So What Are Your Credentials?

Sam fisher's being modest. He's a biologist.

I am not really a programmer but I have a computer background. I have a Bachelors of Fine Arts degree in Computer art and animation. I have always loved dabbling in Sculpt 3D on the Amiga when I was a teenager, and in the mid 90's I saw I could really make a living doing it. I have always loved games and thought that this was the route games were really going to go, so I majored in Computer Art. I started in old Alias Wavefront (Maya now) and old 3D Studio (Max now). I got more into FX animation and started using Houdini. (a node/expression based 3D program) Now I work on government contract jobs doing 3d/2d graphical work for military training simulations. Not glamorous but I always have my (not so much) spare time to work on personal animation.

Nova said:
Sam fisher's being modest. He's a biologist.
Ha ha. That is the finest use of "FFS BIOLOGIST!111" I have ever seen. I tip my hat to you fine sir.

I once said this when I was six

Offtopic:

Daddy, when I grow up I want to be an Exophase!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have BS in EE, I work in the automotive field.

I found the GP2X through dynamism from an article about them. I saw open/emulation/homebrew and I was sold.

Im always trying learn new things in different areas, the GP2X is provided a good way to do this. Doing port's and trying to do my own stuff. I never would have found SDL, cross compiling, etc otherwise.

I have no credentials, except that I took a course for Visual Basic at a collage once, and probably arent considered a developer by anyone not on iPodLinux. Im also probably the youngest one to post in this thread :) Im teaching myself C++ and game programming though.

lizard808uk said:
I'm not a developer, but a professional software tester for HP. Last thing I tested was a Govt savings scheme (Kiwisaver) for the 4 million odd people here in NZ (mainly using Mercury stuff). Other stuff I did has been for British Airways and BP back in the UK. I recommend to anyone connected to the IT industry on here is to contract out like a mofo and travel around the world at the same time!

The only other advice I have is to steer clear of SAP... that stuff gives me the shivers!
Excellent! I used to work for HP as an ABAP SAP Programmer. Help write an imaging and faxing system for the contract admin system. If you want the high flying consulting career SAP Consultant is one of them, back in the good 'ol dot com days SAP DBA's were contracting out for about $320/hr (full time).

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as homebrew goes, I've been doing that all my life as a hobby with no intention to ever get into the games industry (I've seen what it does to people after a couple of years). Got a CS degree, then happened to fall into a multimedia job shortly afterwards. Did a mixture of web and touchscreen type work until the web took off in a big way and it's been mostly web apps with a few pda/mobile bits and pieces since then. Due to a couple of lucky buyouts I'm still working for the same boss as when I started 10 years ago, but these days we're part of one of the big mobile telcos.

Taught myself BASIC (and some ASM) on VIC-20 (5K of user RAM baby!) and C64 starting from about age 7. Moved on to Pascal, C, etc in high school. Placed in top 2% in 1997 Canadian Computer Competition. Attended Waterloo for CS for a couple years but left early to join some friends in a startup during the dot-com boom.

Since then have done lots of Java and web apps. Somehow I find myself on a .NET project at the moment. :blink: Currently working at an interactive marketing firm. If there's any Battlefield 1942/Vietnam stat junkies in the house, I created gametrack.org (more specifically, the tracking engine behind it) which polls game servers and collates player statistics.

Sadly, however, I haven't done anything beyond "Hello world" level stuff for my Gamepark. I just enjoy retro gaming too much. ;)

I've been writing homebrew since I was 10 on my Timex-Sinclair ZX81. I'm considerably older than 10 now and that probably pegs my age pretty easily. :eek:

I have a Computer Programmer/Analyst diploma but I'm not sure it is worth much. I got interviews entirely based on my portfolio of homebrew. You can bypass a lot of the interview process if you can link to completed works even before you are done school. I went to a job fair showed off my Palm PDA with my own work on it and that got me an amazing amount of callbacks.

I haven't done much for the GP2X yet, although touchscreen will make it a much more attractive system to code on.

Excellent! I used to work for HP as an ABAP SAP Programmer. Help write an imaging and faxing system for the contract admin system. If you want the high flying consulting career SAP Consultant is one of them, back i the good 'ol dot com days SAP DBA's were contracting out for about $320/hr (full time).

Yeh - ABAP can get you some dosh still these days, particularly if it involves XML. We're using JCAPS as an interface and its ropey as hell. Why the hell do I do this to myself :huh: (need to be reminded of the contract rates :p )

Started coding on the Acorn Electron in basic.. Moved to the Amiga with a cross between Blitz Basic and 68k asm. Wrote a few noddy games and intros (mostly for a bbs I used to have a leech account on!)

Played around with glide on the PC when 3dfx cards were cool, and done a little on directX (but it's a bit too overcomplicated for me).

Now my day job is writing PC apps - mostly in .NET these days.

Will attempt to release a few things for the gp2x when mine finally arrives.

long time programer. work for a worldwide nuclear conglomerate. we specialize in.. nuclear reactors! *gasp* and nuclear fuel and all other nuclear etc. lived/worked in multiple countries.

programming long long long time.

got a CRPG in the works thats coming along well, except my new baby (nearly 4 months old) takes most of my coding time now, but I did bust out a major feature on it yesterday.

I programmed basic when I was a child, then I've evolved to assembly because it was the only compiler I had that could make real executables (well, also because I used to love demo scene and stuff..) that time, and also made me crack my own games (for cheating purposes, it was far more fun to break in the game than to just win itself)... Also learned C, Pascal, Cobol, but none I've played much, perhaps just C..

My programmer career was ruined by my first modem, since them I became more concerned about IT/networking/etc than coding, but I still develop things for embedded applications, mainly microcontrollers

Back