Gp2x Problem Solutions

A good portion of this forum is used to describe GP2X problems. This thread is designed to brainstorm actual ways that 2X users can bring about change. This is not the proper place for "I like my 2X posts"--because we all like our 2xes, or at the very least, try pretty hard.

here one of my ideas, the 'strongarm email' idea:
The GPL issue for showing us that GPH responds to negative press and hateful emails. Especially when they're backed by the threat of losing money.  All we have to do is show them that there are more ways to lose money than through lawsuits.  Afterall without the 'stick' of money loss, there's little reason for GPH to act quickly on our unit aside from them 'being nice'.

I suggest that an official list of our problems should be made, and *we* should set a reasonable (possibly generous) date in the future that they are all to be fixed. An email should be drafted--possibly in korean, and GPH should be sent this, by many individual users. If our demands aren't met by this specified date, the entire group that helped draft the letter of demands should return their GP2X units to their vendors and begin 'negative campaigning' on a large scale.

It's a shame that it's come to this. But how many of us thought it would be 'just a month or two' until the problems were sorted out? I sure did. I have no pity for GPH. There has been more than enough time to repair the problems in this unit, and there are tons of other handhelds in the world, none of which (to my knowledge) were launched like this.
It's harsh--very harsh, and it's not good for seeing 'gp3x' development. That's its down side. The other down side, is that not too many of us, myself included, want to get rid of our units. So what are your suggestions?

Another solution is requesting small patches and scripts that fix individual problems. Since this isn't really a full release, only the affected code would need be released, correct? And since that code is released, even if the patch doesn't work, there's a chance the community could improve upon it. We don't know why GPH won't release the full source, but maybe this gets around a couple of their hang-ups.

So there's two of mine. Now it's your turn. What are your ideas to produce change?

Umm... DIY.

Problems with the joystick, get DaveC's cap.
Problems with the screen, get the CPU/LCD Tweak.
Problems with the headphone jack, break out the solder.

I'm really not seeing the benefits of this action against GPH. They already have enough to deal with, what with the GPL.

P.S. I'm not saying the GPL thing isn't their fault, and I certainly do NOT want to start a flamewar.

a lot of us have DIYed. I myself have done the first two. I guess my biggest issue is actually with the movie player, though. Something I don't think I'll be able to DIY. I suppose I could DIY myself back to 1.1.0, but that has its own problems.

DaveC's cap is a godsend, I don't think any solution GPH thinks up will be as nice. Unless they simply 'borrow' the design.

So yes, DIY is an effective solution for a number of problems.

Last time I looked, even with its problems, the 2x is a steal at ~$180. Might just be the way I'm looking at it, with all the great emus being worked on.

iignotus posted on Feb 13 2006 at 03:22 PM said:
Last time I looked, even with its problems, the 2x is a steal at ~$180. Might just be the way I'm looking at it, with all the great emus being worked on.

I just got one for my wife ... $169 at Play Asia :D

But yes, back on topic ...

I knew what I was getting into from the beginning ... it seems that the folks who complain the most didn't realize the rawness of this system, and how much DIY work was involved in tweaking things.

I remember one of the first things I asked about was the joystick; I was elated that the 'clicky' sound was gone :lol:

So my advice to those who are interested in one: Read these forums. A lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we should ask nicely for the dealers to send requests to GPH, if we could get all the dealers to ask for stuff it would be nice.

I think if we could get a "dev" model with no stick for $20 less or $40 less with no case, and then get people on making replacement cases and the D-Pad mods for the same price as the original.

If GPH sees how many people are willing to go for that, they might make PCB 2.0 with more of these options on it, how about unpowered USB host on one side?

nubie posted on Feb 13 2006 at 06:33 PM said:
I think we should ask nicely for the dealers to send requests to GPH, if we could get all the dealers to ask for stuff it would be nice.

I think if we could get a "dev" model with no stick for $20 less or $40 less with no case, and then get people on making replacement cases and the D-Pad mods for the same price as the original.

If GPH sees how many people are willing to go for that, they might make PCB 2.0 with more of these options on it, how about unpowered USB host on one side?

the stick and case are probably the cheapest things...only way you're going to shave off a third of the price is by losing the lcd. also, i'm sure they're set up to manufacture them in just the one way, so retooling their production line would probably cost them more. not to mention, i think even DIYers would probably rather just buy the thing put together, that way if all else fails you have the original casing etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back