So, Erm.. About Those Silk Screens

darkblu

ok, i disclaim all responsibility for the consequences of this thread. i also express my sincere apology if there was such a thread recently (feel free to yell at me if so). hereupon i ask a simple technical question, though:

is it possible to get a pandora without the silk screen? (why? blame craig and his crappy videos of the first MP units)

if N customers announced in advance they preferred the pure black case, would it be possible for whoever was arranging the silk screening (ED?) to order N less silkscreens?

it's not a big deal, and i would not cry bloody murder if the answer was 'not possible', but if it was possible then i'd rather have it that way than having to remove the darn silk screen myself during my first hour with the device.

thanks.

ps: given the silk screen remains, i'd not really bother with chemicals - i'd just paint black over the white spots.

You might be able to remove it from your case after you got it? Not sure how silk screening totally works, and I'm not sure what kind of ink/paint/dye they use, but you might be able to chemically remove it (as I doubt scratching it off would work).

You might change your mind after you see it with the matte finish!

Vorporeal said:
You might be able to remove it from your case after you got it? Not sure how silk screening totally works, and I'm not sure what kind of ink/paint/dye they use, but you might be able to chemically remove it (as I doubt scratching it off would work).
I doubt it. It's more likely to damage the case while trying to remove the printing. I've done that stuff when I was a student and we used an electro plane to scrape it off because it was a pretty aggressive and resistant paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several sources on the Interwebs suggest WD-40 or Goo-Gone for removing silkscreening on plastics. Of course you'd want to remove all the electronics from the case before attempting to spray lubricants, or rubbing chemicals on your Pandora's sensitive areas. I suspect that the matte finish might impede silkscreen paint removal though. If you end up giving it a go, let us know the results. :)

Back