Counter Strike?

Lucky7Ac

Still Fresh
I understand counter strike is a pretty demanding game and online multiplayer would be near impossible or atleast laggy but counter strike also has bots so you could play alone.

on that note
would it be at all possible to play counter strike on the pandora?

(please also note that i have never used anything Linux based Pandora will be my first time so excuse me for anything newbish XD)

No.
The reason why can be found in the sticky at the top of this forum labeled "Information Index: Read this first"
When something says "read this first", it's usually a good idea to read it first.

Lucky7 said:
I understand counter strike is a pretty demanding game and online multiplayer would be near impossible or atleast laggy but counter strike also has bots so you could play alone.

on that note
would it be at all possible to play counter strike on the pandora?

(please also note that i have never used anything Linux based Pandora will be my first time so excuse me for anything newbish XD)
Windows games do not work on the Pandora. See this thread for more information (the "Will my Windows games/applications run on the Pandora?" part).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Lucky7, the problem is: CS isnt Opensource, and for the dosbox it needs to many recourses, but meybe whe get a homebrewcs for the doomengine or something, but the original cs is at this time inpossible

from what i was told linux could run counterstrike this is why i asked

forgive me for receiving wrong information

matzesu said:
Hello Lucky7, the problem is: CS isnt Opensource, and for the dosbox it needs to many recourses, but meybe whe get a homebrewcs for the doomengine or something, but the original cs is at this time inpossible
Actually CS is based on the Half-Life engine which is based on a proprietary combination of Quake 1 and 2 engines

Lucky7 said:

Linux and Pandora are not synonymous.

You can also run World of Warcraft on Linux.

The problem is that WINE (the program you use to run WOW and CS) only works for x86 machines, and Pandora has an ARM processor. So code needs to be recompiled to work with ARM.

rabidpoobear said:
Lucky7 said:

Linux and Pandora are not synonymous.

You can also run World of Warcraft on Linux.

The problem is that WINE (the program you use to run WOW and CS) only works for x86 machines, and Pandora has an ARM processor. So code needs to be recompiled to work with ARM.

copy, thank you all for the replies and quick answers nevertheless a ew weeks ago i pre-ordered Pandora and cant wait

Lucky7 said:

You can play it with Wine in Linux on x86 CPUs (Wine only works on x86 CPUs). The Pandora is based on a type of processor called ARM. Therefore Wine will not work on the Pandora.

Edit: too slow. :p

Lucky7 said:

There are a lot of things that run Linux that have nothing to do with the PC that you play games on.
Tivo is the biggest example I frequently use.

Can't believe no one's mentioned it yet, but Butterman's been developing Human Condition(formerly TINCS, or TINCS Is Not Counterstrike). True, you won't be playing Counterstrike, but this should be similar enough that you'll be fine. It'll be multiplayer, too!

Confirmed: Counter Pandora will be available for the Pandora.

Tensuke said:
Can't believe no one's mentioned it yet, but Butterman's been developing Human Condition(formerly TINCS, or TINCS Is Not Counterstrike). True, you won't be playing Counterstrike, but this should be similar enough that you'll be fine. It'll be multiplayer, too!

The majority of open projects fail when the few developers lose interest. Human Condition shouldn't be hyped when its so far from completion. Assault Cube is somewhat similar and should work well on pandora.

greendots said:
Tensuke said:

The majority of open projects fail when the few developers lose interest. Human Condition shouldn't be hyped when its so far from completion. Assault Cube is somewhat similar and should work well on pandora.
AssaultCube = awesome :D

Anyone here played Team Fortress - or better - Team Fortress 2 ?
Now THAT is an online multi-player shooter I would like to see on the Pandora...
Of course is closed-source, so our way to go would be to create a new game from scratch following the same style.

Team Fortress is not like CounterStrike, since it put less value on your ability to Aim For The Head. TF2 gives value to players that can see strategy behind the shooting action and, as the title suggests, can work as a Team.
There are a lot of classes with unique skills (Medic, Engineer, Sniper, Spy, etc) and various game modes...

So, yeah.... That kind of game can be really addictive... Even more than Counter Strike.
Perhaps someday we will have something like that running on our Pandies, that would be nice =]

Near-kun said:
Anyone here played Team Fortress - or better - Team Fortress 2 ?
Now THAT is an online multi-player shooter I would like to see on the Pandora...
Of course is closed-source, so our way to go would be to create a new game from scratch following the same style.

Team Fortress is not like CounterStrike, since it put less value on your ability to Aim For The Head. TF2 gives value to players that can see strategy behind the shooting action and, as the title suggests, can work as a Team.
There are a lot of classes with unique skills (Medic, Engineer, Sniper, Spy, etc) and various game modes...

So, yeah.... That kind of game can be really addictive... Even more than Counter Strike.
Perhaps someday we will have something like that running on our Pandies, that would be nice =]
team fortress? nope, never heard of it, thanks for the description, can you describe it further in-depth so I can understand it better?

Tensuke posted on 29 October 2009 - 07:32 AM said:
antidisestablishmentarianism
[/quote]
I have no recall of using such a word, you lie. :p

Back