Skyrim gear leveling?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Quick question for Skyrim nerds :)

When Dragonborn releases for PC (begin of Jan I guess..) I'll probably dive back into things (Dragonborn + Dawnguard, and random wandering of course).. I paid my 80 hour penance when Skyrim first came out, but not touched it in the year since, so I've forgotten something I keep meaning to look into ..

For my main saves (I never bother with the main questline in Elder Scrolls games ;) I just ransacked through Mage Guild and Dark Brotherhood and various fun bits, early on; ie: my main guy picked up the Awesome Mage Gear (completion of that questline) and the mage house right early on; seemed like nearly the best armor in the game for mages, at the time. (I ignored crafting, had no time for it.)

Given the whole auto-leveling nature of the game however .. is stuff likek the DB gear or Mage gear, which is 'best in game' when you acquire it.. dies it quickly lose value after a few levels, then? Or does that stuff, the end of questline stuff, stay 'tops'?

I just assume that if, like me, you did the mage line really low level, then you've basicly shot some of the best gear in the face; it would perhaps be preferable to not do the last few quests or whatever, do some of the main or other questlines, then come back and finalize and get the tops gear, at a poitn when it stays relevent?

Any thoughts?

jeff

It's been a while for Skyrim for me too, so my recollection won't be completely up to date. However, even end of quest line stuff is usable in crafting, allowing to improve it.

This meaning, even if you did mess things up (which I don't think you have), if you do a bit of crafting you'll get to the point where you can make even the unique stuff better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vague memories but .. I'm thinking the Archmage Robes or whatever had some relative properties,m like +100% Mana Regen or something; that sort of property would remain useful forever.

But I don't recall how armor worked in general .. if theres an armor rating or whatever, so that it blocks X% damage from physical blows, etc; I'm betting that if you inheret such gear early on, it has 'low level' and blocks less damage than it otherwise might? or perhaps the block level is purely a function of its makeup, which doesn't change.

I dunno. I shoudl just pick up the guy, craft new badass armor, disenchant the Mage gear, and fix it all up that way.. but when I was playing, I'd just had babies and wasn't really playing for quality, just wanted to play in those brief scraps of time at 4am ... no crafting or components in the inventory etc :)

Daaamn, I'm resisting firing it up now, must wait for next expansion so I don't burn out (again) before it lands ... I'll probabyl end up making a new character again :eek:

I'm pretty confident that the gear you inherited wasn't level based, and pretty much everything that mattered was percentage based. And armour as a whole gave a fixed rating which is a straight percentage decrease, so again that scales too. So I think you should be fine.

Back