So... Should I Order One Now?

Anal DIsco

Still Fresh
Pardon my ignorance of the current Pandora status. I've been sort of off and on with when Pandora catches my fancy and over the years I've more or less gotten the impression that well... things can go awry. But I never thought you wouldn't come through and I can fully appreciate the hardships you guys overcame. But I still wasn't as dedicated as those who pre-ordered the first batches and I know they'll be getting their dues first. So for somebody like me who's fickle... how long can I expect to wait between ordering one and one arriving?

nobody knows.
as someone who pre-ordered on the day and has followed the project everyday since, i would estimate that the back of the queue will get theirs in september / october time - but that's just my estimate.

Seeing as to how only ~15% of the original preorderers have their Pandoras and OPT is essentially out of parts to build more, I would say no time soon.

gibberish said:
nobody knows.
as someone who pre-ordered on the day and has followed the project everyday since, i would estimate that the back of the queue will get theirs in september / october time - but that's just my estimate.

2-3 months... doesn't sound too bad. I thought the 3DS was going to be released around then but turns out I was wrong so that works for me getting a Pandora.

Also... has some form of telephony been released for the Pandora? I remember the PandaPhone thing and seeing something about a sim-card adapter for the SD slot. I would totally get one in place of the new phone I'll have to get when my Sidekick (I know lol) craps out which is looking to be soon. Otherwise... are there any phones you can use to tether it or use VoIP on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anal Disco said:
gibberish said:
nobody knows.

2-3 months... doesn't sound too bad. I thought the 3DS was going to be released around then but turns out I was wrong so that works for me getting a Pandora.

Also... has some form of telephony been released for the Pandora? I remember the PandaPhone thing and seeing something about a sim-card adapter for the SD slot. I would totally get one in place of the new phone I'll have to get when my Sidekick (I know lol) craps out which is looking to be soon. Otherwise... are there any phones you can use to tether it or use VoIP on it?

i would like to know also

The Pandora is never going to be a smartphone replacement. Never.

cbox said:
wouldn't that depend on what you would want to do on said smartphone?

joce said:
cbox said:
wouldn't that depend on what you would want to do on said smartphone?
It's been made quite clear by the team (as far as I understand), that there will never be any ability to make phone calls. The Pandora is certainly smart, but will never be a phone.

There are USB modem sticks that also have the ability to make phone calls. To that end, you could, in theory, use the Pandora to make actual phone calls, not just VOIP ones, effectively turning it into a real phone. No, no one has made any progress towards this, I doubt the interest is great enough that anyone who actually wants to do so has received their Pandora yet. But it is entirely possible, it just requires a USB stick that costs about the same as a basic unlocked phone.
Alternatively, since the Pandora has bluetooth, you could just buy a basic unlocked phone, something small and discreet, keep it in a backpack or something, pair your Pandora with it, and use your Pandora as a wireless headset. It's almost the same.

Anal Disco said:
gibberish said:
nobody knows.

2-3 months... doesn't sound too bad.

Since we have so little information, one estimate is as good as another. I'd guess end of October at the earliest, and that's assuming that production restarts pretty much immediately.

So, if I were you, I'd start with Halloween, and add a day for every day that passes without production being resumed.

There have been a couple of DIY phone projects mentioned, and I think jboyx plans to do more with his. If you want a smooth solution to using Pandora as your primary phone, it's not going to happen. But if you're getting a Pandora anyway and want to play with some telephony on the side, you'll probably have some avenues (or at the very least, a few likeminded people to help you with your own project).

I cancelled this week due to lack of information on a delviery date. I ordered December 09 when it appeared that production was in full swing. Seeing what's happended and the way the project's gone I can't realisticaly see a delivery anytime soon.

ging said:
I cancelled this week due to lack of information on a delviery date. I ordered December 09 when it appeared that production was in full swing. Seeing what's happended and the way the project's gone I can't realisticaly see a delivery anytime soon.
You know they're already shipping, right?
Slowly, at an average rate of about 100 per week, but shipping is shipping.

We can be fairly sure you'll wait more than 2 months. However, there are limited slots left (only as people cancel) and assuming that more start leaking into the real world demand for those slots will probably increase.
Put it like this... if you want one by christmas for certain, best not wait till batch 2 is opened up for sale.

WizardStan said:
ging said:
You know they're already shipping, right?
Slowly, at an average rate of about 100 per week, but shipping is shipping.

Yep. As far as I have read there is are no details of when the cases are expected from China.It was like getting blood out of a stone for the first 1000. I am somewhere in the 3500-4000 range so I'm not prepared to wait anymore.

ging said:
Yep. As far as I have read there is are no details of when the cases are expected from China.It was like getting blood out of a stone for the first 1000. I am somewhere in the 3500-4000 range so I'm not prepared to wait anymore.
You know that Pandoras have been selling on ebay for 3-5 times what they were originally sold for? If you're just tired of waiting and don't actually need the money, it may be worthwhile to hold onto your order and sell it off that way. I'm fairly certain demand isn't going to come down so much you won't at least get your money back. That's what I'd do, anyway; it's cool if you don't want to take the risk, I'm trying to give helpful suggestions that don't result in people losing money due to currency conversion.

WizardStan said:
ging said:
You know that Pandoras have been selling on ebay for 3-5 times what they were originally sold for? If you're just tired of waiting and don't actually need the money, it may be worthwhile to hold onto your order and sell it off that way. I'm fairly certain demand isn't going to come down so much you won't at least get your money back. That's what I'd do, anyway; it's cool if you don't want to take the risk, I'm trying to give helpful suggestions that don't result in people losing money due to currency conversion.

No, its the people that are tired of waiting and don't need their money that BUY the Pandoras from ebay.

Back