Assurance About Pandora's Hardware Design

peca

Website
Visit site
If I may ask somebody competent and cognizant of Pandora's internals which is probably MWeston but maybe somebody other from involved developers. I compile some HW informations about Pandora but some of they can be obsolete or inaccurate.

I beg other forum user to not speculate and keep this thread just about information only. However if somebody else want ask something within topic or answer (and link source) questions then (s)he is welcome.

1/ About EXT port and internal solder pads. It's based on several posts from MWeston http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...t-can-they-do/page__view__findpost__p__648916, http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50676-smaller-batteries/page__view__findpost__p__780882, http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...oras-ext-port/page__view__findpost__p__704369, http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...t-can-they-do/page__view__findpost__p__648937:

I can't find proper post but if I remember correctly there is one unused (not connected) GPIO line wired to lid. Second thing is 2 unused solder pads for LEDs on right side. I'd like to know how it is wired. If they is just bare GPIO lines or wired to power management chip or if they has PWM control or so.

Just for confirmation: Is L2/R2 bare GPIO line? Is for KP/BL still valid this "One pad connects to the battery and the other to a ball on the power management chip that provides a current sink for up to 160mA. It has PWM control for brightness variability so it was designed for specifically driving LEDs." info?

2/ About LCD. Based on http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/39741-pandora-outside/page__view__findpost__p__573484:
Parameters are quite clear: brightness: 300 cd/m2; contrast ratio: 450:1; response time: tr + tf=30ms. I can't find proper post but remember that this is the same display as in Archos 605. I'd like to know who is it's manufacturer or vendor. Part No or product ID would be the best.

EDIT:
3/ I recall that there is some internal I2C. Is there some pads or points where can be user I2C slave attached and somehow driven? Is this possible or make this sense? I'm not skilled in electronic engineering I just roughly know what does I2C mean. In example if I (well, somebody more skilled) decide to attach accelerometer (aside to internal room) to internal I2C bus, is then possible use this device in own SW?

--
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next questions are about keyboard and gaming inputs. Game controls and three special keys are connected directly to GPIO, right? How are connected those analog nubs? Is it on some A/D or trough I2C? I assume that keyboard is connected to TPS65950 on 8 x 8 matrix input, right?

EDIT: I apologize if answers are on board already, but I can't find them.

peca said:
Next questions are about keyboard and gaming inputs. Game controls and three special keys are connected directly to GPIO, right? How are connected those analog nubs? Is it on some A/D or trough I2C? I assume that keyboard is connected to TPS65950 on 8 x 8 matrix input, right?

EDIT: I apologize if answers are on board already, but I can't find them.

The nubs output digital data serially. I can't remember if it's I2C or SPI. I just remember that it changed from one to the other at some point. I think it's I2C.

Exophase said:
The nubs output digital data serially. I can't remember if it's I2C or SPI. I just remember that it changed from one to the other at some point. I think it's I2C.
Thanks for hint. According to Google it really seems to be I2C now:
Squidge said:
There's a post on here by MWeston with the details of such, but it has since been modified through the various board revisions (for example, the spare i2c is now used by the analog controllers).

So you'll have to wait for MWeston to answer, and he's most likely very busy at the moment.
Yuppee! That's one accurate:
MWeston said:
The Atmel chips come with the nubs. They have closed source drivers on them to control the nubs and we just buy them from the manufacturer preprogrammed as part of the set. They have an I2C interface connected to the OMAP processor. They have nothing to do with the gaming buttons or keypad so you right and Notaz is right in what he was trying to say about all the buttons. :)

I'm trying figure out audit diagram. According to some MWeston's posts there is few independent audio paths:

inputs:
Code:
OMAP3. McBSP4 <- TPS65950.Audio AUX <- line in
                         .Main Mic <-- internal microphone
                         .Sub Mic <--- headphone microphone
outputs:
Please, what amplifier is used in place those "some amp"? And what OMAP lines are used for TPS65950 -> USB Car kit really (McBSP1 is just my guesstimation)?
Code:
OMAP3.McBSP2 -> PCM1773 -> some amp -> headphones
                       '-------------> line out
OMAP3.McBSP1 -> TPS65950 ------------> USB Car kit
OMAP3.McBSP3 ------------------------> BT (A2DP)
A2DP remind me, if video streming trough Video Distribution Profile is possible?

There was a picture of the PCB a long while ago where some of the IC printings were readable, IIRC. Maybe the amp is among them?

mali said:
There was a picture of the PCB a long while ago where some of the IC printings were readable, IIRC. Maybe the amp is among them?
Sure it is. Good idea, I try Google to sort which is what.
EDIT: Found something on MWeston's photobucket, but unreadable. :-(

Back