Small Sd Capacities Possible?

grobi

Still Fresh
What happens when a pandora boots without a SD card in any of its slots?

In other words: is it totally up to me what size of SD cards I prefer? I got the point in having a large SD card to hold anything I'd ever want on my pandora at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that no SD card will ever be able to hold all my digital nice-to-haves-with-me-everytime. Just think of some TV series on DVD like 24...

There I would like to plan for several SD cards of different sizes that suite my needs best.

Grobi

The operating system will reside in the 256MB internal memory, so booting it up without an SD card will be fine.

As for card sizes, there's no minimum, anything will work.

Gruso said:
The operating system will reside in the 256MB internal memory, so booting it up without an SD card will be fine.

As for card sizes, there's no minimum, anything will work.
I have an 8Mb SD card somewhere if anyone wants to test. :D Yes, 8Mb, not 8Gb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can remember having a complete game on a 16k plug-in chip for my Spectrum (it plugged into the ZX Interface II and over-rode the speccy's ROM to boot instantly - back in its day, it was absolutely astounding). I actually still have Jetpac, Planetoids and Horace & The Spiders in that format and they only ever made about 10 games using it.

I'm sure other people can beat that and we can end up in virtual "Reductio ad absurdum". The demo scene also springs to mind, given that I've not long come off a webpage which had a full 3D (with textures, level data, etc.) PC shooter in 96K and they had 3D demos in under 4K.

Just think - I waste more disk space in filesystem slack every time I save a file to my PC than I had entire storage available on my first computer.

Oh, and I don't know where my 8Mb SD came from but I think it was a demo one that was put into the very early digital cameras when they first started using cards. Even back then, 8Mb was basically useless and you had to buy a "real" SD card to actually get any use out of the camera. I (used to) use it to check SD card readers worked and I have also used it with manually soldered wires to do "bitbanging" access to solid state storage from basic electronics.

I started with a ZX-81 with 1K of RAM and a tape drive that you had to fiddle with to get the games to load.

I also got up 2 hours before I went to bed and had to walk 10 miles barefoot through broken glass to school.

So there!

Kids today...

(apologies to Monty Python fans everywhere! But that first bit is true)

Hah! you young'uns!

We had to tap the binary code of our games on a slab of slate. And we were glad to have slate too! Soo much easier than granite.

Broken glass... Tsss! We would have loved to have broken glass! Just try molten lava.

Right!

I used to have to get up at 4am, 1 hour before I had gone to bed ( I say bed it twas actually an old sewage pipe) . Manually re-wind all my spectrum tapes with finger. Lick memory buffers clean, with tongue. Then connect spectrum to wall socket using a fork (had no plug) then walk 12 miles to school, bare foot through molten lava GLASS, AND if I twas lucky, odd job eddy would have loaded by the time I got home.

Karel Jansens said:
We had to tap the binary code of our games on a slab of slate. And we were glad to have slate too! Soo much easier than granite.
I actually did have to code my games. We had a second hand coco with no storage and a book of BASIC code for games, and my parents shut off the computer every night so I had to retype them every day. I was like 7 years old... this was pretty much how I learned to type.

this is just cracking me up :D

@tazg
well I guess you had to learn how to transcript from paper to digital.
That must have stunk..

I remember getting books on basic and typing in the games by hand into my VIC20/C64, was pretty fun, but time consuming. Then saving them on the cassette tape (and floppy later on the C64)

tazg said:
We had a second hand coco with no storage and a book of BASIC code for games, and my parents shut off the computer every night so I had to retype them every day. I was like 7 years old... this was pretty much how I learned to type.

I had it's twin - the Dragon 32. It had an 'unbelievable' 32k of memory, and some bizarre resolution/colour modes. It took ages to find a tape recorder that worked with it. Had fun reprogramming some of the basic commands though...

Anyway, back to topic briefly:
Gruso said:
It is anticipated, but not mandatory that the NAND will contain the OS but not the programs or data/media, so although it will boot without an SD it wouldn't do much.

cbox said:
I remember getting books on basic and typing in the games by hand into my VIC20/C64, was pretty fun, but time consuming. Then saving them on the cassette tape (and floppy later on the C64)
I typed them from magazines, then found they wouldn't work because of a typo that may get corrected about three weeks later...

irony : edit:typo...

Well, I still do in fact have TWO complete sets of INPUT, a Marshall Cavendish "collect-a-bit-a-week" thing running to four volumes with each issue containing type-in BASIC, games, machine code etc. sections with identical programs ported to Dragon, Tandy, Spectrum, BBC, Amstrad and Commodore. I've even spoken to the author of one of those programs (Cliffhanger, not the same as the one you'd find in Spectrum etc. archives) online.

They were some of the best "amateur" programming manuals you'll ever find, because when you had absorbed one issue for your platform, it was great to read the code for other platforms that all worked in different ways, and in different languages. And the nostalgia value is priceless.

I'll give it a try:

I had to type code on one of these:
ibmpunch.jpg

To get a stack of these:
IBMPunchCards.jpg

To enter into this:
IBM1402-PunchCardReader.jpg

And get results on this (no video terminal at all):
1403.jpg

Computer graphics consisted of stuff like this:
image008.gif

I recall producing a graphic of a wave almost exactly like this in 1976 on an IBM 300 series at the Hill Center of Rutgers University.
We were in the basement, drinking Tab, and waiting for our paper "jobs" to be manually separated and filed into the "job bin" to get our printouts. Got pretty smelly down there around final exam time.

cbox said:
You had books on basic? luxury. I had to watch for smoke signals of binary on a distant hill top so I would know what giant toggle switch to throw

oh yah well when i was ur age.. hehe.. ^^

Cool pictures of the computers.. im just happy we can store up to 64 gb in our pockets currently in a few months now with the dual slot sd pandora.. looking forward to that for sure.. =]

Back