skype on pandora

Everyone I talk to uses gtalk, ventrilo, or teamspeak. I've never had any problems with them. No crashes, no quality issues, no problems at all, they just work.

They aren't built for Pandora but that's probably because no one has asked for them, I think.
All three of those programs are proprietary.

Then that rules them out, basically.

I checked the wikipedia page and here are the free software alternatives :

- Blink

- Ekiga

- Empathy

- Jitsi

- Linphone

- Mumble

- Qutecom

- SFLphone

- Twinkle

- Yate

If anyone know which one of them work best, and could suggest the best candidates for porting, that would be great.

Empathy, Jitsi, Yate seem to support XMPP (same protocol as gtalk) which would make them more interesting, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mumble seem to do the job quite well. I know of at least one bigger german podcast, where the crew switched over to it (from skype) and they appear to be happy with it (or at least they don't complain)

All three of those programs are proprietary.
Then that rules them out, basically.
Gtalk is xmpp (there's a Pidgin plugin) and whether Ventrilo and Teamspeak are proprietary or not they have open source compatible programs in the form of Mangler and Mumble.

Check the Pidgin thread, the gtalk plugin has many dependencies for which the libraries are too old on the Pandora, which would make the port of such a plugin very difficult. So, not feasible currently...

I will check mumble.

Ah, I thought you were suggesting those programs themselves, not just programs compatible with them. ;)
Yeah, I can see that. Sorry, in my head the open source alternatives are usually equivalent to their originals. I make no excuse for my weird thoughts :p

I tried Mumble this morning very quickly, but it is not really made for peer to peer communication - rather chatrooms - i.e. not very practical for the intended use...

It's not even done by chatrooms, It works by connecting to a host server that someone is hosting.. some people make them public a most people don't.

Nope SkypeKit is not Skype... and you still can't run the actual Skype on Raspberry Pi.
Who cares if it's not actually "Skype"? If it let's you call and text your Skype contacts, that's great.
I might throw $5 at Microsoft to have a play with this (unless somebody else does first)

Edit: Boo, it says "The Skype Developer program is not accepting new registrations" :(

This is new, by which I mean a little over a year old and I've never heard of it. Skype's old "SDK" was hooks into an existing Skype application: you could make your own interface using it but it still needed to run on x86 where actual Skype was running, it still wouldn't work on ARM.

And it looks like Microsoft has dropped support for it, so hopefully they don't change the protocol at all or any applications written using it will stop working.

You know, didn't even look at the date on the video. Shame. :(

It's really too bad Skype, as an interface, is so popular. If someone were to write an application that looks and feels like Skype but uses open standards I bet they'd have a winner. A non-monetary winner, which is probably why no one has invested the time and money required to do it, but a winner all the same.

It's really too bad Skype, as an interface, is so popular. If someone were to write an application that looks and feels like Skype but uses open standards I bet they'd have a winner. A non-monetary winner, which is probably why no one has invested the time and money required to do it, but a winner all the same.
Jitsi already exists.

Back