Video

whiskthecat

whiskthecat
Website
pigliver.blogsite.org
Can anyone give me a guess on the maximum video bitrate (with audio) the pandora will be able to handle on an 800x480 xvid? I have some videos at 8000kbps and was wondering if they needed to be re-encoded?

Depends on the final product. At the moment, video decoding is done using ARM code, but later on, it might be handled by the DSP, which will obviously allow much higher bitrates.

whiskthecat said:
Can anyone give me a guess on the maximum video bitrate (with audio) the pandora will be able to handle on an 800x480 xvid? I have some videos at 8000kbps and was wondering if they needed to be re-encoded?
:blink: Why 8000kbps? Assuming 16bit colour @ 30fps, you're only getting 50% compression. Standard MPEG should be able to get that, even at c 100%, to say nothing of the more advanced Xvid. Have you tried dynamic bitrates? You should be able to get much better compression without losing any quality.

To answer the question though, at that quality I would expect the SD card to be the bottleneck. Once you add sound and overhead to that video, you'll probably need a minimum class 4. That is a lot of data to shove through such a tiny pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...

Yea theoretically the Pandora should be able to handle just about anything that VLC media player can handle, but as others pointed out - the SDHC speed will probably be the true bottleneck for limiting just how high quality you can play back on the device without choppy playback.

And just for the sake of asking somewhat related questions... what's a more advanced codec? Xvid, Divx, or 3ivx? Or is it one of those "no wrong way to eat a reeces" type scenarios between those three (since I never noticed a big significant difference myself).

Back