So What Are Your Credentials?

authoreyes

Website
www.markandmarina.com
Hey all -

Very happy to be a new member of your stellar community. I am a relative new GP2X owner, I'd say about 3 months now, and I must say, am completely taken with this little wonder machine. More specifically, however, I am amazed by the quality of the homebrew/emulators/ports. You people have done great work.

Which leads me to my question (sorry if this is worn territory), but what are the backgrounds/jobs of the devs here? I am curious, as I have a CS degree and have been working as a software engineer for most of my life, albeit web-centric job dev for a couple of the big online sites. My old C/ASM skills are rusty and meager, so I am quite impressed with y'all :) Are you mostly hardware/software/kernel devs? What brought you guys to develop for the GP2X?

Hello. Nice to 'meet' you.

I am not a trained programmer and I don't have a degree, but I think with an open source device like this you are missing most the fun if you don't give it a go. The possibility of being able to program it is the reason I got it. The emulation side of it does not interest me that much.

If you're really asking -- 'is this something I can do', then Yes. Just do it. No fear.

jeff

I'm a professional coder. Fear the parenthesis.

(That came harsh; I'm also the most sleep deprived here right now, I think. What I mean to say is .. go it, its fun, nothign beats handheld coding by the seat of your pants. You don't need ASM. You can do C, or Fenix or python or others. You'll do fine.)

Haha -

Sorry guys - I didn't mean to come across as a hesitant dev - I am just generally curious about the people behind the code if you will. I actually don't have much interest in doing development myself....Occasionally I'll get on a kick where I dabble with genetic programmiing or solving programming puzzles posted on various sites, but really I just want to play games :) I was just wondering you how guys got into it, or if your work translates to your passion for GP2x dev.

Ah, well, I'm a workaholic who enjoys the puzzles of coding more than the puzzles of playing :) Coding is _fun_ (in this day and age where as a pro coder you have to progress by becoming a _manager_ (bleh!), the only way to enjoy coding is to do it yourself, on your own terms.)

But then, I also dabble in shareware; make things for yourself, and sometimes sell them to help buy more pizza..woowoo!

jeff

I started programming on the school computer (yes, computer singular :)) back in 1979, I've always enjoyed it more than playing games.

Developing at work's ok, but it's still something I have to do rather than for my own interest. That's where GP2X development comes in, it helps bring back that enthusiasm I had all those years ago.

Like you, I dabble, it's just occasionally a project for the GP2X takes my fancy.

I personally didn't have any background experience in anything I started doing on the GP32 when I started, and moved onto the GP2X when it came out. Currently I'm working towards an IT diploma, then CS degree. I dunno how I managed to wind up actually coding anything useful, but I seem to have pulled it off a couple times ;)

On a side note, I also do interviews with homebrew dev's, which is kinda surprising seeing as I always just scraped by in English at school (might be why my interviews are a little weak on proper english sometimes...

Hi, I'm a migrant code laborer, enjoy embedded systems, enjoy games, enjoy the creative process, like to draw, make funny noises, long, long time cartoon fan, sort of a natural evolution. The gp2x is the most open and a very easy platform to develop for with very little buy in. Nice device too.

- Last year of my 5 years in Computer Engineering
- Top students in my country (don't worry, it's a small country :)) as stated in a national newspaper (sorry, Spanish only: http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2007/septiembr...ea1245038.html), search for "Yuan Hao".
- Submitted a paper on collaborative software, and was selected (and no, not everyone was selected, in fact I don't think that many submitters without a masters or PhD degree were selected) on the CLEI, the biggest Latin-american Computer-related conference hosted in my country this year (http://www.clei2007.org/).
- Went on a 2-week trip to Japan for excellence in Japanese language (also fluent in Spanish, Chinese, and English).
- And being 22 years old, this is what makes me proud: http://www.wind-water.net :) (commercial game for the GP2X!)

The truth is, of all that stuff, I love videogames, making them more than playing them. :D (Oh, and I love ASM, TASM must never die!!)

skeezix: I think we share one common trait :) getting puzzled by programming rules!

Wow Ark, very impressive.

I gradutated a Bacholar of Software Engineering. I did a few years of software project work (mostly defence and business apps) and was asked to apply for a job at Irrational Australia by a close friend there because of my game folio (and free advice given to protect their games from piracy).

Instead I moved into Information Security which is my other interest; due to financial reasons.

I'm happy here. I work less hours and get more time for my own work. But I don't code at all for work. Just give the developers security requirements and tell them off for not complying.

My game experiance is mostly just Java applications and linear algabra oh and porting and admit that I suck at compiling. I used to work on the NN section of OpenAI before it became discontinued.

I have a Info science seal on my H.S. Diploma, I am finishing for my BS in C.S. I never programed for the GP32, but I am working on some stuff for the GP2X including Mario HDR but that one still in it's conceptual/implementation stage, most likely will end up on the F-200 at least.

I'm not a developer, but a professional software tester for HP. Last thing I tested was a Govt savings scheme (Kiwisaver) for the 4 million odd people here in NZ (mainly using Mercury stuff). Other stuff I did has been for British Airways and BP back in the UK. I recommend to anyone connected to the IT industry on here is to contract out like a mofo and travel around the world at the same time!

The only other advice I have is to steer clear of SAP... that stuff gives me the shivers!

(embedded) Software Engineer (well actually chief SW Developer (Design Authority) in mid-sized engineering co).
~24 years in industry - Degree qualified.

First release on gp2x is (always) imminent.. no, it really is 99% complete; I just keep thinking of 'new stuff' to add.

As people have said, nice to code for fun when time allows.

Professional software engineer for nearly 20 years - MOD stuff, radars, ticket machine software (for London Underground - did the code for the Retail Terminals you can buy tickets from in newsagents, etc.), web development, etc.

Haven't had time to start coding for the GP2X yet (well I did build a "hello world" to see how difficult it would be) due to young kids and other hobbies, but I hope to start soon...

I bought gp2x to increase programmng skills and my outsights of a coder/game developer. After new fleshchasmer game I'll return to PCs to create next-gen homebrew.

Credentials, moi? :lol:

No credentials, self-taught Irish coding madman, been programming a variety of systems and software types for nearly 20 years, I've also played around with web development ( html, cgi/perl, php, flash ) and was working on a PHP Content Management System that I finally put on hold as I wasn't getting any external help and didn't have the time to continue ( already had the news system, forum system, templates system admin panels, module and blocks systems, etc... )

Anyway, I love to solve complicated coding situations most of the time, and enjoy belonging to both this community and the spanish one. :)

Edit: I'm currently working on Project T.I.M ( link in my signature ), it's on hold awaiting arrival of my all new F-200 B)

Wow -

Thanks for the great responses, some really accomplished people here :)

I started programming back on the C64 and had planned on breaking into game dev after college, but took a lucrative job programming doing c and delphi/powerbuilder apps to pay the bills. Long story short, ended up switching to java due to the bubble and salary hikes, and for the past 5 years I have been coding away at Orbitz on various teams. All this discussion is making me think twice about trying to cook up a couple of homebrew apps...

Back