So, Say Gph Released A Sequel...

TelcoLou posted on Feb 1 2006 at 08:57 PM said:
Ravnos posted on Feb 1 2006 at 10:55 PM said:
I find the regular dpad/buttons work better in Animal Crossing for everything except selling stuff to Tom Nook. It's useful in other games, though.

How 'bout entering text ;) I also like it for fishing. I wouldn't hate a touch screen on the next GP though ...
I forgot about text entry. It's great for that, too. But I fish with the A button myself.

If a touch screen could be added to the next GP for cheap though, I would also not be angry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
why does gp2x has 2 processors anyway??

but someday lord Vader® will release the libs for controlling both processors, and the life of a LOT of people here will become easier.

what i want??

single core.. since nobody knows why the another one is there...
a recall, if they release a new one. like: gp2x + 50 = gp3x l33t evul

rodmap.JPG

MMSP3 anyone?

It'd have a full keboard hidden within it, built in bluetooth2 and 802.11g, a 5" LCD, and a dual analog stick / d-pad setup.

i'd go for a mini trackball inplace of an analog or dpad since it could function as both anyway and work for spinner and paddle games in mame

double the ram
touchscreen
wifi

By level of importance IMO:
FPU
Better Joystick
ARM10 CPU @ around 533Mhz
built in Opengl /w acceleration
Wifi
USB Host

Turambar posted on Feb 2 2006 at 10:10 AM said:
MMSP3 anyone?

No, why do we need a stupid 3D system? If you want that buy a PSP or DS. 3D is useless for emulators and stuff like that. And to those that are going to say to forget emus and bring on 3D stuff then why not just get a PSP? Don't we have enough 3D handhelds already? The current CPU would have been great if they would have given the second core it's own RAM so that all memory isn't shared. That is what I would have wanted in the GP2X, better stick or D-pad, regular analog volume dial, action buttons where the volume is now, memory for the second core, and that is about it. It must be cost effective guys. If it is too expensive it won't sell well.

DaveC posted on Mar 5 2006 at 11:32 PM said:
MMSP3 anyone?

No, why do we need a stupid 3D system? If you want that buy a PSP or DS. 3D is useless for emulators and stuff like that. And to those that are going to say to forget emus and bring on 3D stuff then why not just get a PSP? Don't we have enough 3D handhelds already? The current CPU would have been great if they would have given the second core it's own RAM so that all memory isn't shared. That is what I would have wanted in the GP2X, better stick or D-pad, regular analog volume dial, action buttons where the volume is now, memory for the second core, and that is about it.
I presume the more powerful processer is all and all a bad thing for you?
BTW floating point can be used for other things?!

theoddbot posted on Mar 5 2006 at 10:39 PM said:
A 3d processor would have all the functionality of the current 2d accellerator, and more. No reason not to have it.

Wouldn't a USEABLE second core with it's own memory be much more useful for emulation though? The 3D chip would also mean they would use an analog stick for the unit too because analog goes with 3D. Analog sticks SUCK for emulation so it would kind of ruin that aspect of the system.

DaveC posted on Mar 5 2006 at 10:32 PM said:
MMSP3 anyone?

No, why do we need a stupid 3D system? If you want that buy a PSP or DS. 3D is useless for emulators and stuff like that. And to those that are going to say to forget emus and bring on 3D stuff then why not just get a PSP? Don't we have enough 3D handhelds already? The current CPU would have been great if they would have given the second core it's own RAM so that all memory isn't shared. That is what I would have wanted in the GP2X, better stick or D-pad, regular analog volume dial, action buttons where the volume is now, memory for the second core, and that is about it. It must be cost effective guys. If it is too expensive it won't sell well.

Why not have 3D? It will make for more interesting homebrew. There's nothing to lose by having it... A 3D chip would mean the possibility of getting faster PSX emulation and maybe even N64. It would be a good thing...

Wouldn't a USEABLE second core with it's own memory be much more useful for emulation though? The 3D chip would also mean they would use an analog stick for the unit too because analog goes with 3D. Analog sticks SUCK for emulation so it would kind of ruin that aspect of the system.

Analog doesn't neccessarily go with 3D, look at the PSX (pre dualshock) or the DS. Even PSP games are often playable on just the D-Pad.

DaveC posted on Mar 5 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
MMSP3 anyone?

If we were talking about a machine being released tomorrow, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly. We're not, though. Assuming there's a GP3X or whatever, it'll be a few years down the road and presumably things like 3D accelerators and faster CPUs with FPUs will be much cheaper. As such, I'd gladly welcome such additions to the machine.

For right now though, I'm pretty happy with my 2X.

Anhaedra posted on Mar 5 2006 at 10:48 PM said:
Analog doesn't neccessarily go with 3D, look at the PSX (pre dualshock) or the DS. Even PSP games are often playable on just the D-Pad.

Yeah but the likelyhood of a 3D system being released these days without analog is practically nil. If the system was 3D it would almost for sure have an analog controller. It would then be competing in the crowded 3D handheld market. A retro gaming based handheld has no need for 3D and analog control. If it is not retro that you want just choose from the other more supported 3D systems already out. Buy a PSP or DS today and don't wait for a GP3X.

It would be nice if a new GP2X was made with more hardware specifically tailored to emulating 2D systems like tile engines, alpha channel effects, "mode 7" type hardware support for hardware scaling and rotation of independant objects, hardware sprites etc.

DaveC posted on Mar 5 2006 at 03:57 PM said:

Yeah but the likelyhood of a 3D system being released these days without analog is practically nil. If the system was 3D it would almost for sure have an analog controller. It would then be competing in the crowded 3D handheld market. A retro gaming based handheld has no need for 3D and analog control. If it is not retro that you want just choose from the other more supported 3D systems already out. Buy a PSP or DS today and don't wait for a GP3X.

I hate to break it to you, but by the time a "GP3X" comes out, the PSX and N64 will be considered "retro" and people will be interested in emulating them. Hell people are already interested in that, but by 2009-10 there will be people who look at those consoles the way we do the 8 and 16-bit machines. As long as the capabilities are there for older systems to be emulated (a digital d-pad + an analog stick), they would be foolish not to include such things. They would only be limiting their market.

DaveC posted on Mar 5 2006 at 10:57 PM said:

It would be nice if a new GP2X was made with more hardware specifically tailored to emulating 2D systems like tile engines, alpha channel effects, "mode 7" type hardware support for hardware scaling and rotation of independant objects, hardware sprites etc.

Hmm could you explain why analog is bad for emulation? I've used an Xbox controller on my PC for emulating GBA, SNES and N64 and it wasn't bad.

Back