Smach Z will pose some serious competition to the Pyra

GoldenSun3DS

Smach Z is everything the Pyra wants to be, is cheaper* and it has greater specs and runs desktop OS, not ARM OSs.

*base model compared to estimate of Pyra's price, and the Pro model with more RAM and HD space is about on par with Pyra's estimated price.

Plus, Smach Z has a confirmed release date (Oct 2016 for pre orders and December 2016 retail release) and Pyra keeps dragging its feet so that by the time it releases, it's far outdated.

Pyra is just going to be another Pandora: 3+ years in development and releasing with 3+ year old tech.

Just compare Pyra to Smach Z, and you know that the Pyra is toast:

https://boards.openpandora.org/pyramain/pyraspecs.html

https://kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-first-handheld-steam-machine/

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't found any keyboard. Is it hide under a lid ?

Its in an total different market. So no deal for the Pyra-guys

This thing is dead before it even comes out. Also, probably would melt in your hands given that it's running an AMD chip.

ROTFL !!!

It could have been more funny if you added a spoiler tag with a trollface
I meant that total seriously ;-)

Aaaand sorry, Tapatalk is not good for spoilering and adding trollsymbols.

But my ironic seems understandable how I see.

It is true... The Pyra development team does not have "clickarm".

The AMD chip will guarantee to keep my Kebab warm and crispy. You throw it in the snow and it will melt the snow. The Pyra however, will not clear my snowed path to my car.

And it has 64GB of internal memory... The Pyra will have only 2GB RAM... not enough to load all the textures current-day 3D games require.

1080p resolution... now THAT is resolution... not the lowsy 720p the Pyra will have.

At 350 euro versus 700... the Pyra is twice the price...

Magic Z-Pads.... Boom! 'nough said.

However, now with the addition of the "Vibration motor", as well as the clamp design, the Pyra can offer a viable fleshlight application. This, the Smach-Z will never be able to do.

It claims more than 5 hours of battery life. Well, I have my Pandora a few years, and the battery is still ok, I think it is about 80% of initial capacity... so it has many years of life before you need to replace the battery.

"Just compare Pyra to Smach Z, and you know that the Pyra is toast"

No, no... it's the other way around... The Smach is HOT... the Pyra will be lukewarm... and only because you are charging it.

However, the big drawback of the Pyra at the moment is this:

User after 11 hours of gaming on a Pyra without rotator chip.

pyrawithoutrotatorchip.jpeg

pfff the Smach Z is only for gaming... nice thingy though for those who want nothing more than gaming. The only thing I use for that purpose is my PC..

Don't care about mobile gaming. I'm getting a Pyra for different reasons. Maybe a fun game here and there... I'll see..

your thread is LAME -.-

I hate to break it to you but by the looks of things Smach Z is also going to be using 3 year old tech. Any AMD G-series chip they can use that will fit their thermal budget will be at best quad-core 1.2GHz (very possibly only 4x1GHz or 2x1.2GHz) without turbo boost and a bunch of peripherals that will be completely inaccessible to the system and therefore useless. It's not a chip that's well suited to this application and it's a mystery why they're not using something from AMD's Mullins platform.

The device, under its original "Steam Boy" name was also first announced in 2013. So it too will have been 3+ years in development. And given where they still seem to be at in development and the track record of other KS's you're naive to think the October 2016 date is a sure thing. That is, if they make their KS goal in the first place.

Pfft, Smach Z... I get a PC with the same Specs for half the price!

(If you compare a pure gaming handheld with a mini computer, I can also compare a pure gaming handheld with a maxi computer)

But in fact I have some hopes in the Smach Z: That the "How do I emulate Windows afap on the Pyra?" guys leave the community, get a Smach Z and shut the fuck up, while the remaining people use the Pyra Linux for serious work while playing some good old game from time to time. ;)

Ah, it's time again for the devices that are better than ours even though they're completely different ones (see the missing keyboard...)?

Nice :)

The closest competitor to the Pandora was the Panasonic Jungle... and I'm still waiting for that release :)

Actually looks great but will it get fully funded and if so are they organised enough to deliver on time/at all?

Wonder how far they really are with everything - ready for mass production? Working (fully) prototype?

The Linx gaming tablet at £150 from the high street does however look even more interesting albeit it's quite big but available now.

Smach Z may be nice (if ever released) but it's basicly only a Steam streaming device, not much else. I'm sure, one day even the Pyra could stream Games from the PC. And ontop of that, Pyra can do much more.

Haaaa... funny guy :)

I'm actually planning on getting the Smach, and the Pyra.

But yeah, completely different tools for different jobs here, and the Smach looks like it will be a little on the large/long side to be truly [what I personally] would consider an everyday portable.

Also, I reckon the Pyra battery life will be a lot more than the Smach.

Still look forward to it, but it certainly isn't going to beat the Pyra, this thing is strictly gaming, people will be doing a lot more than that with their Pyra

It is true... The Pyra development team does not have "clickarm".

The AMD chip will guarantee to keep my Kebab warm and crispy. You throw it in the snow and it will melt the snow. The Pyra however, will not clear my snowed path to my car.

And it has 64GB of internal memory... The Pyra will have only 2GB RAM... not enough to load all the textures current-day 3D games require.

1080p resolution... now THAT is resolution... not the lowsy 720p the Pyra will have.

At 350 euro versus 700... the Pyra is twice the price...

Magic Z-Pads.... Boom! 'nough said.

However, now with the addition of the "Vibration motor", as well as the clamp design, the Pyra can offer a viable fleshlight application. This, the Smach-Z will never be able to do.

It claims more than 5 hours of battery life. Well, I have my Pandora a few years, and the battery is still ok, I think it is about 80% of initial capacity... so it has many years of life before you need to replace the battery.

"Just compare Pyra to Smach Z, and you know that the Pyra is toast"

No, no... it's the other way around... The Smach is HOT... the Pyra will be lukewarm... and only because you are charging it.

However, the big drawback of the Pyra at the moment is this:

User after 11 hours of gaming on a Pyra without rotator chip.

View attachment 12741

So... I'm not going to argue the AMD chip is or would be hot, because I'm sure it will be. Basically every processor nowadays seems to make handhelds too hot to hold under enough load.

... but the claims you make for the pyra... You seem to have some info on the thermals of the pyra. One that seems to keep it below freezing or unable to plow your drive apparently....

is this just optimistic thinking, or has there been any measurements on the pyra so far? Because as I remember the Pandora sometimes got hot with overclock, to the point of being uncomfortable to hold at times.

I am still waiting with baited breath on actual thermal testing results on the pyra, and from last I heard it will be coming soon but the info from the env board is that it could almost cook an egg. I do feel under insignificant load it could be negligible but when things get cooking you might just be able to add another feature to the pyra ;)

edit: also I have concerns on battery life, similar a15 devices with similar 6000+mah battery show less lifespan than the Pandora. I would very much like to see the pyra's results under different %'s of load

I'm not sure if any of these new steam boxes will be successful. I'm just not sure what market segment they are filling exactly?

Could be a Trip Hawkings 3do situation all over again.

I'm curious but I think most of these Boxes will bomb badly.

Smach Z seems ok if you want steam on the go but are the internals upgradeable? How many current games will it be able to run?

Yes, I'm a bit lazy about reading the kickstarter information.

Back