So, what's the actual state of the software?

Xcl4m4t10n

Advanced Member
Hello nice people:

Hope this stuff isn't being discussed on any other topic. After reading the last notaz's notes (XD) I am a little afraid about the base software of the Pyra, Is anybody hard-working on it with the same conditions as Nikolaus on the hardware?

Obviously the actual identity of the person working on the OS has to be kept secret, but I can give you a clue:

"He lives at the bottom of a long winding staircase, in a tree, and he's not happy".

Hope that helps.

D.

Can't believe that you lot think I'm talking about Totoro. Really. Does nobody pay attention to any of the avatars we use on this board anymore?

D.

Hello nice people:

Hope this stuff isn't being discussed on any other topic. After reading the last notaz's notes (XD) I am a little afraid about the base software of the Pyra, Is anybody hard-working on it with the same conditions as Nikolaus on the hardware?

The above interesting notes about the state of the developers themselves aside...

The state of the base software for the Pyra sounds better than I had thought they would be at by this stage.  There has been a lot of work done to get the primary hardware working with an OS on the dev board.  Still, there are quite a few pieces to that puzzle that cannot even be created until there are prototypes in the hands of developers.  Audio, wireless, 3D, nubs, LCD &/Vs HDMI, HDMI audio, WiFi, Bluetooth, USB OTG - they all have to be tested, software written, software tweaked, and potentially even hardware tweaked.  Hopefully the hardware will be good, but it is a real and quite likely possibility that the prototype hardware will need to be tweaked in some way.

Prototypes are expensive and likely tedious to build.  By selling a few prototypes and a few dummy boards with pre-pre-order reservations, ED should now have additional funds to help finance the prototypes.

Don't panic - the state of the software is 'Good' and 'Normal' for this stage in the hardware development.  The only strange thing about it is that you're hearing about it at all.  Most companies hide their prototype stages behind very large steel doors.

Prototypes will run a Debian, so let's say that's something big from the start from a software point of view.

Another thing I see as positive with having an early unit, is the excitement provoked by each new feature added.

Back