My Impressions Of My New Pandora(versus My First Batch One)

NoeleyC

Got my 1gigger this afternoon, so I thought I might as well do a first impression of it. The new paint certainly give it a different feel to my original one, at first I thought the buttons were a little smaller, but that was just the impression of the new coloured case around the keys! Build quality otherwise seems improved, each of the game buttons has equal firmness to it, on the other the Y button was considerably stiffer than the rest(I've had it for over 18 months, and it never eased out, but that's ok.

Biggest difference I've found on the machine itself is the screen, it's a different coating to my original so the stylus handles quite differently on it. It's like it's stickier or sometime(hard to describe). Nubs handle great, wifi works as well as ever.

As regards software, the main quick ones I've tried to push it a little were n64(noticeably faster), FBA and . Those two seem to run a lot faster, was almost doing well at Street Fighter 3 Third Strike! Last one I tried was Grim Fandango using Residual, that runs great indeed! I never really got the hang of Qemu, so I've not tried that yet...

(null)

Forgot to say i'm trying Android now, I'll see how I get on with that!! :) interesting tidbit, I'm downloading the data files for GTA 3 right now @ 250k download speed, didn't think this port of Android hit that speed actually!

(null)

I tried Pew Pew 2 earlier, still some slowdown when things get busy on screen. I also ran PandUAE, but it stil has slightly stuttery sound, but I had forgotten how nice the 800x480 Workbench was, I hope john4p gets hi res modes up and running at some stage in UAE4ALL! :)

(removed unnecessary duplications!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Pew Pew 2 earlier, still some slowdown when things get busy on screen. I also ran PandUAE, but it stil has slightly stuttery sound, but I had forgotten how nice the 800x480 Workbench was, I hope john4p gets hi res modes up and running at some stage in UAE4ALL! :)

Whoops!

Yes I don't know why my post went up in triplicate, guess that's the odd things that might happen when I post from my iPod!

Tis sweet alright.Im gonna finally put a bunch of software on mine now that i have some free time.Uae 2.0 i must test many different roms.

I have an original one nubber, bent bezel, crack or two, spongy shoulder button etc (which if ED is watching, I may send to him for an upgrade of the case and maybe a couple of working nubs :)

This may not be an appopriate topic to respond to given I dont have a new 1ghz - but I did just get a new rebirth edition from ED, clocks safely to 1ghz (havent tried higher yet). Overall quality feel is much better, nubs far better (obviously, given one was borked, but they are still much better than the functioning nub), screen appears as good if not a bit brighter. Overall very pleased, thanks OP, very pleased to see the marked and continuous improvements.

Better start saving for product 3 and p2 I think, having recently got an icp which I am also very pleased with.

Cheers

Simon

I run alot of games without sound stutters (accessing floppy is a big performance hit on the emulator).

I also use protracker and octamed without sound problems.

Somebody should work on PandUAE, It's overall a much nicer emulator.

I run alot of games without sound stutters (accessing floppy is a big performance hit on the emulator).

I also use protracker and octamed without sound problems.

Somebody should work on PandUAE, It's overall a much nicer emulator.

IIRC Hideki stopped his development of PandUAE after losing the source code, so that was the end of that! I've not seen him on here in an age too. I do think UAE4ALL has several advantages at present too, including AGA support and the ability to resize the screen on the fly, that's very useful!

Oh my newest update is trying things out is Doomrunner, which is showing some graphical glitches, enemies being seen through walls, that kinda thing. Not sure if it's my Pandora or simply upgrades to the system software doing this, will have to try and compare on my other Pandora!

Back