Skin Images For Laser

Here's the skin I mentioned, Nagelfar:

lazer_skin_saehn.png

Here's how it would look. I used your SDL app's screenshot as a guide to create my own little mockup. I assumed 15x15 tiling with no 1-pixel space in between, since those were your original requirements (I noticed the app was using a 1-pixel spacing, but I think you stated that you were going to fix that).

lazer_skin_mockup_saehn.png

I tried Eolair's background, and it looked pretty good. There was a problem with it, however... it would affect gameplay. If you have star tiles on a puzzle, they are usually an essential part of it. For them to get lost in the background would hinder gameplay, IMO. The effect was nice, but ultimately conflicting. So, I stuck to basic black.

The laser is a 3-pixel orange-yellow-orange beam. You probably can do that fairly easily in code, if you feel like it. I think it looks pretty cool. :D

Hope you like it. ;)
You did an awesome job, I'll definitly include that one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, so I included it, looks good. At some places it is off by one pixel, I think (hope) I can correct that myself :)

ajewp6364m6yfxjb3.png

ok, so I included it, looks good. At some places it is off by one pixel, I think (hope) I can correct that myself :)

Cool :). I just did a quick count of the tile width-count in your SDL app, and I see that the puzzle area is twenty tiles wide. So, maybe we should have been using 16x16 pixel tiles all along:

GP2X pixel width: 320
15-pixel-wide tile * 20 = 300
16-pixel-wide tile * 20 = 320

16x16 pixel tiles would fit perfectly into the GP2X's available resolution. I'd be willing to reconfigure my tiles to a 16x16 format, if that will work for you.

The other solution would be to "push together" the existing tiles so that they are centered in the the middle of the screen, resulting in a 10-pixel border on the left and right (and of course something similar on the top and bottom).

Otherwise, we're going to have seams between the tiles. Yuck. :p Just let me know, I'd be happy to resize them tonight.

Cool :). I just did a quick count of the tile width-count in your SDL app, and I see that the puzzle area is twenty tiles wide. So, maybe we should have been using 16x16 pixel tiles all along:

GP2X pixel width: 320
15-pixel-wide tile * 20 = 300
16-pixel-wide tile * 20 = 320

16x16 pixel tiles would fit perfectly into the GP2X's available resolution. I'd be willing to reconfigure my tiles to a 16x16 format, if that will work for you.

The other solution would be to "push together" the existing tiles so that they are centered in the the middle of the screen, resulting in a 10-pixel border on the left and right (and of course something similar on the top and bottom).

Otherwise, we're going to have seams between the tiles. Yuck. :p Just let me know, I'd be happy to resize them tonight.
I'll try it today, I think I'll go wit 15px tiles and a border, I'll let you know.

I'll try it today, I think I'll go wit 15px tiles and a border, I'll let you know.

I think you're right, this is probably the best way to go. Not only because it requires no modifications of the tiles, but also because the 10-pixel border will provide a little "visual cushion". I can't wait to see it.

I tested the full-sized game last night, and noticed that the German word at the top left was "gesamt". I looked it up online, and the closest interpretations I could find were surplus, excess, or gross. I think what's meant in the game is "remaining", as in pieces remaining. I'll see if I can come up with an icon for that.

I think you're right, this is probably the best way to go. Not only because it requires no modifications of the tiles, but also because the 10-pixel border will provide a little "visual cushion". I can't wait to see it.

I tested the full-sized game last night, and noticed that the German word at the top left was "gesamt". I looked it up online, and the closest interpretations I could find were surplus, excess, or gross. I think what's meant in the game is "remaining", as in pieces remaining. I'll see if I can come up with an icon for that.
Acutally it means "total" like the total Number of pieces you are allowed to use. I haven't made it skinable yet but wouldn't be a problem if you want to provide a icon for it.

Acutally it means "total" like the total Number of pieces you are allowed to use. I haven't made it skinable yet but wouldn't be a problem if you want to provide a icon for it.
So, I optimized the game for 15px skins looks good, I'm really pleased, will probably post a Video sooner or later on my youtube account :)

So, I optimized the game for 15px skins looks good, I'm really pleased, will probably post a Video sooner or later on my youtube account :)

Can't wait to see it! Here's that "total" icon I wanted to make. It's the Greek letter sigma, which is the mathematical symbol for sum or total. Hope you like it:

total-sigma.png

Here's what the game would look like with it:

screenshot-with-total-sigma.png

Can't wait to see it! Here's that "total" icon I wanted to make. It's the Greek letter sigma, which is the mathematical symbol for sum or total.
So, there you go, Laser2x running on the GP2x demonstrating three skins :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzkYwLaa4OU

Eolair and saehn, it is payday! :)

Awesome. Congratulations to you on winning with your code, I'm happy to have been part of the project! B)

It would be very cool if you would send me that five euros as a physical bill or coins, just so I could have it as a bit of nostalgia. I'm something of a coin collector. But if you don't want to bother with that, paypal is fine. :)

Back