Head Mounted Pandora Display?

emil10001 said:
I just wanted to mention that there is a widescreen version of the iWear variety being launched soon, for ~$250:
http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_av310w.html

Also accepts S-Video, also does 3D (according to engadget, and some interpretation from their site).

I think that I might eventually pick a pair up. Looks like a lot of fun, hopefully there will be a way to do a real 3d virtualboy immersive experience.

I am looking forward to this AV310W. Comfort and usability features are groundbreaking.
Seems Vuzix has poured alot of R&D into usability while MyVu has focused on style.
Something for everyone. Beautiful!

Last edited by a moderator:
BazaarIdea said:
emil10001 said:
I just wanted to mention that there is a widescreen version of the iWear variety being launched soon, for ~$250:
http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_av310w.html

Also accepts S-Video, also does 3D (according to engadget, and some interpretation from their site).

I think that I might eventually pick a pair up. Looks like a lot of fun, hopefully there will be a way to do a real 3d virtualboy immersive experience.

I am looking forward to this AV310W. Comfort and usability features are groundbreaking.
Seems Vuzix has poured alot of R&D into usability while MyVu has focused on style.
Something for everyone. Beautiful!

That 310W did look cool, but I was hoping it supported Stereoscopic 3D :(. Well a guy can hope can't he? :)

nubie said:
That 310W did look cool, but I was hoping it supported Stereoscopic 3D :(. Well a guy can hope can't he? :)
The 310W will support Stereoscopic 3D just like the Vuzix AV920 that came before it.

From the 310W page:

Technical Specifications:
  • Twin high-resolution widescreen LCD displays
  • Displays 2D and 3D stereoscopic video
  • 16:9 widescreen and standard 4:3 screen formats
  • Equivalent to 52" screen viewed from 9 feet
  • Visor weighs less than 4 ounces

There's a big selection of Stereoscopic 3D DVDs on eBay -- all encoded in the Field Sequential format.
So it's a reasonable assumption that the 310W will support the Field Sequential format, too.

BazaarIdea said:
[*]Twin high-resolution widescreen LCD displays
Thing that I'm afraid of, is that "high-resolution" here means 320x240 :( Just compare with this one - it's written there: "Twin high-resolution 320x240 (230,000 pixels) LCD displays"

I'm wondering though how they acheived widescreen 16:9 with 320x240 ? It's suspicious that they don't say what's the resolution.

I'm wondering if we'll be able to push the field sequential 3d from the pandora. I think that with something like mplayer, we'd be able to watch the 3d movies, i read an thread about it. I'm more wondering if we can get some games to push that out too. I have a feeling that this can be done, somehow.

Too much money for me, besides, I'm looking forward to widescreen display with s-video input. Plus, the vuzix av310 will do 3D for $250. I think that's a good pricepoint for that sort of device. I certainly wouldn't want to pay too much more for something that I probably won't get a ton of use out of.

emil10001 said:
I'm wondering if we'll be able to push the field sequential 3d from the pandora. I think that with something like mplayer, we'd be able to watch the 3d movies, i read an thread about it. I'm more wondering if we can get some games to push that out too. I have a feeling that this can be done, somehow.

The really crucial factor is how the Pandora conveys its 480-line video resolution over S-Video.
To achieve Field Sequential 3D, the Pandora must generate clean scanlines (no color bleeding between even and odd scanlines).
I don't have any FS video to analyze, but it seems to work like this:

Field Sequential 3D (NTSC):
Lines 21-263 = Field 1 (Even lines, Left Eye image)
Lines 283-525 = Field 2 (Odd lines, Right Eye image)

Field Sequential 3D (PAL):
Lines 6-310 = Field 1 (Even lines, Left Eye image)
Lines 318-622 = Field 2 (Odd lines, Right Eye image)

Sample image (752 x 480) created with an Amiga program:

3d1big.gif

Image From:

http://www.megagem.com/amivr.html

Well, it'll be interesting to see. If I can get my hands on a pair of video glasses, and get angstrom up and running on my beagleboard, I'll be able to try it out. Though, I am more excited about the possibility of 3d quake.

On a related note, the ioquake wiki page mentions that you need to have "quad buffers" for opengl to write to for stereographic support. Is that something that we have? I looked around for a bit and didn't find much.

cosurgi said:
BazaarIdea said:
[*]Twin high-resolution widescreen LCD displays
Thing that I'm afraid of, is that "high-resolution" here means 320x240 :( Just compare with this one - it's written there: "Twin high-resolution 320x240 (230,000 pixels) LCD displays"

I'm wondering though how they acheived widescreen 16:9 with 320x240 ? It's suspicious that they don't say what's the resolution.

According to this and this (video review), the AV310 has a resolution of 428X240, and it does do 3D :)

Back