skype on pandora

Yes. I must admit I would want to know the MAC address of an N810, I'd like to do some networking tests! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Of something completely unrelated to Skype, of course *whistles innocently*

Last edited by a moderator:
So I would need a Nokia N810 to be able to get the pnd legally?
Yes, but lets face things the way they are... noone will do that, they will just google for Nokia N810 MAC Address, not like I did... *rolls eyes* ( ;P ) and will insert that MAC into the Nokia Developer Website to fetch a Firmware Dump.

But that won't be one of my problems then... hehe...

Sidenote here again, I fixed the GStreamer plugin problems too, a little start script makes sure to setup the Environment for launching Skype... :)

Now Gnome Plugins tear me up though, hope I can fix those using some environment variables aswell.

Not entirely sure we can say that, lads...
Actually we can... it's going to be distributed as a script. Whether the user makes use of it or not isn't really your bread,

afterall the modification of data doesn't happen until the user executes the script, on his own free will.

Whether its legal or not is something the user itself has to check with the local laws there.

Edit: Farsight plugins now dealing me trouble... still have to figure out how to relink those.

I suspect it might be illegal to pretend to be somebody else.. as you're doing if you use the mac address of a unit owned by somebody else who bought it and thus got rights from Nokia to download from their server. So I would be wary.

All of that wouldn't have been a problem if Skype had just provided the Nokia version as a download on their site as they do for x86, but I suspect that Nokia paid them to get that Skype version made for them. But I have no evidence one way or another.

Skype is for free download, its available on the public Nokia repository for download.

The real problem lies with getting the right moduleversion of Gtk, etc.

The modules used by Skype are opensource material, in theory one could go treasurehunting in the online repos and compile matching version shared libraries, however its easier to just take them from a Maemo OS dump.

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk

Still the same status as before, Farsight (New version called "Farstream") Plugins dealing trouble, trying to figure out how to relink those... LD_LIBRARY_PATH can't relink this, and I don't see a binding to a specific environment variable either...

Going as far as doing a Maemo Chroot, just for getting Skype running might be a bit overkill... that's why I'm still researching how I could relink those using nothing but a starter script...

Almost sorry to bump, BUT any progress? My phone could use replacing and I'm hoping to use my pandy as a phone. Keep up the good work!

Is there a chance we will ever see Skype on the Pandora?

Bang-on accurate! Outlook is an 'orrible piece of software.

[/derail]

I've resigned myself to the fact it will never happen.

That and I use Skype via my phone which has a data plan so can be used when Wi-Fi isn't an option.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

When you got the sources hiden somewhere to do a proper port without investing the amount of money that may have been involved in a n900 port, please tell us.

There might be strict contracts with nokia to make this work.

Back