Outlook Express. Aaaargh!

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Here's the story. Being the kindly son I am, I set up a Outlook express thing for my dad who uses orange broadband email. However, when he opens up outlook express it seems to export his emails from the orange broadband and onto his computer. Unfortunately, since he opens his emails at work, this is impractical. He also has some important emails he needs to be opening at work, and now they are stored exclusively on outlook on his pc. Uh-oh!

So, i was wondering a couple of things.

Can I get the emails back onto his orange email account?
Can I put the emails onto a disk he can take with him?
Can I make it so the emails go onto outlook AND the orange email account?

Thanks,

Me.

why... just why...
Outlook has to be the most crappy ms product right after msbob, so why the hell do you want to use that insecure buggy peace of shitt?
There are so many better alternatives...

I was gonna use thunderbird. Why, oh why didn't i use thunderbird?

Nova posted on Oct 27 2006 at 12:32 PM said:
Here's the story. Being the kindly son I am, I set up a Outlook express thing for my dad who uses orange broadband email. However, when he opens up outlook express it seems to export his emails from the orange broadband and onto his computer. Unfortunately, since he opens his emails at work, this is impractical. He also has some important emails he needs to be opening at work, and now they are stored exclusively on outlook on his pc. Uh-oh!

Thanks,

Me.
Okay, you can export emails from outlook to a CSV or PST file, which your dad can then take to work and import them back into his mail client. I bet he's either using MS Outlook or Outlook Express, if so, it's easy. use the Import/Export option from the file drop down menu. By the way, if you need to know where Outlook Express keeps it's data files, they are:
C:\Documents and SettingsUSER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities{CODE}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
In the above path, replace USER with the Windows logged on User ID, and {CODE} is a random string of characters which is different on all systems. It usually looks like {DCF4953A-6D24-4E45-BE6F-E86EB3EFA623} . If you are navigating to the folder via My Computer, then you will need to show all files and folders as the Local Settings folder is usually hidden.

Is your Dad's work Email able to connect using imap? if so, then it's better to setup his mail at work and at home to use imap instead of pop, this means the mail will remain on the server and it doesn't matter where he looks at it, it will always be the same from both locations.

Regarding Vimacs saying Outlook Express isn't the better of the email clients, he's probably correct. I don't even like MS Outlook either, but I have to use it at work because we're on Exchange. If I was you I would use Thunderbird instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be an option under POP3 settings to leave email on the server (no sure... been a LOOOONG time since I used Windows or Outlook, but I know it used to be there)

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 27 2006 at 01:11 PM said:
Nova posted on Oct 27 2006 at 12:32 PM said:

Thanks,

Me.
Okay, you can export emails from outlook to a CSV or PST file, which your dad can then take to work and import them back into his mail client. I bet he's either using MS Outlook or Outlook Express, if so, it's easy. use the Import/Export option from the file drop down menu. By the way, if you need to know where Outlook Express keeps it's data files, they are:
C:\Documents and SettingsUSER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities{CODE}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
In the above path, replace USER with the Windows logged on User ID, and {CODE} is a random string of characters which is different on all systems. It usually looks like {DCF4953A-6D24-4E45-BE6F-E86EB3EFA623} . If you are navigating to the folder via My Computer, then you will need to show all files and folders as the Local Settings folder is usually hidden.

Is your Dad's work Email able to connect using imap? if so, then it's better to setup his mail at work and at home to use imap instead of pop, this means the mail will remain on the server and it doesn't matter where he looks at it, it will always be the same from both locations.

Regarding Vimacs saying Outlook Express isn't the better of the email clients, he's probably correct. I don't even like MS Outlook either, but I have to use it at work because we're on Exchange. If I was you I would use Thunderbird instead.

Exporting is fine, but what I mean is that he uses web-based email...

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 27 2006 at 06:11 AM said:
You're probably restricted to using Windows at work, but if not, I believe Evolution has support for Exchange. I'm probably going to have to use it if/when the company I work for starts getting me to work from home.

On the topic of E-Mail, Does anyone know if there are tighter spam blocking settings in gmail? Also, how do I block email addresses? (I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask)

Nova posted on Oct 27 2006 at 04:31 PM said:
Forward the emails back to him, and don't pick them up via pop again!

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 27 2006 at 05:30 PM said:
I've already told him to do that, he does not listen!

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 27 2006 at 05:30 PM said:

Righto

I'm on 13/1416 atm

This could take a while...

To make Outlook Express leave a copy of his emails on the server first go onto the email accounts properties in OE (Tools > Accounts > Properties). Then go onto the Advanced tab and tick the box labelled "Leave a copy of messages on server". That's all :p
You might also want to make it delete the emails after they have been on there for a couple of days, so that his mail account doesn't become full.

Javacat posted on Oct 27 2006 at 06:27 PM said:
To make Outlook Express leave a copy of his emails on the server first go onto the email accounts properties in OE (Tools > Accounts > Properties). Then go onto the Advanced tab and tick the box labelled "Leave a copy of messages on server". That's all :p
You might also want to make it delete the emails after they have been on there for a couple of days, so that his mail account doesn't become full.

Cheers big ears.

But seriously... are people still using MS Outlook Express? I thought it had been abandoned like, before the turn of the millennium as it's the most horrible, buggy email reader out there.

Back