Your Top 3 Emu's

toady

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Well I have taken the plunge at last and (pre) ordered an GP2X - however while I am waiting I thought I had better get a few things straight....

So what I'd like to know is: What are your top 3 Emulator choices (if you could only pack 3) and a brief why you chose those three.... Things like - full speed game play - plays the titles you like that sort of thing.

I look forward to your replies.

I use PicoDrive because I love sonic games, and theres plenty of other good games too; it fullspeed.
gpSP2X because it has mario and sonic games,
DrPocketSNES, becuase it has mario games.

PicoDrive - Plays all the great Megadrive games fullspeed along with SegaCD emulation. For me, it's the Gp2x's best emulator.

GnGeo - All games are fullspeed with sound, and plays Gouro: Mark of the Wolves.

Mame - Sinistar!!!! Plus other classics ^_^

PicoDrive - Full speed and very stable.

GPSP - Gameboy Advance that runs well and allows saves? What's not to love? The speed is more than good enough for me as well; Fire Emblem V, Baldur's Gate, Tactis Ogre... fun, fun, fun.

MAME - Playing Black Tiger again is great - playing it on a unit that fits in my pocket is unbelievable.

Of course there are many others that I love as well like BasiliskII, UAE, RACE, OutcaST, VICE, etc. My suggestion is load up as many different ones that your SD will hold and give them a whirl, you're bound to be impressed and even find some that emulate systems you never had a chance to play with when they were actual systems and really have some retro fun.

The brilliance of the GP2X is that there's really no reason to choose just 3 emulators, but I'll play along.

My 3 most used emulators are clear.
-GPFCE - near-flawless NES emulation
-PicoDrive - near-flawless Genesis/MD/Sega-CD emulation
-MAME - does an excellent job with almost any pre-90s arcade machines

naples39 said:
The brilliance of the GP2X is that there's really no reason to choose just 3 emulators...
I quite agree, however - I'm waiting for my pre-ordered F200 to show up (I have no idea yet how long thats going to take) and so in the mean time I am trying to work out what emu's I'll likly have the best sucsess with - going with the best of everyones top 3 should give me a good shot at picking good ones first time and avoiding that initial bad experiance that could overshaddow my GP2X ownership ;)

Thanks guys keep em coming !

Last edited by a moderator:
PicoDrive: playing the translated version of Langrisser 2 right now, love it! It's even better than the first one (Warsong).

GPFCE: playing MegaMan on the go rocks!

gp2xengine: Devil's Crush is so addicting!

ooohh, im going to struggle with only three :blink:

I think my 3 most used emulators are:-

gp2xhandy (by tuskenraider) - the best portable atari lynx emulator I have used since the original lynx! In fact its better that the lynx because it has safe states, the 2x is a lot smaller, and if you think the battery life is poor on the 2x its got nothing on the lynx, used to have to remortgage my house to provide batteries for it. Love the games and used to have one as a kid, so they bring back lots of memories too.

gp2xspectrum (by metalbrain)- Great speccy emulator, again this was one of my favourite computers from my childhood, so maybe not for everybody, but I find the games provide me with a lot of enjoyment, even ones I never played in the day.

gpsp (by exophase) - wonderful emulator, its nice to play a few more impressive up to date games and here you have all the mario games, rpg, harry potter games etc.......

I use, probably, most of the emulators avalible, these are just the ones that get used a little more often than the others. :)

psx4all: playstation! (Raiden Project)

gpSP: GBA! (Castlevania/Metroid/Pokemon)

picodrive: Genesis! (Sonic/others)

DrMDx (I should be using Picodrive but I can't be bothered to change it)
Gnuboy2X (there are loads of great GBC games)
Hu6280 (hangs, I'll sort that at some point with the .ini - but PCE games are excellent)

Toady said:
atomicthumbs said:
psx4all: playstation! (Raiden Project)
I hear different things about the PSX emu's - is it actually playable with anything like native speed ?

Yes, but Raiden is only 2D and it’s the only game I play on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picodrive (emulator runs smooth, even CD games + great games for the system like gunstar heroes, sonic and james pond)
gpFCE (I love the NES :D - this emulator works also great)
gpSP (Has great games)

1-PocketSnes:Greatest RPG's of all the time ; CT,ToP,FF,BL,SoM,TO ;
2-Gpsp : Excellent RPG,Strategy and Action games : Fire Emblem,Summon Night,Castlevania,Pokemon series
3-Picodrive: Shining Force,Phantasy Star,Shadowrun,Sonic games

ordered on frequency of use.I also play NeoGeo (KOF,SS,MS series especially) a lot but they don't take much time as role-playing games

1. GP2xpectrum - This is the emulator I use the most. It isn't too user friendly, but it has most of the features I need to play most ZX Spectrum games
2. DrPocketSNES - This is my SNES emulator of choice, although they all have their strengths and weaknesses. This one handles the games I mainly play best and is nice and easy to use.
3. GPSP - This is another one with an unfriendly user interface but it emulates well and has all the features that are required.

Back