Snes Super Strike Eagle

firefly2442

Website
www.rivetcode.com
I was just curious if something like Super Strike Eagle for the Super Nintendo would be possible or is already out. The graphics in this game were very good for the time. Could the GP2X handle it? :)

edit: Or StarFox? That was a great game.

It might run kind of slow in SquidgeSNES or it might run damn fast. Hard to say til you try. But 2 games very similar to it I know run well are F-15 Strike Eagle II and F-177A Night Storm for MegaDrive/Genesis that run at 60 FPS easily in DrMDx and they are probably a bit prettier than this SNES title since they look to all use software rendering, not add-on chips, and the MD's CPU was a LOT beefier.

And the chip starfox uses being emulated... well, there were 2 games back in Zsnes's early days that didn't run on my PII 233MHz machine. They were the ones that used that piece of hardware.

I somehow doubt it'll happen...

The SuperFX chip used in Starfox is pretty beefy so it probably never gets emulated on the GP2X. Also I think it does some floating point math. :( Maybe you could pull it off on an XGP machine if you could offload most of the graphics work to the GPU, but right now too many cycles are being eaten up by that, unfortunately.

I think the original poster wondered if a native GP2X game in the spirit of the mentioned title would be feasable. I'd say it would.

- Alex

I think the SuperFX chip used in StarFox was "only" 10.5MHz, so if some hardcore graphics routine optimizations are done, it might be feasible to emulate it, considering that the playstation emulator has gotten so far. Also, I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like StarFox ran at a full 30fps on a real Super NES, maybe more like 15 or so, so frameskip probably wouldn't bother it much.

But, there was a faster version of the chip used in some games like Doom that might be out of the question. Then again, anyone who likes the SNES version of Doom is certifiably insane.

I believe there was a ... 28 Mhz? version of the chip in some games but I think Starfox used the ~10.5 MHz version. That's doable if there wasn't already too much graphical stress to handle most SNES games with a lot of CPU horsepower to spare, if any. If there were a GPU in the vicinity probably, but unfortunately it probably won't be made to work on existing '2x hardware.

BradN posted on Aug 20 2006 at 06:40 PM said:
But, there was a faster version of the chip used in some games like Doom that might be out of the question. Then again, anyone who likes the SNES version of Doom is certifiably insane.

SNES has Doom?!

*God... it HAS been ported to almost everything!*

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there was also a wolfenstein port. Not enough muscle to do much more than that... even Doom is a stretch performance wise.

Epicenter posted on Aug 20 2006 at 09:10 PM said:
Someone got it running on an iPod, apparently. But those things do have 1 or 2 ARM7TDMIs; those are pretty powerful chips.

Actually I learned about the gp2x through someone on the ipodlinux forum. I've got doom on my ipod. Its pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back