Skin Images For Laser

Nagelfar

As my thread about a title screen (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=33186) was so well received I will take this a step further.
The standard skin for laser is quite, well, lets call it oldfashioned:
aj1epsda9na0o2x62.jpg

Now, for the GP2x rewrite I would love to offer a skinnable enviroment so if anybody wants to give it a shot, the only requirements:
*) has to look good with 15x15px tiles
aj1eq54nhzdz0n9m2.jpg

*) you have to give me permission to enter the contest with it and distribute it with the game afterwards (as beerware, meaning I ask people for 1 Euro per download for beer...)

As an incentive I offer 5 euros per skin that gets included in the contest entry if I win any money in the contest.

To give you an idea about what the tiles do:
1) blank
2) the laser, can point left, right, up, down
3) the target, can point left, right, up, down
3) wall, stops laser
4) crossing, permits lasers to cross without stopping each other
5-8) mirrors
9) delay, delays the laser for some time, then disappears
10) splitter, splits a vertical beam horizontally and vice versa
11) starfields, don't affect lasers but you can't put other blocks there
12-15) not used

Last edited by a moderator:
I've almost completed a custom skin for this game. If you can wait until this weekend, I'll be able to get it done. It's 95% complete, just needs some finishing touches. I'm away from home, so I don't know if I'll be able to work on it until I get back. If I complete it early, I'll post it here.

Laser2XSkin.jpg

It's not quite finished and it looks like an MS Paint job (Even though I used GIMP), but...

To be honest, this doesn't look any different from the standard skin?

I've almost completed a custom skin for this game. If you can wait until this weekend, I'll be able to get it done. It's 95% complete, just needs some finishing touches. I'm away from home, so I don't know if I'll be able to work on it until I get back. If I complete it early, I'll post it here.
Yeah, no problem.

Had a couple of hours to spare so I played around with a space theme skin. Do you think it would work?

06a245824a.png

Had a couple of hours to spare so I played around with a space theme skin. Do you think it would work?

06a245824a.png
I like the general idea of this a lot, unfortunatly the pics you are using seem to be a little to detailed for this size, I'll try it on the gp2x, though :)

06a245824a.png
I like the general idea of this a lot, unfortunatly the pics you are using seem to be a little to detailed for this size, I'll try it on the gp2x, though :)

Yeah....I just noticed it wouldnt work using satellite dishes instead of mirrors either...I don't know what I was thinking <_<

Edit: I tried to move the dishes a bit. Maybe it will work better. It's difficult to see exactly where the laser enters and exits.
1f7b234e5e.png

06a245824a.png

Yeah....I just noticed it wouldnt work using satellite dishes instead of mirrors either...I don't know what I was thinking <_<

Edit: I tried to move the dishes a bit. Maybe it will work better. It's difficult to see exactly where the laser enters and exits.
1f7b234e5e.png
I just gave this a quick try, looks freaking rad and fits your menu screen perfectly, well done! Some things are 1 or 2 pixels off but I think I can correct them myself, otherwise I'll let you know, here is 2 screenshots of your skin in Action!
aj8vfh1t9ejub8mmn.png

aj8vh7pvpt8wrkp73.png

Nice. Doesn tlook that bad. It's like a completely different game now :D
Yap but I like the style :) Found a guy to make some menu music, fits the overall feeling pretty well :) I'm thinking about including the possibility to change the lasercolor depending on the screen, what do you think, blue laser for your skin?

Laser2XSkin.jpg

It's not quite finished and it looks like an MS Paint job (Even though I used GIMP), but...

To be honest, this doesn't look any different from the standard skin?

Yeah, no problem.

I said it was unfinished... besides, there are differences. (slimmer laser origin, mirror look like mirrors and not triangular blocks etc). Compare them, man! :p

Yap but I like the style :) Found a guy to make some menu music, fits the overall feeling pretty well :) I'm thinking about including the possibility to change the lasercolor depending on the screen, what do you think, blue laser for your skin?

Blue laser sounds cool :)
Btw, have you thought about putting in backgrounds?
I think it would look pretty cool if you kept it subtle:
b3d7c98ba2.png

Blue laser sounds cool :)
Btw, have you thought about putting in backgrounds?
I think it would look pretty cool if you kept it subtle:
b3d7c98ba2.png
THIS is a really good idea, if you post the picture I'll include it :)

Here's the skin I mentioned, Nagelfar:

lazer_skin_saehn.png

Here's how it would look. I used your SDL app's screenshot as a guide to create my own little mockup. I assumed 15x15 tiling with no 1-pixel space in between, since those were your original requirements (I noticed the app was using a 1-pixel spacing, but I think you stated that you were going to fix that).

lazer_skin_mockup_saehn.png

I tried Eolair's background, and it looked pretty good. There was a problem with it, however... it would affect gameplay. If you have star tiles on a puzzle, they are usually an essential part of it. For them to get lost in the background would hinder gameplay, IMO. The effect was nice, but ultimately conflicting. So, I stuck to basic black.

The laser is a 3-pixel orange-yellow-orange beam. You probably can do that fairly easily in code, if you feel like it. I think it looks pretty cool. :D

Hope you like it. ;)

Here's the skin I mentioned, Nagelfar:

lazer_skin_saehn.png

Here's how it would look. I used your SDL app's screenshot as a guide to create my own little mockup. I assumed 15x15 tiling with no 1-pixel space in between, since those were your original requirements (I noticed the app was using a 1-pixel spacing, but I think you stated that you were going to fix that).

lazer_skin_mockup_saehn.png

I tried Eolair's background, and it looked pretty good. There was a problem with it, however... it would affect gameplay. If you have star tiles on a puzzle, they are usually an essential part of it. For them to get lost in the background would hinder gameplay, IMO. The effect was nice, but ultimately conflicting. So, I stuck to basic black.

The laser is a 3-pixel orange-yellow-orange beam. You probably can do that fairly easily in code, if you feel like it. I think it looks pretty cool. :D

Hope you like it. ;)

Nice! I like the colors. It looks really cool. I'd pick that skin over mine :D

Back