Small Pandora Video

The floppy disk is OK, however as comical as it may sound - I'm not sure how effective it is for size comparisons anymore, simply because so few people use them anymore. Dinosaurs like me get it, but I'm not sure everyone does these days.

A Nintendo DS (sans logo) is the ideal comparison subject IMO.

Prophet said:
I for one am against this as it may spark the whole 'another DS knockoff' argument among the uninformed. Just go for something simple like a pack of cards or a CD; mayby throw a ruler in for good measure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can i just say that I was impressed with the ad and felt it was more than professional enough!!

No criticisms from me today!

One thing I'm puzzled at in that video is the stray looking white triangle next to SD Slot 1. It can't be a part of the volume control (which would be my first though), as you see the word "Volume" later on, after SD Slot 2... :blink:

Squidge said:
One thing I'm puzzled at in that video is the stray looking white triangle next to SD Slot 1. It can't be a part of the volume control (which would be my first though), as you see the word "Volume" later on, after SD Slot 2... :blink:
Artifact. It's clipping through itself.

Shiny said:
Prophet said:
I for one am against this as it may spark the whole 'another DS knockoff' argument among the uninformed. Just go for something simple like a pack of cards or a CD; mayby throw a ruler in for good measure?

Good point.

Maybe a DVD case? That seemed to do wonders with eeePC size comparison photos. Everytime someone posted an eeePC on top of a DVD case people went "oooh, it's THAT small?! Now I want one!"

b_o_b said:
Isn't it more natural to use hands as comparison?

Hands come in verry different sizes. I also think the DVD case is a good idea since people see them all the time... and maybe a generic cellphone or something. Make it sitting on top of a table with a PC, keyboard, mouse, CDs, a cellphone and a DVD case :p

Tinnus said:
b_o_b said:

Hands come in verry different sizes. I also think the DVD case is a good idea since people see them all the time... and maybe a generic cellphone or something. Make it sitting on top of a table with a PC, keyboard, mouse, CDs, a cellphone and a DVD case :p
And a pack of King size Rizzla. :D

Tinnus said:
b_o_b said:

Hands come in verry different sizes.Yep, even when I was first looking at the GP2X online I thought it was big. Small hand models perhaps? Needless to say, I was very happy to see the actual size when it arrived.

I must agree that the first time I saw Pandora it seemed too big and ugly, but after seeing the comparison with the DS I started thinking that it was nice and cute (more than that: useful).

My only complain is that no picture (btw rendered) shows a place to hide the stylus, although searching the forums shows the answer (nothing is sure, but supposedly behind the volume control).

I still say a soda can (unbranded) would be a universally recognisable size reference...

Here's an idea: If ED can get 3D models of a PSP and a eeePC, he can line them up with some basic arithmetic symbols. PSP + eeePC = Pandora. You'd get two relevant size comparisons and you get to re-enforce the message of gaming + computing.

And before anybody even mentions it, the PSP is a better choice than the DS for several reasons. The PSP is a much more powerful gaming device. It has a more advanced hacking / homebrew scene and a better overall image. Plus, if you use a DS, you run the risk of people thinking "It's a DS with a keypad. So what?"

I have the model and am slowly cleaning it up. Max is super forgiving for things like N-gons, co-planer polygons, 10+ edges meeting at a single point etc. The apps I use require a bit more finesse. Once I get it all cleaned up I'll be able to post a realtime version of it. I'll probably throw in coins, soda cans, etc.

I hope. Time is a tough thing to find sometimes.

Back