Small New Rendering Of The Pandora

MWeston said:
You can kinda see the layout of the back in my little Youtube videos.

The USB host port is still right in the middle. There is a DC jack 30mm from center of host port to center of DC jack on the right side (looking at ports from the back side). The USB OTG port is 30mm from center to center on the left side (from back view). Everything is positioned low enough that the display can fold back the full 180 degrees without hitting cables.
Will there be trouble with the Fingers, when you use L- and R-Trigger while many cables are connected between the two Shoulderbuttons?
Oh, and because of the Earphone-Jack, I had the Idea a while ago to place the jack near the edges of the device so Pandora could fit into the pocket, even without 90° adapter while listening music (if music play with a closed Pandora will be possible at least ;) )

unbenannt1ws3.gif

what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
Will there be trouble with the Fingers, when you use L- and R-Trigger while many cables are connected between the two Shoulderbuttons?
Oh, and because of the Earphone-Jack, I had the Idea a while ago to place the jack near the edges of the device so Pandora could fit into the pocket, even without 90° adapter while listening music (if music play with a closed Pandora will be possible at least ;) )
what do you think?

Just for fun I plugged my PSP power adapter into the back of my Pandora plastic mockup to see how much room there is for shoulder buttons. My left index finger has 34mm before it hits the power plug. Even a DC cable that sticks straight out the back will have a similar outer diameter so there is a lot of finger room. The body of a USB connector is wider, so there is 31mm on the other side for my right index finger.

I am thinking the same thing with the headphone jack, the only constraint is that it cannot be too close to the edge or your palm might press into it while holding the sides which won't feel comfortable and puts extra strain on the connections inside the jack. I really want to be able to use this as a pocket able music player too so we will do the best we can to fit all situations.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Could we have a rendering of the back as well pretty please?
Yes, don't worry, as soon as I find some more time (which is tomorrow night, I think) I'll set up the light properly and make some hi-res renderings from different views :)
(and fix up some other minor stuff such as the color of the analog pads, etc.)

Last edited:
Since you're doing prototypes of the case, could we have an .stl file to print our own mockups on a prototyping machine?

That would be absolutely fantastic because then, instead of trying to imagine it from a 2D rendered image, I wouldn't have to wonder if it's gonna be comfortable in my hands or not: I could literally physically try it.

MWeston said:
I took the liberty of running extra GPIO's to pads and placed them in the corners so that if some hacker wants to figure out a way to strap on more buttons, they have the pins at their disposal. :)

Oh, you beauty! :)

Many's the time that I've thought one handheld or another would be perfect to hack together $much_needed_one_off_gizmo, only to find that none of the GPIO lines come out from underneath the BGA.

MWeston said:
I am thinking the same thing with the headphone jack, the only constraint is that it cannot be too close to the edge or your palm might press into it while holding the sides which won't feel comfortable and puts extra strain on the connections inside the jack. I really want to be able to use this as a pocket able music player too so we will do the best we can to fit all situations.
While making my own Art Deco Pandora Design, I thought the same to. ;) I think a headphone jack 1.5cm from center of the hole (or 1cm from outside of the jack) to the edge should be enough to never touch it with your palm.

One guy from this Forum here had the Idea to put the Jack at the side of the Pandora...the side of the upper LCD Lid. So you could use the Device I-Pod like when closed and when opened, you never touch the side of the upper Lid.

Lobo said:
Since you're doing prototypes of the case, could we have an .stl file to print our own mockups on a prototyping machine?

That would be absolutely fantastic because then, instead of trying to imagine it from a 2D rendered image, I wouldn't have to wonder if it's gonna be comfortable in my hands or not: I could literally physically try it.
You have your own Rapid Prototyper? :blink: Cool. Can I have one to? :lol: So everyone could make their own Action Figures i.e. Warhammer and sell them for a fortune each. ^^

javaJake said:
Pandora pwns because of people like you guys, MWeston! You and your group keep up the awesome work! If you are wildly successful, you sure deserve it! :D
100% agree. The attention to detail and the willingness to listen to the feedback (at least the more logical of the feedback) is what is going to make this a great machine.

Whether or not its 'wildly successful' will depend on many factors despite the design itself, but it certainly deserves success. I've been mostly happy to sit on the sidelines and listen / watch the design process as people far more knowledgeable have put in their 2p worth.

But I'll certainly be pre-ordering to do my bit.

fusion_power said:
You have your own Rapid Prototyper? :blink: Cool. Can I have one to? :lol: So everyone could make their own Action Figures i.e. Warhammer and sell them for a fortune each. ^^
Well it's not actually mine, but in my company I have access to 4 of them. If you want one, I could sell you one for say €23000? :)

Lobo said:
fusion_power said:
Well it's not actually mine, but in my company I have access to 4 of them. If you want one, I could sell you one for say €23000? :)

Hm, I have no money but a BLENDER-made Pandora Design in Art Deco. ;) Blender can export to .stl so It could be fun to see, if my design would work in "real". (I know the hinge of the Device wouldn't :lol: )

Back