and some other settings wont but all keyboard shortcuts etc will be back in effect without having to re-do them via the terminal etc. I had hoped it would create everything back bar the problems, a form of profiles if you like.

4)Drawbacks are:

i) You'll need to choose 'Elementary' icon types for the desktop icons to display correctly again.

ii) that the icons in Pandora>desktop for things like Wifi Toggle/Run Minimenu that you may have created, will have vanished, yet the app still works from the desktop and is displayed. So I don't know if they can ever be removed/deleted if you wish them so. In settings>desktop choosing 'no icons' removes them, but they come back thereafter, so they are hidden files in your 'desktop' folder for now.

iii) The refreshed panel will be absent web, pidgin and mail icons. These will toggle back into place I just noticed, via desktop>settings and shifting through the 'Icon' type choices. Priorly I restored them manually with different icons. This saves some time.

You were dead right again and I luckily wasn't that stupid to cause myself extra work! :)

Edit: To include item iii)

Sphinxter said:
Something is horribly wrong if your system ever needs to swap period. Utilize the resources you've got well and live within your means and you'll be much happier.
+1

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just started Firefox, opend a few websites , opend tunar, loaded Abiword and then used vlc to open a video file.
et hup, Swap in use..

so, according to your statements there is something horrible wrong, please tell me what.

^ I have to agree. N900 uses dedicated swap too and has got the same amount of RAM. Any serious multitasking requires swap, imo.

Polossatik said:
Well I just started Firefox, opend a few websites , opend tunar, loaded Abiword and then used vlc to open a video file.
et hup, Swap in use..

so, according to your statements there is something horrible wrong, please tell me what.

You'll figure it out.

^ Fine answer, thank you.

Looks like I'll need to answer it myself - there is nothing wrong, and certainly not horribly .

I can't bothered to write a lengthy reply on this, smarter people than me (maybe the name Andrew Morton rings a bell?) already tried to debunk this "swap is always bad" myth.

IF you don't want swap, fine by by me (in certain very specific scenario's I will also agree with this), but don't go out and tell people "swap is always bad" because it's not true and it shows you actually not really understand Linux memory management .

Polossatik said:
Looks like I'll need to answer it myself - there is nothing wrong, and certainly not horribly .
The "horribly wrong" thing you are doing is intentionally overtaxing the system. There are always limits to what you can do. You can work around some of those limits by adding swap space, but eventually even that will reach its limit. I like to reserve such work arounds for when I actually need it; ie, if I've maintained a habit of keeping RAM usage low, and still find I need a little bit more, I can activate swap. If you've taken to expecting swap to always be there, you may find yourself in a pickle when your system starts to crawl because you're now pushing 3 times RAM into a swap file. Just personal preference though.

My personal experience on my N800 is that it actually benefits from a clever swap strategy even when it doesn't run out of memory yet. Dunno, using swap is common technology and makes sense if you use a device as a real computer. My N800 is basically unusable without swap. Ok, one can argue that Pandora has double the RAM, but expectations and requirements increase when you have more power.

Polossatik said:
Makes only real sence when using a Sd card to boot from.
What has to be done that a swap file is automaticly generated on every SD card you insert, independent which one AND of course if you still boot from NAND?
I guess that many Programs need or at least benefit from a swap file because this is how the OS is designed I guess. :)

^ I don't know if it is possible or even desirable to have auto creation of a swapfile on SD insertion, but auto mounting should be possible when there is a swapfile on the SD. It works on the N800, afaik.

Back