Release SLUDGE Adventure Engine now with GLES2 support

Scaling down the textures is probably not the best idea, because some games have very large textures. If there is a scene that doesn't fit on the screen, the background texture can easily be over 2000 pixels wide and only a part of that is visible.

I think a better solution would be to have a small library wrapping around OpenGLs texture handling functions and taking care of splitting large images into small enough chunks (creating multiple GL textures) and putting them back together when drawing.

Such a thing could also take care of creating only textures with sizes in powers of two. It could be used for any game port. I wonder if that already exists, I didn't find anything. Or if at least someone did something similar in a game. If not, is someone interested in creating it? I don't know when I'll come around to do it myself.

I have done similar things... at least I auto resize images to nearest PoT before creating an OpenGL Texture. Not created a lib to split textures automatically yet though!

Cogl (simple GL/GLES abstraction layer created for Clutter) does some automatic slicing of textures, that could do the trick as well.

Cool, Cogl looks like exactly what I was looking for! I'm so glad if I don't have to care for a half-baked solution myself. :D

(bump)

Any progress on this? I just read this thread and it looks like you're close to getting everything working, but somehow this thread ended at this point...

Haven't tested since my last post. And won't be able to test more, as my Pandora has been stolen in the train :/

Ahhh man, that is very bad news, I feel for you. I am not a programmer, but if there is anything I can do to help test stuff on my pandora let me know.

Cheers

Chris

PS Just out of interest, was it snatched or did you leave it unattended?

I compiled the 2.2 version yesterday and tried a game, which had a problem with some libiconv stuff. I need to test a bit more, but don't have too much time.

I still think Cogl could be helpful, but it doesn't support multitexturing of sliced textures and it would require some work to bypass that problem. I didn't proceed any further.

It might be also interesting for someone here to port AGS to the Pandora. There are much more games available for AGS than for SLUDGE and it was recently open sourced and works on Linux, Android, iOS and PSP now.

https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags

I think the Pandora may be fast enough to run the low-res games. The downside is that the AGS Editor doesn't work on Linux yet, but that's also just waiting for someone to make it happen.

Oh, good, then this thread is spared from too much off-topic. :)

Back