Counter Strike?

PoisonedV said:
Near-kun said:
Anyone here played Team Fortress - or better - Team Fortress 2 ?
Now THAT is an online multi-player shooter I would like to see on the Pandora...
Of course is closed-source, so our way to go would be to create a new game from scratch following the same style.

Team Fortress is not like CounterStrike, since it put less value on your ability to Aim For The Head. TF2 gives value to players that can see strategy behind the shooting action and, as the title suggests, can work as a Team.
There are a lot of classes with unique skills (Medic, Engineer, Sniper, Spy, etc) and various game modes...

So, yeah.... That kind of game can be really addictive... Even more than Counter Strike.
Perhaps someday we will have something like that running on our Pandies, that would be nice =]
team fortress? nope, never heard of it, thanks for the description, can you describe it further in-depth so I can understand it better?

I can give a quick description of the classes and some game modes...

team-fortress-2.jpg

CLASSES
Scout: Can double jump and runs a lot faster compared to other characters. Weapon of choice: Rifle
Soldier: Well balanced. Weapon of choice: Bazooka. Can high-jump using a shot on the floor
Pyro: Weapon: flamethrower. One of my favorites, the pyro can easily force enemies to retreat. (Enemies on fire take constant damage)
Heavy: Weapon: mini-gun. This guys is the Tank of the game. Can take a lot of damage, as well as deliver it. But he move so slowly!!
Demoman: Weapon: handbombs. My favorite class. The demoman can deliver a lot of damage on a wide area. His main con is that his explosions can also give deadly damage to himself
Engineer: Weapon: rifle. The engineer generally work behind the scene. He can build teleports, dispensers (which can provide health and ammo) and sentry guns. All machines are upgradeable, having 3 levels each.
Spy: Weapon: knife (for back-stabs). The spy have a lot of skills, being one of the hardest to handle. He can become invisible, can look like ally to the enemies, can "sap" the machines of the engineers, AND 1-hit-KO anyone with his knife from behind. Has a very low health.
Sniper: Weapon: duh. Well, this guy don't have much health or skills, and require a skilled player. The power of his shots gets gradually stronger, based on the time spend on the zoomed-mode (which leave you kinda defenseless). A 5sec-aimed shot can instakill.
Medic: Weapon: Healing gun Oo. This one is vital for the success of the team =P He can heal allies (or be tricked into healing an enemy spy), and, the most important, he can give invincibility to an ally for 10 secs (charging it takes some time, though)

Oh, have in mind that all characters carry 3 weapons. Primary, secondary, and Melee. AND you can unlock some special weapons and equipments, so you can costumize your character a little bit.

MAIN MODES:
Arena: Well, this is the closest to CounterStrike you can get. Just a killing-for-points withing the time limit
Payload: My favorite. There are 2 teams (up to 16 players per team), Red(defense) and Blue(attack), each one with a base. The objective of the Blue Team is to push a cart loaded with explosives from their base to the Red Base withing the time limit. This mode is really strategic, and take good communication between teammates in order to prevent flankings.
Control Point: Another mode that requires some strategy. There is a number of CPs around the map, and they can be taken by standing on them for a certain ammount of time. The teams must take the enemy CPs as well as defend theirs.
Data(I don't really remember the name of this one) : Again, a 2 teams confrontation. The objective here is to reach the core of the enemy base, get some documents and take them to your base. If the player carrying the documents gets killed, the documents return to the enemy base. Again, teamwork is needed in order to defend your own documents as well as penetrating the enemy defense and securing the bearer of the data.

There are other modes, but those are the ones I play the most. If you find yourself interested, it's pretty cheap... And it is available at Steam, since is a Valve game... oh, Team Fortress 2 is also included in the Orange Box.

ANYWAY -.- It's a great game and it would be very nice to see something close to this reaching Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the Scout and Engineer use scatterguns.
The "data" play mode is just a different style of Capture the Flag, where The Flag is some kind of important military intelligence.
"control point" is territory control, it's like regen capture in Sauerbraten.

Anyway, to make a long story short, TF2 is really well-balanced. No one class dominates the others, and you need a diverse team to win a match.

It would be great to see something similar for the Pandora, but not so similar that it gets taken down for some kind of infringement.

Near-kun said:
PoisonedV said:
team fortress? nope, never heard of it, thanks for the description, can you describe it further in-depth so I can understand it better?

I can give a quick description of the classes and some game modes...
...[epic post]
I think someone is silently lolling right now.

Does anybody know CS:portable? It's a quake 1 mod which runs on the PSP.
I got it working with pickle's glquake for the Wiz and added some features to the quake engine (halflife map support and a texture cache manager).
But the Wiz isn't well suited for this, there is not enough texture memory for playing larger maps.

Maybe it's a starting point for CS on the Pandora?
If anybody is interested :
My modifed quake1 engine (source and Wiz binary)
Video of CS:portable running on the Wiz
Topic on the german gp2x forum

Team Fortress (2) would be a very good Game for the Pandora. If not the Original, maybe a good Open Source clone?
But this time WITH bots please, it's more likeley to play offline with the mobile Device compared with a pc, I think.
I had usable Bots for Team Fortress Classic and making good Waypoints for them kept me busy for Months. Bot's can't match wit hhuman players but for a quick offline match it's always a good Idea. If the Bots as good as UT Bots, it would be fine. :)

Well TeamFortress 2 is clearly out of scope, the Pandora has by far not enough power to run it.
Team Fortress 1 on the other hand could be possible (power wise), but then again there is the x86 problem and it's not open source, so most likely we won't see anything of this on the Pandora.
But why not go ahead and create a homebrew clone - that would be totally awesome... ;) (and something I would consider donating for)

Hmm, now you got me in the mood... gonna have to play some TF2 again.

foxblock out

Back